1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Greasing my Shaft

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Backt, Apr 7, 2015.

1. May 10, 2017 at 9:46 PM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    For the engineering minded, there is a legitimate reason to NOT use moly in a roller bearing (like a universal joint):

Moly permits excellent sliding lubrication (like in a plain bearing/bushing or the prop shaft into the transmission), but too much sliding lubrication in a roller bearing can cause the rollers to not roll.
    With enough time and wear, this can cause flat spots on the rollers and failure of the joint.

Is this likely to happen? Probably not unless the circumstances are very extreme.

The other aspect is that commercially available greases that are Moly fortified (example would be Valvoline Ford/Lincoln/Mercury grease which has I think <= 3% moly) typically don't have enough moly to cause issues.

That being said, if you want to go by the book, stick with a non-moly NGLI #2 grease for universal joints (Mobil1 Red, Mystik JT6, etc), and reserve the moly stuff for your prop shaft sliding portion.

2. May 11, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    3coma

3coma my kid says my truck is "Boss"

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    Vehicle:
    19 dcsb sport cement 4x4
    Mobil 1 red makes it easier to know when the old grease is expelled.

Products Discussed in

To Top