Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas Octane

View Poll Results: Which fuel octane do you use?
87 2,145 64.69%
89 448 13.51%
91 759 22.89%
Other fuel additives 55 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
BreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
BreezyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Octane

I was wanting to know if the gas octane actually makes a difference with the engine (throttle response, torque, mpg) as well as is it worth the extra 2-4 dollars more. Also, if you choose to go with 91 octane can you go back and forth with the lower octanes without having any cause on the engine? To stay with the topic a little bit, is Chevron gas, Shell, and Mobile1 better choices versus other fueling stations?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
On the 1GR-FE, running 91+ octain does in fact make a difference in performance.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I need to run 91 or higher.. or else I have detonation.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Octane is badly misunderstood. Gasoline with higher octane DOES NOT PRODUCE MORE POWER. It burns slower so that in a higher-compression engine (or air-cooled if talkin' about a hog) the engine does not detonate. That is all the higher-octane gasoline does. Got it? If your engine is pinging badly on acceleration, then a higher octane gasoline would help alleviate that problem. Assuming of course that everything else (timing etc.) is OK.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
Octane is badly misunderstood. Gasoline with higher octane DOES NOT PRODUCE MORE POWER. It burns slower so that in a higher-compression engine (or air-cooled if talkin' about a hog) the engine does not detonate. That is all the higher-octane gasoline does. Got it? If your engine is pinging badly on acceleration, then a higher octane gasoline would help alleviate that problem. Assuming of course that everything else (timing etc.) is OK.
Who here said that it did?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't notice a diff between 87 and 91, maybe a few more miles to the tank on the 87. running a V6
Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
There are dyno results that prove an increase in hp and torque with 91/93 octane verse 87
Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
VancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud of

VancityCK's Tacoma Gallery
I run 87, but if I plan on towing, it'll be 91. My uncle always puts 91 in his 08 DC, claiming that his engine just feels "happier" with the higher octane. Its subjective, I know, but to each their own.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a lease, I use 87 and it seems to run smoother than with the 91, WEIRD.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Who here said that it did?
X2.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
91 is cheaper to run than 87 because the savings on the better gas mileage more than make up for the higher cost at the pump.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
91 is cheaper to run than 87 because the savings on the better gas mileage more than make up for the higher cost at the pump.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTycoon View Post
There are dyno results that prove an increase in hp and torque with 91/93 octane verse 87
As well as Toyota themselves listing a performance increase on 91+
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
NMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to all

NMG's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer put 87 in the first tank and I got 19 MPG with a very light foot on the pedal. Just filled up yesterday with 91 and that's most likely what I'll be running from here on out. Once you factor in the mileage differences, it will probably work out to 10-15 bucks more a month. Not a big deal especially when you consider the improved performance and the fact that I will be towing with the truck. Up here, the 91 also has more additives in it to help clean the engine so that's also beneficial.

On vehicles that are tuned solely for 87, then yeah, that's what I would run. Given that the 4.0 can run on both 87 and 91 (while seeing an increase in performance with 91), I'll take the latter.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
I have found the same.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Well I found that 93 gets me better gas mileage, but the same price per mile. There for I am not saving any money by filling up with 93, but I go longer between fill ups. And hell if the nicer stuff is better on my engine, then all the better