1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Son was super excited going off roading for the 1st time.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EpTx06Tacoma, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    OP: That is great that you and your son had fun wheeling. My daughters (although a lot younger 6 and 7) also love to do it and look forward to going out. It is good to get them out of the house to see nature as opposed to sitting around the house.

As for landphil's comment I do not necessarily agree with 18's not being a good offroad size, 20's I do agree with. I believe that depending on the wheeling that you are doing they may be some minor advantages. I do not feel at any disadvantage with my 18' wheels nor do majority of other variations I have wheeled with (jeeps, bronco's, F150's Chevy 1500's) If you are rock crawling there may be an advantage but I would say marginal and you would want to go with a taller tire anyways. there is slightly more sidewall but on an e rated tire as most of the MT's are nowadays a 17 does not flex noticeably more than an 18 especially on our lighter trucks. The contact patch is derived from the width of the tire and there are many variations based on the manufactured true tire size. I have Nitto Trail Grapplers that measure out far larger than the 285/65R18 stamped on the side to be exact mounted they measure 33X12.25. So if you are concerned with contact patch I would be more apt to research actual tire size than rim size. 18's do tend to be more expensive though, that I can agree with. Also with the wider (285 or wider) MT's you will most likely have to CMC and trim the plastic liner etc. That is true with 17" or 18".

2. Mar 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Increased contact patch when airing down has very little to do with width, rather length of the patch grows substantially, thanks to sidewall flex. The lower the profile of the tire, the less sidewall flex, less contact patch increased when aired down, and the less the tire tread conforms to the surface.

That said, we have no idea if OP will ever even air down his tires, and for what he has depicted in his photos, 18", heck, even 20" rims will probably work just fine on his prerunner on good solid trails like that. Especially with an upgrade in tread.

It really depends on how hard he wants to off-road it. :)

3. Mar 29, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    So are you saying that you will have a larger contact patch with a 265 vice a 285 or that a half inch of sidewall height (rim lip to ground) on a 10 ply sidewall will allow the tire to have more flex? In my opinion there are many factors that affect contact patch other than just the sidewall height, as an example tire width and load rating (6ply vs 10ply sidewall). I don't think I am quite understanding what you are saying. I tend to disagree that a larger tire with equal tire pressure will not have more mass in contact with the an object under the same internal pressure. I agree that a 17" tire of equal size in a C rated sidewall will have more area in contact with the ground than an E rated 18". I do not mean to debate just bringing a different perspective. The biggest factor is as you mentioned really what the OP is looking for as far as his personal needs and choosing what will work best for him.

4. Mar 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/air-down-basics/

http://www.backcountry4x4.com/bc4x4ArticleAirDown.html

Maybe these two articles can explain it better than I did as far as the increased length of contact patch goes, and yes, stiffer E-rated tires conform less than a C-rated of the same tire, same with lower profile tires vs. higher profile.

I'm thinking we've successfully hi-jacked OP's thread enough here though, but there's always room for a new thread on the subject, or likely a few going already too.

5. Mar 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    That kind of bonding can not be replaced :) Have Fun!!

6. Mar 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I like the TP setup.

7. Mar 29, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    Landphil, you are correct, sorry OP didn't mean to hijack. Have fun wheeling with your son.

8. Mar 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Cool that you are having a great time wheeling with you son....just be prepared for the inevitable....I take my nephew wheeling (and created a monster that would fit in right here at TW). He sold his Subaru, bought an 02 4-runner and hasn't looked back...his biggest problem now is finding the funds to do all the mods he has planned! So when you your boy gets old enough, figure on either a second rig, or better yet, giving up the drivers seat! My nephew had been wheeling, but the craze started when I swapped seats with him....

9. Mar 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Thaks man!

10. Mar 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM
    rngr

rngr Aix sponsa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4x4 2.7L
    If you want OME or bilstein, just call wheelers and explain your needs. They will hook you up. They are one of very few companies that I can say were enjoyable to do business with. Honest and helpful. Hell, they even send you candy. I love candy and I'm guessing your son does too. Good luck!

11. Apr 19, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    yotabuff

yotabuff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd 4x4
    Went with Skyjacker 3", still wanted truck to fit in garage, install wasn't difficult. Good to see someone else in El Paso.

Products Discussed in

To Top