1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crux, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Apr 11, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    crux

crux [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    OR
    Honeycomb composite sleeper platform.
    I have a 2013 Off Road and the dealer recently swapped out the original wheels and lug nuts for the Baja/Pro faux bead lock versions. The spare tire and rim remain the original. I do frequently travel in the back country and it is only a matter of time before a tire goes flat.

With the original spare rim and new acorn style lug nuts I do not believe this will work. Question is will the original spare still work with the new lug nuts?

Searching online I found two images of the lug nuts. First is the new faux bead lock ones and the second are the original off road versions.

DSC_0063.jpg
    HPIM0373.jpg

2. Apr 11, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    SprtBkr

SprtBkr Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 5.7L Double Cab 4x4 Inferno
    It looks like it should work fine, as both sets of lug nuts are tapered and should hold the steel spare wheel just fine.

3. Apr 11, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    I ran into the same problem in Moab. The new lug nuts will work fine. The only difference is the new lugs are thinner to fit inside the hole on the new rims. And they are fancier looking. :)

If you're still concerned, throw six of the old lugs in with the jack and use those if needed.

4. Apr 11, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    I wasn't sure either, so i left 6 lugs in the glovebox from my sport wheels just in case.

5. Apr 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    The Baja's come with a steel spare, so the splined lug nuts should work. My TRD came with a steel spare and doesn't require the flat washer lug nuts, but they also worked.

6. Apr 11, 2015 at 1:11 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The splined will work fine. We had a flat on my buddy's truck and put it on with the other ones (all he had) and the flat part at the end of the long spacer didn't even contact the wheel. Put your spare on to test it - always test everything!!

We were so uncomfortable with his setup that we called a friend and had them drive over 2 hours into the woods just to bring us lug nuts. We had an older slide in camper in the truck, so we weren't taking chances with an extra 1k pounds in the bed 50 miles from pavement. We both carry extra lug nuts now.

Products Discussed in

To Top