1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer oil change!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jb9281, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Nov 6, 2007 at 11:20 AM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod
    You own a Toyota Truck, so you can't be THAT retarded !;)

Besides, the dealership having insurance and validating your claim in the event of a catastrophe are......well, you get my drift.

Only trusted hands touch my rig! .....and that goes for my truck too!;)

2. Nov 6, 2007 at 11:43 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    The chances of them validating a claim may be slim to none, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather have the risk on their hands, not mine.

3. Nov 6, 2007 at 12:05 PM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod
    By the way, I just remembered a trick I picked up from aviation. We use what we call "torque strip paint" that we put across all of the nuts and bolts. What this does is tell us (visually) if a bolt/nut comes loose because the paint stripe is broken and mis-aligned.

Put this stuff across your pan bolt, tranny drain bolt, and rearend drain bolt, and if you can get your hands in there do it to your filter between the filter and the block.

After you get the oil changed go look to see if the paint line has been broken. If it has you know they at least tried to remove the plug/filter.

Make sense? Hope this helps you.

4. Nov 6, 2007 at 9:12 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    when i used to work for a lawnservice a couple years ago, we took the trucks to jiffylube for oil changes, one time i went and apparantly they didnt put more oil in mine because the engine blew up on the highway doing 75mph, which isnt the greatest thing to do in an e350...no power brakes or steering haha, full of chemicals at that

5. Nov 16, 2007 at 2:21 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Up here in Mass. my dealer charged me $22 for the oil and filter with a coupon from the paper. This was dino oil and it was just before winter so I could not do it outside.
    They did put on a official taco filter , as I had marked the old one. They did not offer syn oil but a call to them later said they had no problem putting it in. Even though Toyota does not "officially" endorse it.

You have to stay away from Jiffy Lube and places like that. They are just awful.

When I did my last change in Sept the filter was tight but a half turn with a filter wrench was all it took.

Jeff
    06,V6,6spd, 4x4, SR5 Bone stock still.

6. Nov 16, 2007 at 2:54 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    My Taco recommends 0W20 or 5W20 oil for best performance and fuel economy. I plan on changing my own oil though. Two things of thought:

My dad taught me long ago that before going in for an oil change to put a mark on the oil filter so you can catch it easily when viewed from above if they don't change it.

Second I had bought my wife a new Nissan and I detailed the engine as I always do. At 60k miles during a recall visit the dealer commited on how nice the engine was maintained and gave me a coupon for a free oil change. Later while I was on a trip I told my wife to take it in for the free oil change. She called me later that on her way home the car started smoking and when she pulled over oil was all over the engine compartment (they didn't replace the oil cap. Long story short - never again as they could not make it write with me.

I just bought 0w20 full synthetic at the dealership for $5.99 qt. Couldn't find it elsewhere unless ordering by the case. Anyone else running 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic?

7. Nov 16, 2007 at 3:02 PM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Yep, i had that happen to me too but not with the oil filter. I took my truck in for oil service and tire rotation. When i got home i inspect my tire just to make sure they were rotated. Well turns out that they did not rotate my tire. I immediately call down to the dearlership and was told that the grease monkey forgot to rotate it. Anyways, the guy said that he'll note it in the system and i can always get my tire rotate the next time i do a service w/them. Couple months later whet back in for oil service and get my tires rotate.

8. Nov 16, 2007 at 10:53 PM
    morcheez

morcheez Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    05 XRunner BSP
    A BUNCH
    i just change mine myself ...takes all of 15 minutes most of the time being when the oil is draining...and it cost like 30-35 bucks ...and a trick i heard for getting a filter that just wont seem to budge is a screwdriver...just jam it through the side and u should have plenty of leverage ..might make a little mess but its better than struggling with it

9. Nov 16, 2007 at 10:57 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i've had to do the screwdriver thing a couple times on other cars, and it does work pretty well, just messy but who cares?!!? oil and tranny fluid were meant to be a part of our lunches anyway, and i wish they made a cologne that smelled like various automotive fluids, including turn signal fluid. that stuff smells GREAT

10. Nov 16, 2007 at 10:59 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    but one thing that doesnt smell so great, while i was typing up that last post, i dutch-ovened myself laying in my bed with my laptop lol, for a moment my life flashed before my eyes, death seemed near, and then i shook my covers out and i was fine haha

11. Nov 17, 2007 at 4:25 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    gsm, I think if you look at your manual(at least my 06 manual) says recommended oil is 5-30, whether its syn or dino, in extreme (!!!) weather I believe that you can use the 0-20 oil...... I will look in my manual to double check.
    You got robbed when they didn't tighten the oil cap, that is the time when you should take a picture and bring it back to the dealer and specifically the guy who gave you the free oil change coupon. This is poor customer service and they should at least clean the engine bay for you or compensate you.

Syn Mobil One is WalMart here in Mass. is 5qts for $21 in a jug. Of course you have to buy a single qt at 5.50 to make up the half qt difference. Why the heck doesn't Toyota either make it 5qts or 6.

Jeff
    06, V6, 6spd , 4x4 Brilliant Red.

12. Nov 17, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

i agree with making it either 5 or 6 qts....not 5.5. one way you can run 6 quarts is to start using the mobil1 m1-209 filter(dont quote me on this, but im pretty sure i've seen a few people doing this)....its bigger and can flow more oil. that way you can use 6 quarts and not worry about the half quart.

13. Nov 17, 2007 at 8:21 AM
    Chief Tezz

Chief Tezz Active Member

Member:
    Stone Mountain, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5, Long Bed, Indigo Ink
    Contemplating all options for upgrades.
    I totally concur with Tacomaman on this. I just changed my oil this week, using the 5-30 (Castrol) and a K&M filter. The hardest part was get that darn factory filter off :mad: (Broke my freekin filter wrench). If I don't have to take my vehicles to the dealer, I won't. Maybe it's trust issues or just plain BAD service but...I get knots in my stomach once they drive my vehicle back off into the shop. DO IT YOURSELF

14. Nov 17, 2007 at 10:00 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Last year it was like 10 degrees out so I went to a Jiffy lube so I did not have to lay on the frozen tundra and the same S#%T happened to me, so being who I am I went back to tell them my displeasure, I could have been talking to a log, they could care less!! I wrote the corporate office an E-mail, I could have been talking to a log, they could care less!! So my point is cowboy up and take care of your oil changes, I use Pennzoil 5w-30 non sythetic because availability, and at 50,000 miles I will put in a quart of Slick 50. Drive on :puke:

15. Nov 17, 2007 at 11:02 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Sorry gsm, didn't look to see if you had a V6 or not , maybe fours use different weight oil.

16. Nov 17, 2007 at 3:14 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

hey man, id stay away from slick 50 if i were you. i've only heard bad about this stuff. if you are going to do your oil changes like that, then at 50k miles, use lucas oil addative, or use a bottle of hyperlube.......either one in place of 1 quart of oil. i still say go synthetic though.

17. Nov 17, 2007 at 3:56 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    No problem. My 2.7 only recommends 0w20 & 5w20. I was shocked. I've always use 10w30-50 on all my rides. It's stated these weights in the manual and on the oil filler cap. Both for full temp range & the 0w20 for best performance.

My manual states mine takes 6.1 qts. with filter - a lot of oil for a 4 cylinder! I won't waste my time changing oil and not the fill that's half _$$. Do it & do it right or don't do it at all:eek:.

I'm going to continue shopping around for other locations for oil - but I have time as my 08 has only 380 miles on it so far.:D

18. Nov 17, 2007 at 5:59 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Why synthetic ? what's the advantage ? you can't really run the oil any longer when the filter reaches it's capacity to clean the oil.

19. Nov 17, 2007 at 7:17 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you are partly correct about when a filter reaches its maximum filtering potential, but then if you feel like 3k on a filter is long enough, then just change the filter and top off the synthetic.

advantages are: synthetic is good for longer change intervals(up to 5k miles, with some oils claiming more than that..see amsoil), better protection at start up and cold temps, can boost oil pressure, better fuel economy....to name a few.

20. Nov 17, 2007 at 7:22 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    One has nothing to do with the other in regards to oil & oil filter.

Synthetic oil is a better lubricate, (does a better job) and doesn't break down or turn to sludge as bad or as quick as dino lubricate. Which means you can go longer between oil changes and with better lubrication, though I don't go beyond 5k miles (I prefer 4k). End result is a better/longer runner engine. I've used full synthetic in my wifes care (1990 Nissan Sentra) since new and it is still running like a champ for the last 18yrs.

A good quality oil filters purpose it merely to "filter" out contaminents from the oil preventing premature wear and tear on the engne. True, when a fliter "reaches it capacity to filter the oil", that will hamper your oil pressure and filtration. But a good quality oil filter with good oil, and a well maintained engine will last as long, or longer than the oil - Dino or Synthetic. Which is why some say it's a waiste to replace the oil filter every oil change. BUT I cann't see adding 5 qts of quality new oil with a qt. (give or take) of old oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top