Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

creak over bumps

Old 05-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
jantolov is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
jantolov's Tacoma Gallery
creak over bumps

I have a 09 TRD Off-Road and I have noticed that when I go over certain bumps I get a creaking noise from the drivers side front quarter area. Almost sounds like it could be coming from the door hinge area. It seems to get worse when its colder outside. I sometimes even notice it when I get out of the truck. Last time at the dealership I couldn't recreate it because it was warm outside and they just looked at me like I was crazy. I work on a construction site and everyday driving through the gravel lot my truck creaks and drives me crazy. Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Make an appointment early in the AM with your dealer & take either a tech or the service writer on a ride along to recreate the noises. Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a squeaky driver rear.
Pretty sure it's the bushing, i've lubed it up before and that temporarily solved it. Also could be dust in the springs somewhere. I've had that problem before.

Either way, good luck getting that taken care of.
Mine drove me insane (it still squeaks)
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
rome is on a distinguished road
Army:
rome's Tacoma Gallery
creaking noise

Taitem-

I am having the exact same noise as you described. Did you ever solve the problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
I hear my truck squeak a lot when I have my windows down and I got over bumps.. I always thought it was my springs or something... I will have to take it up there because it drives me nuts!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
TACO SUPREME
c0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK1/E-6
Name: Dennis
c0astie31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to c0astie31
look at your coil spring and see on the top the rubber sleeve , spray some wd in there and rock the truck a little, it will go away. mine drives me nuts and i carry a can with me at al times.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantolov View Post
I have a 09 TRD Off-Road and I have noticed that when I go over certain bumps I get a creaking noise from the drivers side front quarter area. Almost sounds like it could be coming from the door hinge area. It seems to get worse when its colder outside. I sometimes even notice it when I get out of the truck. Last time at the dealership I couldn't recreate it because it was warm outside and they just looked at me like I was crazy. I work on a construction site and everyday driving through the gravel lot my truck creaks and drives me crazy. Any ideas?
Yes. I have it. Precisely where you described it too.

When I get out of my truck the door will make the sound emanate from the front support pillar. I can then stand on the door sill and produce the sound. However only once. Then I must drive the truck around and park when I open the door I hear it, I can stand on the door sill again and hear it, but only once. I must repeat the cycle again to reproduce the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome View Post
Taitem-

I am having the exact same noise as you described. Did you ever solve the problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Mine is unresolved but I had the dealer look at it once and the tech immediately thought it was a broken pinch weld but they never really looked into it more than that. I have rock sliders welded to my frame and the tech tried to BS me saying they were the cause when I know they are not because the sound was there prior to the sliders.

I do plan on a dealer visit soon to make them find it.

In this video of mine if you watch and listen you can hear the creaking sound, especially towards the end of the video.
You can also hear the brake actuator solenoids increasing brake pressure too, but that sound is a distinct mechanical and with a steady cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF1WD...layer_embedded
Old 05-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvhrse View Post
I hear my truck squeak a lot when I have my windows down and I got over bumps.. I always thought it was my springs or something... I will have to take it up there because it drives me nuts!
I've got the same issue. I drives me nuts. I haven't figured out what it is yet. Going to take it in soon to have it checked out.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
CRFan1 is on a distinguished road
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, My 08 does the exact same thing on the drivers side...a "creak that comes from the door sill - quarter panel area and I can replicate it by pulling into my driveway (I.E. the curb) at an angle. I have tried everything from spraying the bushings to taking off my step tubes. Most days its there, some its not. Drives me kinda nuts but I have learned to live with it.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Yes. I have it. Precisely where you described it too.

When I get out of my truck the door will make the sound emanate from the front support pillar. I can then stand on the door sill and produce the sound. However only once. Then I must drive the truck around and park when I open the door I hear it, I can stand on the door sill again and hear it, but only once. I must repeat the cycle again to reproduce the sound.

Mine is unresolved but I had the dealer look at it once and the tech immediately thought it was a broken pinch weld but they never really looked into it more than that. I have rock sliders welded to my frame and the tech tried to BS me saying they were the cause when I know they are not because the sound was there prior to the sliders.

I do plan on a dealer visit soon to make them find it.

In this video of mine if you watch and listen you can hear the creaking sound, especially towards the end of the video.
You can also hear the brake actuator solenoids increasing brake pressure too, but that sound is a distinct mechanical and with a steady cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF1WD...layer_embedded
Enough was enough. I took my truck into the dealer for analysis. After a long process they seemed to have solved my creaking sound. After the dealer tech isolated the location of the sound which was the lower door hinge area / door sill and tried everything they could think of to fix it, they eventually opened a support call to their corporate tech support.

Corporate tech support went through the laundry list of obvious things and after a half hour of searching tech notes they came back with a possible solution.

Their tech support instructed them to use penetrating oil to lubricate multiple points of the pinch welds and door area. Then let it sit and dry for at least an hour and then test. So the tech did just that, he applied thorough amounts of the penetrating oil to multiple points of "A" pillar and let it sit. I was told that he was able to peel back the weather stripping by the lower door hinge area and gain access there through a small hole. He was able to spray the oil in through the hole using a straw extension. No oil was used on the inside of the cab.

The penetrating oil dissolves the slag build up in the weld where the noise was originating from. Because it's dissolving the excess material the noise can't come back. The oil doesn't harm the welds.

After multiple treatments a road test was performed and the sound was gone!

When corporate tech support was again contacted for a permanent solution, the dealer tech was told that it should be a permanent fix.

I am very impressed that they were able to make the sound go away.

No more annoying creaking sound!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting but I am guessing that unless they used some kind of sticky waterproof type lube, it will be a matter of time before it returns. They put a band aid on it instead of fixing it.

I am not sure I even want to waste the time getting mine fixed cause I am not sure they will even do anything.

I only have 18000 miles and a year and a half of ownership so I have time to decide but this stuff kind of makes me mad cause its like the 3rd creak or squeek I have had and the other two (the infamous dash rattles) I have fixed myself.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #13

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
CRFan1, I would give the dealer a chance to fix it. They did fix mine. Here are some more comments on mine:

Actually I spoke to the tech today and he explained in detail why it would not come back. The oil they used is a penetrating oil that dissolves the slag build up where the noise was originating from. Because it's dissolving the excess slag build up at the weld, the noise can't come back. I got the distinct impression it was a slight defect in the welding process. I do feel much better after speaking to him about it.

He had confirmed that there were only two documented cases where this had occurred before.

If you want you can PM me and I'll give you the T.A.S. Case # that they generated for my truck it could be helpful to you.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
CRFan1, I would give the dealer a chance to fix it. They did fix mine. Here are some more comments on mine:

Actually I spoke to the tech today and he explained in detail why it would not come back. The oil they used is a penetrating oil that dissolves the slag build up where the noise was originating from. Because it's dissolving the excess slag build up at the weld, the noise can't come back. I got the distinct impression it was a slight defect in the welding process. I do feel much better after speaking to him about it.

He had confirmed that there were only two documented cases where this had occurred before.

If you want you can PM me and I'll give you the T.A.S. Case # that they generated for my truck it could be helpful to you.
Ok that would be cool!

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I am not gonna take away from the fix but honestly I am skeptical. I am a mechanic (airplane) and I don't know of any penetrating oil that dissolves slag....rust yes The fact is, that if or when what ever they used dries up (and maybe it won't), it will come back but only time will tell. I would ask that you keep us posted in the short and long term and thanks for all the info.!

Do you know WHERE they sprayed the oil? Did they take off the interior kick panel? Cause I tried spraying lube when this first occured in outside locations to no avail. I would love to try this myself.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Check post #7...

All the info you need to get this fixed.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-car-help.html
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
Check post #7...

Nope, that's not it. This is not a leaf spring squeek at all. It is clearly coming from the front quarter/door sil area.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm a certified welder and have never heard of a penetrating oil that is used for dissolving slag

My guess is you have either a cracked weld, incomplete weld, or a misfit joint rubbing and the penetrating oil made it's way into the joint and lubed it up enough to temporarily stop the noise.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #18

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Ok that would be cool!

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I am not gonna take away from the fix but honestly I am skeptical. I am a mechanic (airplane) and I don't know of any penetrating oil that dissolves slag....rust yes The fact is, that if or when what ever they used dries up (and maybe it won't), it will come back but only time will tell. I would ask that you keep us posted in the short and long term and thanks for all the info.!

Do you know WHERE they sprayed the oil? Did they take off the interior kick panel? Cause I tried spraying lube when this first occured in outside locations to no avail. I would love to try this myself.
Yes. I went back and edited my first post about the fix based on the conversation I had today with the tech. Here is what he said:

Quote:

he applied thorough amounts of the penetrating oil to multiple points of "A" pillar and let it sit. I was told that he was able to peel back the weather stripping by the lower door hinge area and gain access there through a small hole. He was able to spray the oil in through the hole using a straw extension. No oil was used on the inside of the cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
Check post #7...

Thanks. But we in this thread are discussing solving complex sounds originating from the body of the vehicle, not the rear springs.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I'm a certified welder and have never heard of a penetrating oil that is used for dissolving slag

My guess is you have either a cracked weld, incomplete weld, or a misfit joint rubbing and the penetrating oil made it's way into the joint and lubed it up enough to temporarily stop the noise.
I would agree....I am guessing it's a bad spot weld causing this in the first place.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #20
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
If you've added D-rings under your bed bolts you can get some creaking out of that too. They loosen up over time on rough roads sometimes. I had some creaking and tightening up those bolts quited things back down.