1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Octane

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BreezyTaco, May 9, 2009.

?

Which fuel octane do you use?

1. 87

2,159 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. 89

454 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. 91

773 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Other fuel additives

57 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Scientists - Chemists - Chemical Engineers - Consumers Advocate Groups - They are wrong and you are right .

You get more miles out of your truck with HIGH TEST
    hey man it is your money - enjoy

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    I run Shell's 91 in mine, which is a Top Tier fuel. I think I get excellent mileage. The performance is whatever it is.

I know that a minority of cars will perform better on premium, and a minority will perform worse, and most won't perform any differently at all. But that's not why I use Shell's 91. I use it because it contains no ethanol.

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    Creemore

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    This is especially true if the regular fuel contains ethanol, which doesn't have the energy content of gasoline. I, too, get better mileage on premium, as long as it's ethanol-free.

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

x2.

I run only Shell and BP fuels (93) in the truck because their detergent levels exceed federal requirements (even though BP isn't in the "top tier" cabal), they're widely available, and there's no ethanol in Shell.

The DD gets 87 octane Shell/BP, again for the high detergent levels.

5. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    i htought as a federal law, all fuels had some ethanol content.....maybe i am wrong

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    kanelakos

kanelakos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Binghamton, NY
    Vehicle:
    16 DC LB Sport
    Scientists were sure about global warming too.

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    When running Shell or Chevron premium fuel I noticed a difference in throttle response and mpg. I run both in my Matrix and Tacoma, but with my Matrix when I use cheap DOD gas I get about 24 mpg, but with shell I'm close to 30 mpg. I really dont drive my truck enough to know the difference in MPG but I'm sure it is higher with 91 octane

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Please don't say that, because no they weren't. Scientists were ALWAYS conflicted over climate change, what it might mean, and what it might do.

POLITICIANS and the MEDIA perverted the science for their own ends.

Please do not give science an undeserved bad name.

9. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    kanelakos

kanelakos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Binghamton, NY
    Vehicle:
    16 DC LB Sport
    All i am saying is scientists are human. humans make mistakes. They said coffee was bad for you, then good.... then bad again... now good again. If all gas was the same, they would have given up on different octanes a long time ago... most people would have caught on. When I use to run my 69 Camaro, I would put octane boost in and it made a huge difference. I DO notice a difference between 87 and 89... I dont care what scientists say. Cheers!

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    It would be more accurate to say science is fallible and not all research is perfect...which to be fair is what any real scientist will tell you, and that you should always be skeptical.

What it really tells us is that we as human beings need to educate ourselves and form our own opinions.

11. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I tried running mid-grade and super-unleaded both in my truck with an open mind as I really wanted to see some improvement in gas mileage and if that would work, well then great! In my truck, did not yield any tangible benefits. I almost ended up in a head-on with a semi-trailer tractor rig on a two-lane road when trying to pass because I had done that same move many times before on regular unleaded and damn near got myself killed because my truck felt like it had an anchor out holding it back. Needless to say my experimenting with gasoline was over with. I stopped in the next town and put regular in it and that is what I use.

Can't say about anyone else's truck...if they are convinced THEIR TRUCK runs better on the mid or super, well then it works for them in their truck. It's all good.

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    dog tired

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Well it don't really work , but they spent the money so --it must work, I have spent the money - or it costs more so it must be better - big oil loves these folks.

Hey it is their money ..... they earned it , they can spend it as they choose

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Y'all realize it takes 2-3 fills for the ECU to compensate for the change in octane hey?

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    STR8_BEAST

STR8_BEAST Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    like i asked in my question a few posts before, isnt that why you should disconnect the battery to clear the ecu's memory?

15. Mar 8, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

You crack me up man. I see you screaming about this all the time.

Firstly, Toyota themselves state in their technical information that the 1GR-FE engine has two different output ratings, one on 87 octane, and a second on 91 octane. This is due to the engine ECU adjusting valve timing (remember that whole VVT-i thing?) based on feedback from the knock sensors.

The people who built the engine, whom you do not know more than about said engine, have clearly stated that higher octane levels make a difference.

Second, many many people on this forum have calculated their mileage on multiple tanks of 87 and then calc'd on multiple tanks of 93. Many of these folks see improved mileage. The reason for the sometimes yes, sometimes no nature of the mileage gain is obvious - Toyota never mentioned anything about improved mileage with higher octane, just higher power output at the crank.

I understand what you're attempting to say, but until you come up with evidence more convincing than Toyota's own technical data and real world testing, I'm going to eschew your faith based approach in exchange for data from people who have actually tested dozens, if not hundreds, of these engines.

Enjoy your day.

16. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    Creemore

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Anyone who would make a blanket statement that higher octane fuel makes no difference in any car can't be taken seriously.

17. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

i must agree, in my turbo'd out mazda, with anything less than 91 s, it rain like shit,..some cars it makes a difference, our trucks, i am not qualified to, as regular seems to do the trick for me

18. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    nomad20012

nomad20012 Active Member

Member:
    Canada Bitches
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    I'm running 93 and notice a huge difference in power and performance. Then again, it is hopped up on methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl and a touch of slick 50.

19. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    dog tired

Member:
    NE Ohio
    I would guess that a lot of the high test users also think highly of this stuff also

20. Mar 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    roy826

roy826 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    I use the cheap stuff, works fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top