Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help with uneven leaf spring (side to side)

Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Help with uneven leaf spring (side to side)

After I got back from a recent camping trip, the bottom leaf in my TSB leaf pack was slightly angled when looking at it from the rear. I think the rear of the bottom leaf in the leaf pack on the drivers side was slightly pointing to the center of the truck. Also, since I got back from this same trip, I've noticed a slight 'clunk' when coming to a stop, maybe also when taking off from a stop (could be when just letting off the brake). I'm hesitant to call it a clunk because it is so slight, but seeing as these are two things I noticed together, I'm wondering if they might be related.

On the camping trip, I got stuck in a pull-off on the side of a road through the mountains. It was pouring out, the road was slick, and the pull-off was mud/loose dirt. Plus my rear drivers side tire was in a pot hole (a pretty big one at that). I did spin a littl bit, but I didn't try too hard to get out, I just put it in 4x4 and reversed right out. Anyways, I'm thinking something here might have causes what I described above.

I guess all I'm thinking is that the rear needs to be tightened. I got the TSB leaf pack a few months back on my 2009, and since then it's just been road driven.

Is this worth dropping the truck off at the dealer, or should I just let it go?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
take a picture for us.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Get under your truck and re-torque the u-bolts holding the leaf packs to your axle.

And post some pictures.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
I attached a photo below. It was the best pic I could get - the lighting was really bad. This is the drivers side leaf spring.

I do want to correct myself here, it bottom leaf is shifted so that the rear of it is pointing outward towards the tire, not towards the center of the truck like I originally mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with uneven leaf spring (side to side)-photo.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Get under your truck and re-torque the u-bolts holding the leaf packs to your axle.

And post some pictures.
I know I could grab a socket wrench and just start cranking, but I dont have a torque wrench so I wouldn't really have an idea of how tight I need to make things. Also, is it best to lift the rear end up in the air before tightening these down?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTaco09 View Post
I know I could grab a socket wrench and just start cranking, but I dont have a torque wrench so I wouldn't really have an idea of how tight I need to make things. Also, is it best to lift the rear end up in the air before tightening these down?
The FSM states the "U" bolts should be torqued to 35#.....Im not sure this is correct. I have experimented with them torqued at 85# and 95# and have not had any issues. You should be ablt to borrow a torque wrench from an auto store like Pepe Bous, or Auto Zone.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The FSM states the "U" bolts should be torqued to 35#.....Im not sure this is correct. I have experimented with them torqued at 85# and 95# and have not had any issues. You should be ablt to borrow a torque wrench from an auto store like Pepe Bous, or Auto Zone.
Do I need to loosen everything first, then straighten out that bottom leaf?

I have a toyota dealership down the street from my at work, I'm thinking it might just be easier to drop it off there during lunch or something.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTaco09 View Post
Do I need to loosen everything first, then straighten out that bottom leaf?

I have a toyota dealership down the street from my at work, I'm thinking it might just be easier to drop it off there during lunch or something.
The bottom leaf is your over load leaf....It looks fine to me, so you may just want to re torque them. Dropping it off at the dealership is a good idea, but check the torque afterwards. Like I mentioned, the FSM has it listed as 35 lb-ft., and me and some others belive thats listed incorrectly.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
Quote:
The bottom leaf is your over load leaf....It looks fine to me, so you may just want to re torque them. Dropping it off at the dealership is a good idea, but check the torque afterwards. Like I mentioned, the FSM has it listed as 35 lb-ft., and me and some others belive thats listed incorrectly.
Alrighty. I appreciate the advice. I'm thinking a torque wrench would be one of those things that would come in handy to have. I probably just need to get one.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would have consulted a shop manual, but it's never a bad thing to go straight to the top when searching for answers.

Attached Thumbnails
Help with uneven leaf spring (side to side)-flying_spaghetti_monster_2-thumb-514x514.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
So Toyota took a look at it. They agreed that the helper leaf was definitely off center, but they see that from time to time and it isn't really anything to worry about. They said the creaking sound I was hearing was coming from that side. They took it all apart, lubed it up, straightened it out, and put it back together.

In the whole process, they compared my leaf packs (TSB leaf packs) to other tacomas on the lot and thought it was aftermarket. It was a funny conversation, I told them that it was a TSB leaf pack to fix the issue of bottoming out when carrying heavy loads, and it was supposed to enable it to haul the advertised amount. I told them that the leaf pack was in fact a toyota part.