1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to paint Gray Grill Surround for Satoshi Project

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bootboiler, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Apr 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM
    bootboiler

bootboiler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Camberg UCA's, locking tailgate, hid driving lights, B 5100's, OME HD Leafs, bud built plates, Relentless rear bumper, sliders with kick, breathers on pumpkins, satochi grill, bed lights, JVC 730BT Head Unit, Finch Four Wheel Camper FWC, 1Up bike rack, 265/75 16 tires
    I have the below standard Gray grill surround, aftermarket, that I need to paint MGM. Do I need to prime this or can I use plastic adhesion promoter and go?

I was hoping to get away with 1000 grit sanding and some promoter. It is very smooth...

[​IMG]

2. Apr 3, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    Bowhuntercoop

Bowhuntercoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 2.7 Ecoboost , 2018 4Runner
    I sanded my chrome with 100, 200, and 400 grit. Wiped it down with acetone. Then just used spray paint with super light coat. Finished it with clear coat in light sprays. 2 months of pa winter with salt and rocks and its holding up great. It's all in the prep work.

3. Apr 3, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Guaranteed you are going to get a lot of bad advise in this thread. People will tell you how they did it and others will act like they did and tell you what they think they know. Paint threads here are a pure goatrope.

The best answer is to prep and coat per the manufacturers technical data sheets for the system you buy. Its been 30 years since I painted cars for a living but as I recall most, but not all, systems required an adhesion promoter for plastics.

4. Apr 3, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    bootboiler

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Camberg UCA's, locking tailgate, hid driving lights, B 5100's, OME HD Leafs, bud built plates, Relentless rear bumper, sliders with kick, breathers on pumpkins, satochi grill, bed lights, JVC 730BT Head Unit, Finch Four Wheel Camper FWC, 1Up bike rack, 265/75 16 tires
    Thanks Steel, your probably correct, there will be a lot of differing advice, I think I have decided to Prime it, as the plastic adhesion seem to state over and over it it is for bare plastic... So, I will wet sand and sand... and sand again....

5. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:59 PM
    bootboiler

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Your right, prep is key, but correct materials is too, not sure I did the right thing, as now I am thinking I should have done the plastic prep, then the primer, maybe it will all fall off... who knows, I do like a good project though...

6. Apr 3, 2015 at 9:59 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    I could be wrong but I dont think there is anything you can do to paint chrome and have a durable, long lasting, finish. Stuff just needs to removed first. If I were to try I would clean and degrease, sand all the shine off with fine grit, clean again, acid etch the hell out of it, prime, and paint. And still expect it to eventually flake off. But like I said, its been a long time.

7. Apr 3, 2015 at 10:01 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    @bootboiler - is that bare unpainted ABS or grey paint?

8. Apr 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM
    bootboiler

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    There is gray paint on it...

9. Apr 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    You are on the right track, no adhesion promoter. Clean and degrease, sand with very fine grit until every bit of the shine is off and you have a dull surface. Be sure to get into all the nooks, crannies, and edges. Clean and degrease again. Use a tack cloth then prime and topcoat if that is what your paint manufacturer says to do or just top coat. If the system requires a clear...clean and degrease, wet sand, clean, tack cloth, and spray clear.

10. Apr 4, 2015 at 7:53 PM
    bootboiler

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Thanks Steelhd, it requires a clear, so will follow your directions, thanks.

11. Apr 5, 2015 at 12:54 AM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    No problem. But honestly, follow the directions of the manufacturer. They all publish technical data somewhere.

Products Discussed in

To Top