1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer oil change!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jb9281, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Nov 17, 2007 at 7:29 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

exactly, and this is why i run a mobil1 filter with either mobil1 full syn or pennzoil platinum full syn. and i will keep doing so. i never change just the filter....always oil and filter, but some people think filters are bad after just 3k miles(and i would say they are if they are using a junk filter like fram), so they just change the filter then and top off the oil.

2. Nov 17, 2007 at 7:38 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Dido, Great Minds think alike ;) :evil:

3. Nov 17, 2007 at 8:03 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Let's say I was to use synthetic, and was just changing the filter every... oh every 3000 miles and topping off, when would I know the oil has given all it could and was no longer effective? Color ? Smell ? Appearance ?

4. Nov 17, 2007 at 8:09 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I like the idea of better cold weather starts, 'cause damn it get cold up here in crapchester !!

5. Nov 17, 2007 at 8:35 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    It's just my opinion and I may be wrong :eek: . If anyone knows facts or opinions to differ please feel free to step in.

Opinion (has worked well for me see my post above - Nissan Sentra):

1.) If you use high quality Full Synthetic oil, under normal driving condition the oil shouldn't begin to degrade in quality for the first 4-5k miles and is probably good to 8k plus while degrading.

2.) A high quality oil filter under normal driving conditions with well maintain/newer engine should provide optimal filtering of the oil for up to 10k plus miles. Older, higher mileage engines will need filtration changes more often.

3.) Worn Synthetic oil on newer/lower mileage engine will show a darkeningin color while older/higher mileage engines will show discoloration and start to have a slight to stronger odor.

4.) Harder working engines in dusty, heavy hauling/towing, warmer/hot climates will break the oil down faster.

To protect my investment, I change both oil & filter every 4-5k miles so I know I always have high quaity sythetic lubrication at or very near it's optimum and filtration is peak.

Just my 2 cents worth. For me it's a small price to pay (doing it myself) to maintain the heart of my investment. I'd say I received my $$ worth with my wifes car. Hope to get the same longevity from this Taco (my first NEW truck).

Hope this helps and doesn't send you astray :spy:

6. Nov 17, 2007 at 10:20 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    im with ya 110 percent. but while a filter may be good for up to 10k miles,and syn. oil may be good up to say 10/12k miles, ill still change mine every 5k(oil and filter)...........peace of mind for the longevity of my investment also!!!

7. Nov 18, 2007 at 4:10 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods

:thumbsup:

8. Nov 18, 2007 at 6:35 AM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    Anyone that has respect for their vehicle will not go much over the 4-5k range. I think everyone on this forum is with you on how often you change yours.

9. Nov 18, 2007 at 6:56 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    GSM, you might look at CostCo's or BJ's or Sam's , at one time they had very good prices on syn oil, but poor on filter selection. I noticed in our local WalMart they are carrying Mobil One filters for $9.00 . These are supposedly better quality filters and I know that some TW folks do use them. You might even talk to your local Taco dealer about a deal on a case price of filters.

Like I mentioned before our local WalMart had 5-30 and 5-20 for $21.for a 5 qt container. I will be stocking up on enough Mobil One for my truck and girl friends Subie for coming year. As I expect the price of refined oil to increase.

Jeff
    06, V6 4x4, SR5, Brilliant Red Bond stock still

10. Dec 1, 2007 at 12:31 PM
    Oaklandish

Oaklandish Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Orion competition amp and sub
    I kinda dig changing my own oil. It also helps that Joe the mechanic is an old friend of mine.

11. Dec 1, 2007 at 1:28 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I was chatting with a career taco mechanic and we were discussing syn oil and the change times etc. He mentioned just use a good quality oil filter and on a new truck or car, change about 5-6K. He also suggested if in a bind that it could go to 6-8K . On a higher mileage car you should stay with the 5K change out. This was his opinion after seeing hundreds of cars come thru the shop over a 25yr period. He also mentioned that trucks did not have that sludge problem some of the 90's toyota's had.
    Seeing these days it hard to do much work on your own on new cars, its nice to get the oil and filters accomplished by your self.
    Like everyone has been saying, its frequent maint that extends the life of a vehicle.
    Jeff, 06,V6,4x4, SR5,6spd, Radiant Red, bone stock still

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Those Jiffy Lube type places are constantly stripping out oil pan and diff bolts

13. Feb 13, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    If you still have the old oil, get a sample of it analysed to determine if it's condition matches the mileage. In fact, I think Amsoil tests its own oil. Perhaps others on here can advise.

14. Feb 13, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1

what??? was it sitting on the lot for 2 years?

15. Feb 13, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I thought the OP was writing a letter to his oil change.

I'm glad I had to work in sales a couple years during college and graduate school. I got to learn all the slimy, twisted logic tricks salespersons use to try to convince you they're right when they're very very obviously wrong the vast majority of the time.

16. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    I usually buy filters from Toyota dealership they have a good deal when you buy three filters or more, so I just get more and keep them in the garage, I think that they only charge me like $5 per filter. Which is not bad, then I go to BJ's and get Mobil 1 synthetic oil (1 box) which is like close to $30 and then I get my hands dirty. So for less than $35 and 10 minutes of work I have my oil changed, and I know that it is done right which is Priceless.

17. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    For those of you who live in a snow state, buy a fumoto drain valve. If you have the room and change your own oil, buy it in bulk, it'll be even cheaper and you won't need to run to the store every oil change. I got a case of 10 filters for $20 shipped (I had a coupon from ebay), and I bought 20 gallons of 5w-30 amsoil, I kept ten and my buddies bought 5 each. I change the oil for all my and friends cars, and luckly the landcruiser, lexus LX470, and Tacoma all take the same filter. Can't beat getting amsoil for $6 a quart.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Feb 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    saltshaker

saltshaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    johnny
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road MGM AC
    AFE CAI, Fold-a-cover
    I forgot to replace the cap on my ford ranger once when I was about 18. I was out in the middle of nowhere when the engine started knocking, some nice old man gave me some oil and I tied a knot in a rag to use for an oil cap. That rag with the knot in it was my oil cap for a long time, till I changed it again. Now I always put the cap somewhere that will keep the hood from closing in case I get distracted.

I really should change the sequence I do things in I guess and fill the oil last, so it's cap off, fill oil, cap on, but I get in to big a hurry.

19. Feb 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Never take it back to the dealer, and do my own oil changes

20. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    Oil change is such a simple job, you would think you could take it anywhere and not have to worry about whether it was done right, or even done at all.

Went to a local quick lube that had recently opened, got there about 8 minutes before they closed, they told me they didn't have time (no other customer was there) to do it before they closed, have to bring it back tomorrow. Real good way for a new establishment to build up some good will. (Think they would worry about doing a good job, when they obviously don't even want the job?) Anyway, drove to another quick lube type place several miles and lots of traffic away, got there about 30 seconds before they were to close, they waved me right in and 5 minutes later I am driving away with new oil and filter. All those places aren't the same, depends on who is running them.

Another time I had it done at Shit-Mart, they did not replace the filler cap, mess all over the engine, at least the cap was still laying where they had left it. The wife got her oil changed at the same Shit-Mart, when she got home there was major oil dripping from engine, I take a look and they have put the new filter right on top of the old filter gasket which had stuck to the engine. They were damn lucky they weren't buying a new Honda engine.

You must have to be a certified idiot to even get an interview at some of these places. Such a simple thing. Such a major expense if screwed up. Do it yourself. Obviously the dealers aren't any better. People in this country that take pride in their work and actually care about doing a good job are a small minority. I would be flat out severely humiliated to provide a customer that kind of bobble-head dont-give-a-shit service. I change my own oil because it doesn't take any longer than having some clown do it, and then having to double-check the clown's work.

Products Discussed in

To Top