LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas Octane

View Poll Results: Which fuel octane do you use?
87 2,140 64.73%
89 445 13.46%
91 757 22.90%
Other fuel additives 55 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #21
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
93 before and after the supercharger install.
Usually Shell.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #22
Clever white boy.
wired_af is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
wired_af's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
91 is cheaper to run than 87 because the savings on the better gas mileage more than make up for the higher cost at the pump.
+1. I calculated it once, I think I was saving nearly $1 per fill up using 91.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #23
downey is on a distinguished road
downey's Tacoma Gallery
Where is 85 octane on the poll for those of us at altitude in colorado??...It's equivalent to 87 at lower altitudes
Old 05-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck has knock sensors as most modern ones do it retards the timing when it detects it to stop detonation or pinging. Higher octane will allow it to use more timing before the sensor says whoa there pardner.
So more timing will get you a bit more power.

We are stuck with only 91 here as many states.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
Stops Jihad on Contact.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
I run 93.
Like other have said, the engine just feels happier with higher octane gas.
That, and when gas was 3-4 dollars a gallon I would actually save money over the long haul using 93 as opposed to 87.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by downey View Post
Where is 85 octane on the poll for those of us at altitude in colorado??...It's equivalent to 87 at lower altitudes
Ah, so that's how it works: lower octane for higher altitude (believe me, I'm no engineer). I wondered about that.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
If your truck has knock sensors as most modern ones do it retards the timing when it detects it to stop detonation or pinging. Higher octane will allow it to use more timing before the sensor says whoa there pardner.
So more timing will get you a bit more power.
That is correct, sir.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Ah, so that's how it works: lower octane for higher altitude (believe me, I'm no engineer). I wondered about that.
Yeppo! The higher the Alt., the less likely your gonna have Knocking issues (pre ignition) as there is less air ( o2 )....
Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #29
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
sdnicker2000's Tacoma Gallery
Where I live we either have 87 with no ethanol or 91 with it. I get better mileage (usually 3-4 mpg over a tank) using the 87. And like one here said "It seems happier" using the non-ethanol. Have found this with both my Tacoma and the wife's Honda Pilot.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #30
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed the same milage between 89 and 91 personally. However, I do notice the engine is more responsive with the higher octane.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #31
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yeppo! The higher the Alt., the less likely your gonna have Knocking issues (pre ignition) as there is less air ( o2 )....

Detonation, not pre-ignition.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #32
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Detonation, not pre-ignition.
Thank you.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #33
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBtaco View Post
I really don't notice a diff between 87 and 91, maybe a few more miles to the tank on the 87. running a V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I noticed the same milage between 89 and 91 personally.
There is nothing to notice. It is a calculation. If you do the math you’ll find that you save money (or not). During the gas crunch last summer I saved about a buck per tank. Not much considering a fill up was about $80. However, why run 87 when you can run 91 for a buck less?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #34
geoff5093 is on a distinguished road
geoff5093's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to geoff5093
I tried running 93 octane for two tanks and didn't really see a difference, at least not for paying a $0.20 premium every time I fill up. So I run 87.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #35
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
where do you buy 93 octane? Can we even buy this in CA at a pump station
Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #36
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
93 is all we have in VA, 87, 89, and 93
Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVHARD25 View Post
where do you buy 93 octane? Can we even buy this in CA at a pump station
In NH most stations sell 87, 89, and 93. Some sell 91 as well.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
Kylie's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
93 is all we have in VA, 87, 89, and 93
Same here. I don't even remember seeing 91.

HOWEVER, we only have 10% ethanol gas here. I've searched and searched, asked on multiple forums, but it seems that's all that we have in SC.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Same here. I don't even remember seeing 91.

HOWEVER, we only have 10% ethanol gas here. I've searched and searched, asked on multiple forums, but it seems that's all that we have in SC.
Same here, I was never able to find any stations that did not have 10% ethanol.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #40
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Well I will try a tank of 91 (we get that here in TX) especially if it does not have any ethanol in it. Just not having any ethanol is a huge plus. Ethanol does not have the same energy density as does gas. It is also corrosive. Ethanol also hurts fuel mileage. I can see the argument about timing retardation if knock is detected but neither of my V6 engines have ever knocked on acceleration or towing that I could detect. It won't cost a lot to try it anyway.

Products Discussed in this Thread