Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota wants to buy my truck back? Scam?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota wants to buy my truck back? Scam?

Hey everyone. I received a letter from the dealership that I bought my tacoma from today. It says that they are selling more tacomas than ever, and inventory is low. They knew I have a low mileage 06 tacoma (it was in for service recently), and offered to buy it back and give me a great deal on something else.

Is this a scam or something that happens normally?

I might take them up on the offer, thats why im asking.

Dominik
Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
I would call them and ask.

What are you interested in trading for?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
not a scam...regular thing...car companies use it to keep you in a "new" vehicle...making payments...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i get them from 3 different dealerships...and my truck was bought at carmax...but buying parts at whichever dealership i happen to be near at the time...they all have my address
Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I thought the same thing, but it does say in big bold letters and underlined that there is no purchase neccessary. Im gonna call them tomorrow and find out. I dont really wanna trade for anything, just wanna get rid of the truck and this is an easy way to do it.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
I've gotten these before. They make more profit on used cars than new. If they pick up your car and put you in a new one, they are just making more money. If you want to dump it though, it might be an easy way out, but don't get lowballed.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
please tell me your joking... this is the oldest trick in the car sales book...

they just want to sell you a new car.. you and 100,000 other people got the same 'personalized' notice...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #10

gainman's Tacoma Gallery
i know this is a common notice, i dont think i got some super selection. I am saying it says no purchase necessary on the notice. Has anyone called about this before? Or do I have to buy a new vehicle for this crap.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
you just go in and get bombarded by sales people... you dont have to call... its all a sherade dude... its just as if you drove on the lot without a notice,,
Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
I dont really wanna trade for anything, just wanna get rid of the truck and this is an easy way to do it.
You wanna ditch the Taco? How can we dissuade you?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha
rngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to all
Location: The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst America)
rngrchad's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota JAPAN offered me 12000 dollars for my 1997 Tacoma w/ 120,000 miles if I bought another Toyota!!!
I don't think Toyota recalled the frames on 06 however so you had best look into it.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
You wanna ditch the Taco? How can we dissuade you?
X2
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I have received 3 of those damn letters from 3 different dealers......I dont see many new trucks running around either and mine said that their is an interest in many people wanting a 2005....
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
santacruzer is on a distinguished road

santacruzer's Tacoma Gallery
A couple of years ago every time I'd go into the dealership, a salesman would ask me if I wanted to sell my 2001 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD. It was low mileage and in great shape, with a camper, towing package, racks and a Truck Vault box for sporting gear. They said this model was in high demand.

All the more reason to never trade it in! After I bought my '09 I sold the '01 privately and got a great, but fair price. You'll ALWAYS do better selling yourself if you can handle the minor hassles.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #17
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
i know this is a common notice, i dont think i got some super selection. I am saying it says no purchase necessary on the notice. Has anyone called about this before? Or do I have to buy a new vehicle for this crap.
Carmax, and some other "conventional" dealers buy vehicles outright. Problem is, they only give you approximately what you'd get if you traded the vehicle in, which is usually much less than the vehicle is worth-Otherwise, it wouldn't be profitable for them to do it...
Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 AM   #18
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Shit this means when the 010s come out.. im gonna start getting letters of them wanting my 09.. I hate junk mail
Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 AM   #20
DontPanic is on a distinguished road
Navy:
DontPanic's Tacoma Gallery
news flash... this just in... car dealerships are not charities. They will not undertake any venture that does not improve their bottom line. The buyback letters were designed by psychologists to make you go to the dealership wanting to make a deal instead of just shopping increasing their advantage. Their secondary objective is to increase traffic as research shows that they sell a vehicle every X number of customers that walk through the door. If you increase X, regardless of reason, you increase sales. The third objective is to make you feel good about the brand you bought (your current vehicle is in demand!) to ensure that when and if you buy it will be another one from them. Pretty clever.
Can't believe people are still falling for this!?!