Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tires backward?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tires backward?

I took my '09 for it's first oil change yesterday and opted out on rotating my tires since they're holding up just fine. However, when I got home and took a look over everything I noticed that the stock dunlop's are mounted in the opposite direction on the drivers side. I just noticed this after 4500 miles and it came from the dealer like this. I plan on going back to the dealer tomorrow to get them remounted and I guess I'll rotate them since they'll be taking the wheels off anyways.

Anyone else ever run in to this before?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
wbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 46210 munitions system spec. F-4 phantom
wbhvacer's Tacoma Gallery
I dont understand what you are saying, are the letters backwards or do they all read from left to rt ?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the dunflops are not a directional tire as far as i know.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was confused at first, but the tread on the drivers side is in the opposite direction compared to the passenger side. There's also an arrow on the tires (indicating direction I guess); on the outside of the drivers tire the arrow points backwards and on the inside (under the truck) the arrow points the correct way. I'll try to take some pics of it.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

are these the 245/75/16 or 265/65/17 dunlops?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah... pics are needed.

I didn't think that the stock tires were directional tires anyway.

Picture, in your mind, taking a tire off the driver's side of your truck, then mounting it on the passenger side. Assuming you keep the same side facing out (white letters vs. black) it's going to be mounted "opposite" of the driver's side. As long as the tire isn't a directional tire, everything is fine.

On a side note, NEVER rotate directional tires side to side. Only front to back. You'll be fine driving on dry pavement, but when it rains you could be in for some trouble. A directional tire facing the wrong way will trap water rather than move it out from under the tire. Very dangerous.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #7

Firefighter:
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pics.
The first is a side view of the rear driver-side tire. Following that is a top view of the tread. Arrows indicate direction of wheel rotation when the truck goes forward.

Last two are of the rear passenger tire.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

those tires are not directional....forget the arrow and look at the tread patterns....exactly the same. directional tires will have a pattern that will conflict with driving them backwards.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah... your tires are fine. The 'arrow' is just the Dunlop logo. Ignore it.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, that little arrow you see is the Dunlap emblem and is no way associated with the tire directionality.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #11

Firefighter:
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
emblem? god I feel like an idiot.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post
Dood, don't worry about it. Here, this will make you feel better, and it is all true!!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...3318-halp.html
Old 05-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #13

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Dood, don't worry about it. Here, this will make you feel better, and it is all true!!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...3318-halp.html
I'm actually surprised that Krazie didn't post in this thread advising to take all of the tires off, then drive to the dealership on the rims to get a whole new set. (You know... b/c if you drive too much on the original tires you won't be able to return them.)
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
I'm actually surprised that Krazie didn't post in this thread advising to take all of the tires off, then drive to the dealership on the rims to get a whole new set. (You know... b/c if you drive too much on the original tires you won't be able to return them.)
Ouch! Burnnnnnnnn.....
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #15

Firefighter:
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
haha, I don't think I'm that bad. At least I like to think I'm not.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Would this thread go into the "fail" thread?

No worries, I've seen worse things....but this IS pretty funny.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
BUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZ5's Tacoma Gallery
Humorous;but I always do the front to back rotation & never the x.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
fixedforbroke is an unknown quantity at this point

fixedforbroke's Tacoma Gallery
haha, oh you guys
smoke em if youve got em
Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't feel bad!! Atleast you're observant....
Being observant only fuels curiosity which fuels the learning process!

Some people drive around with their tires just about riding on the rims and wonder why they're getting bad gas mileage.