1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Price...Base vs Off-Road, Double Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by off road, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    off road

off road [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 Double Cab TRD OR 4X4 & 2013 Reg Cab Base 4X4
    I am buying a 2015 DC 4X4 for work. This is a university geology department, and we need a vehicle that graduate students can check out, for field work.

In terms of the 4X4 system, the base model is similar to what is found on the Sport model (no A-TRAC in 4Lo, or Rear Locking Diff). We would of course do the "Yellow Wire Mod". My son has a base model Regular Cab, and I have to say that it is VERY capable off-road, and frankly will go anywhere my OR will go. (My hunch is that the lighter weight and shorter length of the RC, may help it out in a lot of situations.)

The other alternative is the OR, which has a more capable 4X4 system, with A-TRAC and the locking diff. The problem with the OR model, is that they throw in a lot of extras that we don't need on a student beater, that drive up the price.

But...I am surprised that the price differential between a base model and OR is only $3,000. Given that, I think I will have to go with the OR.

Edit...the online add says "Base" model, but looking at the specs more closely it is an SR5.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Apr 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    Probably good advice. We also have a Sequoia, and trying to explain when and how to use the center locking differential, is a challenge. (Plus, there are other issues like when to air down and how to air back up. There is something about human nature, that fights the notion of letting air out of your tires, when you are in trouble.)

On the other hand, I don't want to get a call at 3 AM from a couple little girls that are stuck somewhere out in the Mojave Desert and need rescue. This makes always having A-TRAC in 4Lo (provided nobody messes with the button once it is set), an attractive option. But, the Diff Loc and DAC, add a whole other level of complexity.

3. Apr 1, 2015 at 1:17 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Agree 100%. It will be tough enough explaining when and where they can't use 4 wd.
    Make cars as Idiot proof as possible. Any extra toys and someone will find a way to break it. Make it a four speed auto with the 4 cylinder. They are about as mundane as possible. Give them nothing with much power and as few controls and options as possible.

The base 4 wd truck with auto 4 cylinder will do everything you want. Anything more, and you should not be sending students out there anyway. There are lots of people out there who want a Toyota with all the gadgets when the base is an unbreakable truck will get you there and back with the best of anything else. Had several of them....they were all outstanding and simple enough my wife drove one daily through through mud and terrain you couldn't walk through.

4. Apr 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I agree with previous posters. 4cyl, 4 speed auto, 4x4, hand locks and crank windows. Whichever cab you need.

The price difference between the OR and the "base" is 3K, but the price difference between a 2.7L and 4.0L is 4K. So save 7K and get the lowest model 4x4. Don't let them sell you an SR5, it is a beater truck and I doubt they will take care of it.

5. Apr 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Another wkey will be the tires. Get some high rated (BFGs are good) ALL TERRAIN TIRES and not the all seasons that come with it. Check Tire Rack reviews but just about any BFG all Terran tire is good except for the dreadful Rugged Trail which some Toyotas come standard with. There are other males too......just get high rated ( don't listen to the dealer) all terrain and not all season tires

6. Apr 1, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    You just described my son's 2013 Regular Cab. I love that truck!.....but we need the V6, and I have never seen a recent model 4cyl double cab, anyway.

7. Apr 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    First thing we will do is trade out the stock tires for KO2's!

8. Apr 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    If your students are going to beat the shit out of the truck or forget to air down I'd skip the KO's and go to something commercial duty. I have university summer students, commercial tires last such as the Toyo M55 or Cooper ST Maxx

9. Apr 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I believe they stopped making them last year or so. If you're buying new, I say access cab. How many students does the truck need to hold?

10. Apr 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    Must be a double cab.

11. Apr 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Get a V6 SR5

12. Apr 1, 2015 at 6:53 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    I'm a consulting geologist specializing in mineral exploration and bought my Taco for field work. It has been a very capable and reliable vehicle. One thing I would suggest is replacing the POS rear leaf springs with Dakars or at least add airbags. The taco leafs are way too soft to offroad if filled with gear, even empty with 1 passenger is pushing it IMHO.

I have the DCLB SR5. Since the OR only has the short box, you are limited on the amount of gear you can bring out in the field. I added a full OME suspension with dakars for added lift and stability when loaded but not sure if that is an option for you. Definitely get good tires, 10 ply might be a good idea if students are using it. I'd also relocate the trailer plug to the plate light, it lasted about 100 miles on dirt roads before it desintegrated.

Here's a couple field pics working on a graphite project in Quebec. I should get a few pics with rocks, drills or in trenches this summer instead of showing off my toys :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Apr 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Excellent !

14. Apr 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    How do you feel not having A-TRAC or a locker on your SR5? Yellow Wire Mod, or are you ok with open diffs in 4Lo?

One of our guys has a Sport 4X4 long bed. It is just way to long for my taste! He won't let me do the Yellow Wire Mod for him. Says he is ok like it is.

15. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    Imageoguy

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    I did the yellow wire mod but never needed 4X4 low to get unstuck, or to get where I wanted. Regular 4X4 does the job. Probably the cheapest and easiest mod you can do so I see no reason why somebody wouldn't do it, easily reversible too.

16. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:07 AM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    Southwest US terrain....isn't Quebec though! We aren't just talking about driving down logging roads with some mud and snow. (Just check out some Easter weekend Moab pics!)

Personally, I do really love the simplicity of the SR5 though! We work with the oil guys from Utah State DNR, and they have a whole fleet of them. They get along just fine, with open diffs in 4Lo. (I have tried to get them to do the Yellow Wire Mod, but their motor pool guys won't allow it.)

In the end though, having A-TRAC as the default setting in 4Lo on the OR model, will most likely trump everything else....

17. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Fun fact, half frozen mud and snow has the similar hazards when compared to rocks and sand. If you bottom out odds are you find a small iceberg and your oil pan is toast. If you stop moving you get buried. If you are on the rocks themselves you better air down. At least rocks grip well! I live in Alberta, where we do have the mountains to go play in. Trust me, that guy from Quebec has a lot of the same problems you do.

Is your institution buying or leasing? What's the acquiring process like? I know at my wifes workplace, a small university, they always end up with the shitty ass base trucks no matter what due to funding cuts and streamlining. Even the light bars they buy are the cheapest Chinese, half the LEDS pre burnt out, units you can find.

Better hope someone doesn't make you buy a Colorado :D.

18. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    Imageoguy

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    You're probably right about that but then again, I've logged quite a few miles on deep muddy and rocky ATV trails with my Taco. People in your area would probably give better insight in the capabilities of the OR vs SR5 on your terrain.

19. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R

I lived in the Southwest for 20 years. 2WD and a locker and you'll be fine. Anything harder than where a locked 2WD can go, the students probably shouldn't be there as it is huge liability.

What Rock Lobster said...I wouldn't do a Tacoma for hauling students around...would go full size crew or a van.

20. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    Funny you mentioned this!!! If we were going to go through the university, they would think of it as a "motorpool" vehicle, and (no kidding!) insist that we get the Colorado instead.

But....we have an alumni donor who is footing the bill, so we are going to go through a foundation where it will belong to the department itself and not the university.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top