Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lug Nut locks...which one is better?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Lug Nut locks...which one is better?

i've been procrastinating about getting lug nut locks for my 2008 sport. i have the stock 17" alloy wheels.
after reading and seeing the horrible shit that happened to TC2008 i've deciding to stop procastinating and get the lug locks.

i've heard of the TRD ones

and the Gorrilla ones

the gorrila ones seem to have a better key that is less likely to break or break the lug itself and i can either get the standard 4 locks or have all my lugs (24lugs) all lock lugs compared to the trd ones.

does anyone have experience with either? which is better? pros or/and cons?
Old 05-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't your stock wheels come with a lug nut lock? Mine did, but it's only one on each tire.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Really? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^????
Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
yeah really! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i have the TRD locks...all of my lug nuts are the locking TRD locks...they came with my Ivan Stewarts
Old 05-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear050 View Post
Didn't your stock wheels come with a lug nut lock? Mine did, but it's only one on each tire.
no. none are locking. are they supposed to come with them?

so are the trd ones pretty good? i heard of people breaking the key or the lug by torgue too hard. not sure if thats true or not though.

i'm leaning towards the gorillas because they have a full set of ALL 24 locking lugs. (yeh sounds like over kil but better safe than sorry if i have the cash to spend), i don't think trd has that.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mine came in 4 packs of 6 lug nuts...with 4 keys...

i havent broken a key yet
Old 05-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #8

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
mine came in 4 packs of 6 lug nuts...with 4 keys...

i havent broken a key yet
where and how much did you get yours if you don't mind me asking? i've seen a pack of 4 trd lug locks for like $35 online. haven't seen them with 6 in a pack. must be different part #.

they aren't acorn style either right? i believe mind are the flat ones.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-frax View Post
where and how much did you get yours if you don't mind me asking? i've seen a pack of 4 trd lug locks for like $35 online. haven't seen them with 6 in a pack. must be different part #.

they aren't acorn style either right? i believe mind are the flat ones.
ummm

mine look just like the pic you posted...but they came in the boxes with my wheels (i have trd ivan stewart wheels)

i didnt pay for either...won them in a give a way
Old 05-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Danzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Danzer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking for a set as well but in black. I'm going to check with Discount Tire tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
just have your dealer get them, don't scrimp on security.(if you still have stock wheels)
that said, I tried to find other brands and none really fit as well as the genuine toyota ones. One on each wheel is plenty to discourage criminals.

BTW this was my 1st mod, 2nd was a alarm.
and these don't always come from the dealer on a new vehicle, it's technically an option.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #12

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBtaco View Post
just have your dealer get them, don't scrimp on security.(if you still have stock wheels)
that said, I tried to find other brands and none really fit as well as the genuine toyota ones. One on each wheel is plenty to discourage criminals.

BTW this was my 1st mod, 2nd was a alarm.
and these don't always come from the dealer on a new vehicle, it's technically an option.
thanks for the input. looks like the trd or toyota brand is the way to go. i'm probably gonna stop by the dealership tomorrow since i have the day off and also still have a 10% off coupon for accessories.
hopefully they aren't too expensive at the dealership compared to the online sites.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrom...ht_1154wt_1197
I found these cheap. key word is cheap. not sure how a spline lug would be secure, but got to be better than a regular lug.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
The standard locks toyota sells are made by McGard. I've had McGard lugs and locks on every vehicle I've owned and never once did I have a key go bad. Just make sure you never use an impact tool on your locks/key.

I have purchased all of my "Tough Nuts" from Summit Racing. They always seem to have the lowest total cost.

Marc M
Old 05-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i didnt pay for either...won them in a give a way
You suck.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-frax View Post
thanks for the input. looks like the trd or toyota brand is the way to go. i'm probably gonna stop by the dealership tomorrow since i have the day off and also still have a 10% off coupon for accessories.
hopefully they aren't too expensive at the dealership compared to the online sites.
10% off of what? How much do these things cost? I've never looked into them, but my wife's new car has one on each wheel and it got me thinking about getting a set for the Taco.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
sweater914 will become famous soon enough
sweater914's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
The standard locks toyota sells are made by McGard. I've had McGard lugs and locks on every vehicle I've owned and never once did I have a key go bad. Just make sure you never use an impact tool on your locks/key.

I have purchased all of my "Tough Nuts" from Summit Racing. They always seem to have the lowest total cost.

Marc M
I'll second not using impact wrenches on the locking lug nuts, I've had the head of the locking nut (insert gutter humor) snap off, they were McGard lug nuts, the dip shits at Sears just didn't understand. Never again.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
fttank is on a distinguished road
fttank's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered a set of TRD locks earlier today online at the Toyota Parts Store. I got freaked out when I saw what happened to that dudes truck from Garden Grove, CA. I'm about 5 miles from where he lives!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #19

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
10% off of what? How much do these things cost? I've never looked into them, but my wife's new car has one on each wheel and it got me thinking about getting a set for the Taco.
when i bought my truck the dealership gave me a coupon for 10% off any accessory in their store. online they are bout $35. im guessing that at the dealership they would be like $40 or up.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

ive used the impact gun on mine every time...no issues whatsoever...and ive got 24 locking lug nuts

the TRD ones are the spline style btw