1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Sport vs. Off-road 4WD question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EchoDeltaSierra, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Apr 18, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

EchoDeltaSierra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Nitro 4.88 gears OME suspension ST/Maxx 255/85R16s
    Hello all,

I'm fast approaching purchase of my first Tacoma. I've been talking with a friend about my options for a 4WD drive system and wanted to solicit some further advice.

From my understanding the Sport does not have a rear diff lock where s the off-road does. Also, from my understanding, it's best to have both front and rear lockers, so even with an off-road, installing something in front is optimal.

Given that used TRD off-roads are less available and more expensive, would a sport with aftermarket upgrades be a better option?

Finally, it that is a better option, do any of you have a recommendation on a locker install (e.g. ARB AirLocker) and an approximation of cost for that upgrade?

Based on this information, I may buy a '10 TRD Sport today.

Thanks all.

2. Apr 18, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    with the 09+ TRD off roads 4x4's you get ATRAC by means of a self contained electric hydroboosted master cylinder, which is quite alot better than the vacuum boosted / seperate abs unit on the other tacomas. This acts as a very aggressive brake actuated limited slip in both the front and rear axles. With the rear locked via the standard to the off road elocker, the front gets pretty close to "locker status" with atrac enabled.

That stated the sport with an ARB in the rear will get you just about as far as the stock TRD off road, and the sport will arguably have a slightly stronger diff due to its slightly different design vs the stock elocker.

3. Apr 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    Lostsheep

Lostsheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 6spd 4x4 OR
    6112s and 5160 , Dakars , Superbumps x4 , u-bolt flip , All Pro Skids (hacked and raised) , 265/70R17 KO2s, SEMA wheels, couple of machined things here and there

^^^this.

Most people aren't going to need a locker at all. If you aren't planning on wheeling it fairly hard, you dont need a locker.

4. Apr 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    That's the big question. I'm not quite sure how far I'll push this. I'm really looking at this a a Midwest adventuring vehicle. Canoe carrying as far into the Boundry Wathers as possible, Boy Scout trips, maybe an among trip to the Black Hills or Colorado, etc. My wife and I do lots of exploring and light weight camping the upper Midwest; I'd like a vehicle that can take us places our AWD SUV cannot.

This will not be a daily driver or a kid hauler. It's a secondary vehicle replacing our Harley which needs to be set aside due to medical issues.

5. Apr 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    I'm new to the new toys also, but the sports are EVERYWHERE. if you have no problem doing upgrades, just find an SR5 and put lots of cool parts on it.

6. Apr 18, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    If you want the truck to go to extreme locations without you adding more money to it or adding non-factory components (that would void warranty), then the OFF ROAD 4WD is the answer. The SPORT has no more traction features than a base or SR-5 truck, and it's function is one for 'sporty looks' with it's fake hood scoop and color matched bumpers, etc. The ONLY Tacoma that has more traction features from the factory is the 4WD OFF ROAD TRD: A-TRAC (automatic traction system on front and rear tires that stops spin and matches rotation across the axle) and the REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL. Only the 4WD OFF ROAD TRD has the hydraulic brake booster to achieve the locker-like traction of A-TRAC. ALL other Tacomas have a vacuum brake booster. The bed length is 6 ft. on the Access Cab and 5 ft. on the Double Cab.

7. Apr 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I think a lot of people overestimate their need for such traction aids. I go off-road on occasion, nothing real serious, but I feel pretty confident I will almost never need any of the advanced traction options on my O/R.

I've seen people here talk about using 4WD on paved roads when it's raining. :rolleyes:

8. Apr 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    Holeshot

Holeshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    15 Doublecab TRD Off Road 4 X 4
    I have a couple of questions relative to this thread.

First I read a lot of comments about the 8.4 differential being stronger than the 8.0 which seems logical but I have not read numerous posts by owners of the 8.0 TRD Off Road having differential failure. So what gives, is the 8.0 seriously weak or just not as strong as the 8.4?

Second. Is 4wd even offered on the TRD Sport?

9. Apr 18, 2015 at 1:05 PM
    Holeshot

Holeshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    15 Doublecab TRD Off Road 4 X 4
    Thanks Rock Lobster and DoorDing. Both of you answered both of my questions.

Much appreciated.

For the record, so far I really like my TRD Off Road but honestly have not stressed it in any way.

10. Apr 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    yup this.

The "8.4" in the non Elocker diffs technically is stronger... i think it has a 10 bolt pattern on the ring and cradle caps.... vs non cradle caps and an 8 bolt pattern on the elocker "8.0" diff.

Physically the diff's ring gears are the same size, but the distinction was made for 8.0 = elocker diff, and 8.4 = non elocker to make things easier.

I feel as though alot of the 8.0 broken diff stories you hear are from people abusing the locker / generally getting further into a bound up situation than what would be possible with a non locked diff.

That stated, the 8.4 non elocker diff with an ARB will be stronger for sure.

BTW i love all the traction aids on my 2013 TRD Off Road 4x4. Atrac really comes in handy.

11. Apr 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM
    EchoDeltaSierra

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    I really appreciate all of the info. As I prepare to get the new-to-me vehicle and start my build, I'm still looking for ballpark pricing for a front & rear locker install on a 2010 TRD Sport. This will help me negotiate and budget, should I choose that I need more traction.

Thanks.

12. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    If you think you rear locker, get the off road to begin with. By the time you finish installing front and rear lockers in a sport, you can afford the off road, probably in a newer package. Front and rear lockers are more only necessary in areas you will beat the crap out of your truck anyway. The off road is better in other ways then just the locker....worth getting from the get go. Having said all that,any Tacoma 4 wd will take you most places any beginner would care to go.save your money, buy an sr5.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  13. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    Kysport

Kysport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Sky Metallic Limited
    True or false? I'm not sure if the locking differential in the off road only engages in 2 wheel drive and not 4 wheel?

14. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Here's a couple of points...
    1) Use 4WD to NOT beat the crap out of the truck. 4WD (specially in low range) is to crawl over or up or through places that 2WDs need to take a run at and use momentum to cross or climb. Momentum means speed... and speed kills!
    2) Traction systems (lockers or A-TRAC, etc.) take the 4WD advantage to a new level. They reduce or eliminate tire spin so that power goes to the tires with traction that will actually move the truck. Spinning tires do no good, damage the roads, and can make your truck a beater.
    3) Tire pressure is the most under-utilized traction aid. Anyone going off road (2WD or 4WD) needs to get a tire pump and accurate gauge because deflating the tires will greatly improve any vehicles performance in traveling off road. It also reduces the chance of getting a rock puncture flat.

15. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Unless you mod the truck (locker anytime mod), the locker on 4WDs trucks only works in LOW RANGE 4WD.

16. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    DCLB FTW

17. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:26 PM
    Kysport

Member:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. So am I correct in thinking that for driving on paved roads in 4H such as in snow, that the Off Road and Sport models perform the same? Thanks again.

18. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:32 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Yes

19. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    Kysport

Member:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad that I ordered the Sport. I really like the looks of it better and I never go off road.

20. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Did you get a DCSB or DCLB ?

Products Discussed in

To Top