1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Enable remote door lock while truck is running

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by scmedic85, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Mar 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM
    scmedic85

scmedic85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greig
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4WD
    I am looking for a way to enable my remote to work while the truck is running or in the accessory position. I know that I can use a key to lock from the driver's door, but I often need to access equipment on the passenger side or bed of truck (popnlock installed) while the truck is running and locked or lock the truck while walking away after getting items.

Does anyone know of a way to enable this?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Mar 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM
    adamv22

adamv22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    29 Palms, California
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma Sport
    6" Rough Country lift, Toyota roof rack, Tepui RTT, Hidden 12000lb winch Pioneer 6.1 DVD stereo, Cobra III CB radio,
    Hmm...I am also curious as to how one would make this happen...I have a remote start kit installed but after the truck is running (from remote), the door locks are disabled..

3. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:07 AM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    I can only speak from my vehicle experience but after installing a full aftermarket alarm system with remote start I can accomplish this feature. I was unable to do this with the factory system as I believe it is a fail safe to prevent locking in your keys when it is sensed in the ignition cylinder.

Installing an aftermarket system allowed me to "bypass" some of the factory safe guards while still keeping the factory system in place as a fall back.

Probably not what you want to hear but that is my experience.

4. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:36 AM
    scmedic85

Member:
    First Name:
    Greig
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4WD
    Trying to avoid having to install an entire aftermarket system. Was hoping there was a way to fix with programming or simple wiring fix (although I can't think of any way that would be possible).

I know all of our Chevy and ford vehicles at work (EMS) can use the factory remote when running.

5. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:45 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Same here. My 2011 tacoma has the door locks disabled on the remote when truck is running . My wifes 2002 camry remote functions when car is running.

6. Mar 27, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    The only other idea I can come up with is to install a secondary and independent remote lock/unlock system (just lock/unlock without factory arm/disarm). The downside to this is you would be carrying a second remote/fob.

I personally would also wire it to a relay so that it is only operable when the engine is running. Easy enough IMHO.

The second remote lock/unlock system would be your best bet since it would only be pulsing the door lock/unlock wires and not using the factory key fob to accomplish the task. Since it is not the factory key fob locking the doors the factory system will allow it to lock with the engine running.

Hopefully that made sense.

A quick search brought this result http://www.amazon.com/Docooler®-Central-Locking-Keyless-Controllers/dp/B006QH9C5A but I am sure there may be other options/alternatives out there. Also, I can't say if this will work on our vehicles or not.

Good luck.

7. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:47 PM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    I am extremely interested in this also, as I like to let me truck warm up in the winter before I drive and I drive it for work and stay at hotels out of town.

jad3d, your idea would work but I would rather just use the factory system and take the factory remote with me after starting the truck.

8. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    Understandable. I have had my alarm system installed for over 3 years now and while I can revert back to the factory system if I needed to, it wouldn't be feasible for this test. I will check with my buddies if I can run some tests on their tacomas and see if there is some way it can be accomplished. No promises though.

9. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM
    kg5ie

kg5ie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    '14 PreRunner
    UltraGauge
    Seems like an easy fix, even though I have not attempted this. If someone can furnish a wiring schematic that includes the remote door lock circuit, it should be easy to trace where they break the connection once the truck is running. Then you just bypass it.

Anyone got a full wiring diagram?

10. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    I just use 2nd key.

11. Mar 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    The connection isn't actually broken. IIRC while the engine is running you can press the lock button on the fob and it will lock but the system immediately unlocks it. The trick that is desired here is to have the fob lock the doors while the engine is running and have it stay locked.

EDIT: After reading my statement and thinking about it you have a point about trying to bypass the signal. Currently I am thinking that it can be done using a timer relay on the unlock pulse wire.

Quick description: Use the lock pulse to trigger the timer relay to break the unlock pulse wire for about 2 seconds - assuming the unlock pulse signal is not repeated by the factory system until it is actually unlocked. Then after 2 seconds the key fob unlock button and pulse wire will be back to normal. So timer relay in this scenario should be the only extra item needed. Again this is assuming the factory system does not constantly pulse the unlock wire until it is unlocked.

I'm not sure when I can test on another tacoma but anyone else with some electrical knowledge should be able to pick up my train of thought.

True. Though some people typically carry one key fob and key.

12. Mar 27, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    jad3d

jad3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP XR
    Latest idea:

Currently I am thinking that it can be done using a timer relay on the unlock pulse wire.

Quick description: Use the lock pulse to trigger the timer relay to break the unlock pulse wire for about 2 seconds - assuming the unlock pulse signal is not repeated by the factory system until it is actually unlocked.

Then after 2 seconds the key fob unlock button and pulse wire will be back to normal.

So timer relay in this scenario should be the only extra item needed. Again this is assuming the factory system does not constantly pulse the unlock wire until it is unlocked.

I'm not sure when I can test on another tacoma but anyone else with some electrical knowledge should be able to pick up my train of thought.

13. Mar 27, 2015 at 9:26 PM
    scmedic85

Member:
    First Name:
    Greig
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4WD
    This is what I do right now. When I pull equipment from the passenger side I have to then walk back around to the driver side to lock the door.... If only Toyota would put keyed entry on both sides.

14. Mar 28, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    how about trying this first...
    it will take you 5 minutes to test...

remove steering wheel column lower trim, you dont even need to remove it, just lower it. there is a three (or two) wire plug on the bottom of the ignition tumbler. unplug it, and test. this plugs only job is to sense a key is inserted into the ignition for lock out protection and door buzzer. give it a try

7647a899-ab4d-4c38-ac4a-8efa27f456bd_35e753dfa8ee706a5433ea7b5914a3ef2c4a554d.jpg

15. Nov 29, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    JEtaco03

JEtaco03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    New Market, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    Lifted on 18s and tires, LEDs all around
    I'm sorry for reviving an old thread, but did unhooking the wires from the ignition work? I just got my taco a few months ago and its getting cold, so I would like to be able to securely warm the truck in the morning.

Products Discussed in

To Top