Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

black dots on paint and muffler is really black

Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Formarly 08TRD4X4RadientRed
Dockhead has a spectacular aura aboutDockhead has a spectacular aura about

Dockhead's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy black dots on paint and muffler is really black

so a few weeks after washing my truck I start to notice black dots on the paint above the exaust and the inside of the muffler is really dark black. Is this normal or should I be worried? The truck is only like 8 months old.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
did you do exhaust too? or only intake.. that could be the problem
Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
This is normal. Happens to me all the time.

It all comes off when I wash my car.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #4

only the intake, seems like its normal from the responses so far
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think carbon buildup on your paint is normal, I dont have it.And no other car I have owned ever had it. But I have seen it before.
It could be running rich, but I don't know

ya know.. thinking about it, are you sure its not just tire/street gunk?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #6

Its only on one side, I think. I did think of that though. I think I might take off my intake and see what happens
Old 05-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
jrsmokestacks is on a distinguished road

jrsmokestacks's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does that, usually after a long trip or heavy towing. As long as you gas mileage is normal and there is no oil consumption I wouldnt worry about it. My last tank was 25mpg so I dont think it has anything to do with running rich.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Black dots on the paint? The only thing I can imagine is tar, but you said its only on one side. Take a picture for us, because I don't think I've had that problem. I think it could be condensation from inside the exhaust pipe, flying out and getting caught in the draft, thus causing a little to fling onto the truck. Sounds far fetched, but I can't imagine what else it is.

As for the inside of the exhaust pipe... bud, it doesn't matter if you have 10,000 or 100,000 miles on your truck, the inside of the pipe will be black.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Try some clay bar to take it off the paint.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
do you only do short trips around town? Could be that it's just water (condensation build-up inside exhaust) that is dirty and spraying up on your paint.

Short trips aren't long enough to burn off all the condensation that can build up.

Pics of said dots would be helpful, and if they just wipe off easily or not.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
COmes right off, on exhaust side. Sucks because you wash your ride and then all this crap comes off the exhaust. Time to go straight pipes out the rear...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
probably carbon. Rev it up a bit for 5 sec intervals. It will help get all of the bad gunk out
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost96Romeo View Post
I call B.S.

Not if it's a 4-banger. I get 21 and change just rolling around town. Have not taken a highway trip with it yet...but it'll be better than my town mileage.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #15

The dots come right off, I just didn't know if it was normal or not.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
do u still have your mud flaps on?looks like u do.cause if u dont ide say its garbage from the street.thats a lot of black specs though.if your flaps r on then gotta b carbon.ive never had that on mine.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #17

mud flaps are still on and its only on the passenger side.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
10-4.ide say u gots a carbon issue then.ive never seen it that bad nor hearing of it that bad.meybe time to visit the dealer and ask some questions.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
yamabiker is on a distinguished road

yamabiker's Tacoma Gallery
I have only had my Taco for a couple of months and have noticed black fine particulate above the exhaust on the rear quarter panel. A bit of black in the tail pipe too. Nothing like the pictures shown here. My truck is white which shows it easily. Getting 19-20 mpg around town; 22mpg best on highway so far.

Yamabiker
Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
Not if it's a 4-banger. I get 21 and change just rolling around town. Have not taken a highway trip with it yet...but it'll be better than my town mileage.

Ah true that.....