1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IowaToyotas, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Mar 30, 2015 at 9:47 PM
    IowaToyotas

IowaToyotas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Super Charged
    Super Charger, 2 In lift, TRD pro 17in Rims, 285 Toyo all country tires
    I have Bil's all around with 285's. When hitting bumps the wheel jerks around but I think its normal, (just checking first truck...) Had an alignment after the front was lifted 2.5" and now when driving at any my wheel is always cocked a little to the right. If you hold the wheel straight it will go left, I've tried it on a lot of different surfaces highway low speeds. The only difference I've found from driving high to low speeds is the faster the quicker it will go left.

2. Mar 30, 2015 at 9:58 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Do you have your alignment specs?
    It sounds like you might have to get it checked out again.

3. Mar 30, 2015 at 10:05 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Since it's lifted over 2 inches you can't really get aligned to factory specs, so although you got it aligned, it isn't perfect. Investing in an aftermarket upper control arm will get you back to factory alignment specs. I believe that for 2-3 inches of lift you want about 0 toe, 0 camber, and 3 caster. Your steering will improve and your tires will wear more evenly, although UCA's range from about $350-$900 depending where you purchase them, in the end you'll be saving money. I don't want to scare you or anything haha but depending on how off your alignment is, you can wear a set of tires off pretty well and fast.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. Mar 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM
    IowaToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Super Charged
    I called the guy who aligned it and I knew that I wouldn't be right on when I got it back the factory parts are ment to be stretched to. I mean it drives pretty straight at low speeds your really can't even tell the difference. But, I agree UCA any one heard of Camber plates for these?

5. Mar 30, 2015 at 10:58 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Yea, I've noticed mine drives a little witchy at times with my spacer I have ( :facepalm: ). I'm just waiting for my OME lift to arrive now with my LR UCA's, I'm feeling optimistic that my steering will improve a lot, from what I've read it should. As for camber plates I have no experience and haven't even read about em. Is that possibly the moog kit?

Here's the link to the moog kit, not sure if that's what you're after:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ro...roblem-solver-caster-camber-cam-bolt-kit.html

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. Mar 31, 2015 at 1:22 AM
    tacozx6r

tacozx6r Well-Known Member

Member:
    The best way to put the jerking steering wheel is that your geometry is slightly off after lifting it. Ideally you want everything level with the ground including tie rods and control arms or as close as possible. That way they move in the same arc going over bumps and don't shove the steering left or right. Even with adjustable UCAs and correct caster you will have some degree of it. The wheel being off center should be an easy fix for any alignment shop, sounds like the were being lazy where you took yours. I'm surprised how many shops out there take money for their incomplete work.

7. Mar 31, 2015 at 2:32 AM
    bludweiaer

bludweiaer Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Pro DBL Cab,,2020 F3L Spyder...Polaris 800..
    avs rain guards,,,tyger auto tubesteps... stealth SR8's.265/70/17,ridge grapplers..shiftsense pro...
    i think my pro has alittle bump steer,, i can feel the wheel slapping back and forth when hitting bumps and on bumpy roads, and are roads in ne pa. are terrible,, i had it aligned twice at dealer where it was bought,, they said it was in specs but they only had 2014 software,, also there is play in the wheel, they said that was normal,it goes straight as can be on highways, but wanders alittle i took it to differant dealer for 5000 mile service, they said they coulnt align it because toyota already paid to have it done twice, and to take it where i bought it and they might align it again for free,,, dealer wont admit problems especially whenn they dont know how to make it right,, i think the KO tires are too stiff for the tacoma, getting rid if them soon,,,

8. Apr 1, 2015 at 12:40 PM
    IowaToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Super Charged
    Thanks for the replies, Its going in tomorrow for a realignment. I will update

9. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    IowaToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Super Charged
    Bad alignment I can't believe who ever did this the first time put positive camber in. This shop I took it to Roger Daniels Alignment up in Santee pro's it was fucked up but they were laughing because who ever did the alignment before them put positive camber in. Anyone in SoCal hit up Roger Daniels if you need work done great shop.

Another intresting thing also was they said they cured the 15-25 MPH vibration. They said they mixed a couple compounds of urithene together and injected it in the carrier barring said it completely eliminated the vibration. I'm going to try it.

Products Discussed in

To Top