1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Dash Light Problem After Stereo Install But Tail Lights Work

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lesliedp3, May 11, 2009.

1. May 11, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    lesliedp3

lesliedp3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    08 Deep Blue
    replaced entire stereo system,speakers, and added subs.
    Ok... I thought my install went smoothly until I found out that my dash lights aren't working... Here's my dilema...
    Installed a new Kenwood x993 deck.
    My A\C and gear shift lights work but no dash lights. I do have taillights as I checked all the fuses in both boxes and can't find any blown!
    I have this problem even if I put the factory deck back in or leave the deck's out all together.
    Any ideas before I take it into the dealership tomorrow???
    I am using wiring harnesses no splicing at all.

2. May 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    mikey05

mikey05 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Shortbed
    Too many to list
    Check to make sure that all of the connections are tight. recheck the fuses as you may have missed something. How are you testing the fuses?

3. May 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    lesliedp3

lesliedp3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    08 Deep Blue
    I'm using a test light to test them.
    I'm confused as to the fact that they don't light up even without a deck hooked up or with the factory deck installed. I did have a blown tail fuse to start with but I switched it out and I now have tail lights but no dash lights still...

Thanks for your help!

4. May 11, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Did you bump the dimmier dial when installing? Happened to me once, then I rotated the adjuster, and they lit up.....

5. May 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    lesliedp3

lesliedp3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    08 Deep Blue
    Yep I checked the dimmer control... It's all the way up. It still works too with the AC and gear shift lights... So that's not it either... My only guess is that there's a fuse or something with the wiring harness that I got that's not quite like the newer models...Even though it's the one all the books say to use. Thanks again.

6. May 11, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    gsuit11

gsuit11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport double cab 4x4
    Pioneer AVIC-z130BT, complete tacotunes audio upgrade with sound deadening. Full OME suspension upgrade.
    It could be that you have to hook up a dimmer ground wire, which should be an orange wire with black pinstripe. Just tie this into your ground wire and you may fix the problem!

7. May 12, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    lesliedp3

lesliedp3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    08 Deep Blue
    I took it to the dealership. I burned out the rheostat when I hooked up all the orange wires I guess. So first casualty in all my radio installs. Been doing this since I was in high school... Oh well lesson learned! I'll make more money tomorrow. Thanks for all your suggestions!

8. May 12, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    How did you hook up the orange wires?:confused:

9. May 12, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    gsuit11

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer AVIC-z130BT, complete tacotunes audio upgrade with sound deadening. Full OME suspension upgrade.
    orange/white pinstripe from harness to orange/white pinstripe coming from stereo. Then take the orange/black pinstripe from harness and connect it to the ground (black wire). Hope this helps!

10. May 22, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    cudaowner

cudaowner Member

Member:
    Panama City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4 Banger
    I just did the exact same thing using the kit from *********. Looks like I screwed up with the orange wires. Initially had the orange and orange with white stripe hooked up. Stereo wasn't dimming, and dash lights only came on when I turned the headlight switch to off. So, I thought...I should hook up the orange/black wire also (metra kit harness). So all three orange wires hooked together. At some point in time, I notice I don't have any dash lights at all. All other lights work fine. Dimmer control works fine for shift knob location. So, disconnect all orange wires...still same symptoms. Installed stock radio again...still no dash lights. Checked every single fuse in both locations..all good. Yes, I did have battery disconnected while working on the wiring each time.
    I considered previous post about grounding orange/black wire, but I checked it with a meter, and it has power coming into it with headlights on.
    Now, I don't care to hook up any dimming wires, but what should I replace? Would it be possible for the rheostat to work for the shifter lights and not for the dash? And, never worked with LEDs before, Is it possible I blew them all, and is there a way to check them with a meter?
    This seemed like it was going to be a fairly simple install. After googling and searching, looks like quite a few others had problems with their dashlights after a HU install. Cannot find a DIY solution though.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

11. May 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    gsuit11

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I dont think that you would have to hook up either of the two orange/white pinstripe dimmer wires but I would suggest trying hooking up your ground dimmer wire (orange/black pinstripe) o the ground (black). It worked for me and I had the same problem as you.

12. May 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    cudaowner

cudaowner Member

Member:
    Panama City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4 Banger
    Did grounding the orange/black wire work for you after your dash guage lights wouldn't work? Also, my black/orange wire seems to be carrying current. Did you happen to check yours with a meter? What prompted you to ground that wire. This bugs me, because it wasn't even listed on the metra package. The more I read, the more I think I probably burned up my dimmer rheostat.

13. May 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    gsuit11

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    The fact that the wire said dimmer ground prompted me to hook it up to the ground.

14. May 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM
    cudaowner

cudaowner Member

Member:
    Panama City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4 Banger
    Gee thanks

15. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    CableTec

CableTec Legend in my own mind

Member:
    J-ville and P-ville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    See sig.....
    Man, I JUST did the exact same thing as you last night while trying to match up my orange wire from my new Alpine HU to the orange/white, and orange/black from the Metra/********* kit. I started with all three oranges hooked together and ended up with my speedo gauge cluster only lighting up when my headlights were turned off......arrghh!

I finally found this thread and followed the advice to connect and crimp the black (ground) from the Metra/********* harness to the black and orange also on the harness, plus connect the white/orange from the harness to the orange from the Alpine. The ground from the Alpine I just sealed off.

While doing this rewire, I accidentally blew out my interior center shifter and running lights/tailights while working with the wiring to fix the initial problem, so it's off to the dealership tomorrow morning to get some new ones.

Good news is that my speedo dash cluster lights up just fine with the stereo and headlamps on now.

Let's hope I don't need a new dimmer rheostat.

16. Oct 26, 2009 at 5:17 AM
    cudaowner

cudaowner Member

Member:
    Panama City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4 Banger
    Mine did indeed end up as a burnt dimmer switch. I didn't get any help with instructions on bypassing the dimmer, so it was replaced at the dealership. Of course I didn't bother with the radio dimmer feature after that. Works well enough as is, and dash/instrument lights were much more important.
    Sounds like you lucked out with not blowing the dimmer switch. Maybe you only blew a couple of bulbs, or a fuse.

17. Oct 26, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    CableTec

CableTec Legend in my own mind

Member:
    J-ville and P-ville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    See sig.....
    Yep...it was a single fuse thus far......I replaced it and so far, I am pretty much good to go. My dimmer switch works to dim my center console shifter/HIVAC lights, but my speedo gauge cluster no longer dims, which isn't that big of a deal to me as I leave it at the highest setting anyway. The odometer and Alpine HU dims as normal when I turn on the headlamps as well. I could rip open the dash again to fix the minor things, but I have all my lights operational now.

18. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    mbeaver

mbeaver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4X4

Thanks this answer made me so happy. It all works now. I did hook the two Orange/White and took the Orange/Black to ground. Thanks.:)

19. Aug 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    BUMP I FOUND IT!!! I just made a thread as this is happening to me right now.

20. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    abarrassr07

abarrassr07 New Member

Member:
    morgan city LA
    pioneer avh 3200bt, (2) memphis m class 6x9's, (2) 6.5" polk components, (2) rockfordfosgate p3s
    awesome! i just bought my first taco and after two weeks already put a sound system with a pioneer indash dvd unit, im having the same problem and was getting ready to bring it in to the dealership untill i seen this forum. GReat info!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top