1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer oil change!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jb9281, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:12 AM
    jb9281

jb9281 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab SR5
    15" Borbett Alloy Wheels, Chrome tool box, Door lock beeper mod, AFE Dry air filter, HD Radio,
    My first oil change was with the local dealer. They did the synthetic "Amsoil" oil change. Charge me $68.00. Saturday i did my secound oil change myself.
    I almost could not remove the filter. Took me 30 minutes and 3 different oil filter wrenches to get that thing off. Then i noticed that the filter number did
    not match my toyota replacement filter. The first set of number were the same, but the secound set were different. I called the parts dept to make sure i had the correct filter and they told me the number was for the original
    factory filter. The dealer did not replace my filter at the first oil change!!!!
    Now i am not sure he replace my oil with Amsoil. What woud you guys do? :mad:

2. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd have it checked at an independent local lube place or preferably a full-fledged mechanic to see what they think. I would think they could tell the difference between synthetic and the stuff they put in at the factory. If it comes back that they didn't replace, I'd have a few words with the service manager, and if that didn't work, I'd talk to the local news media.

3. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:58 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I don't know what I would do, but I will tell you this much - I am going to inspect my filter and plug after EVERY oil change now!

4. Nov 5, 2007 at 8:45 AM
    death valley fan

death valley fan National Champions

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    2007 TRD OFF-ROAD
    Sounds like the guy at the shop may have had a problem getting the filter off and said screw it, I'm a lazy bastard and he'll never check it. I know some others have had a real hard time getting the factory filters off. Just my theory who knows.:confused:

5. Nov 5, 2007 at 4:23 PM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    I had an issue when I took mine in. I asked the dealership: Its 15 more for the same stuff I can get down the street at XYZ Tire & Service. What extra value do you add? His reply: "Do you want someone making $6.50 working on your truck." My reply: It doesn't take a genius to change oil and rotate tires I am just too lazy to do it.

I promptly called the service director the next day and lectured him on how to teach positioning and objection resolution. (I teach financial sales)

6. Nov 5, 2007 at 4:41 PM
    bbarian333

bbarian333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06, Accesss Cab, TRD Sport
    TRD exh, K&N drop in,TRD seat cvrs,tsb springs
    I just got my oil changed "with synthetic" and my tires rotated and they charged me 105.00 . Then the guy changed my address on the receipt ."i believe so that i wouldn't recieve a customer reveiw". I can tell they changed the filter though. Look at your reciept and see if they charged you for a filter.

7. Nov 5, 2007 at 4:44 PM
    jgunccrugby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    Ok, I am not complaining anymore...
    Mine was only $46, but I didn't get synthetic. I got Castrol GTX.

8. Nov 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM
    bbarian333

bbarian333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06, Accesss Cab, TRD Sport
    TRD exh, K&N drop in,TRD seat cvrs,tsb springs
    The price for regular oil was 69.99 . When i said i wanted synthetic it went to 105.00

9. Nov 5, 2007 at 5:15 PM
    NVR_QUIT

NVR_QUIT My goodness, my Guinness!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd Christmas
    USA!!!!
    Vehicle:
    08' TRD Sport, 11' TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" lift...
    Just change it yourself and avoid the trouble... It's cheaper anyways (especially buying synthetic from Wal-Mart)

As for the oil filter. I had to hammer a screw driver through the middle and out the other end. Then turn that to loosen it. It should always be hand tightened to a 3/4 turn.

10. Nov 5, 2007 at 5:24 PM
    jgunccrugby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tight is one thing, too tight is another.

Not exactly along the same lines but nothing makes me more angry than when they put lug nuts on so tight that you have to fight get them off.

11. Nov 5, 2007 at 5:41 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I always change it myself just for that reason. When I do it I know what has been done, and that it was done correctly. If you've got the know how, it is worth the time to do it yourself, if not just for peace of mind.

12. Nov 5, 2007 at 6:35 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    ok i officially cant complain about the price of an oil chaange nemore. from the toyota dealer its 24 dollars where i live. i jus got the third one done. i ALWAYS changed my oil on my other taco but w this new one im lettin them do a few so they have it on record if nething happens to the truck.

13. Nov 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hey man, you are only fifteen minutes from me, let me service your ride next time.........................i guarantee you it willsave you alot of $$$ and time!!!

14. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:03 PM
    jgunccrugby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    15 minutes....
    More like 40-45. I am up closer to the lake.
    Do you work in a shop? According to an NC inspector I need to get the GFs serpentine belt changed (though I don't think it looks like it needs it yet) and I can do it, I just hate fighting with the damn things. Best offer I have had is 80. They wanted to charge her 220 to do her plugs & wires and I did them for 50 yesterday.

Anyway, I just like messing with people. You would be amazed at the responses you get for asking "what value do you add."

15. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well, either way man, you arent that far from me!!! i'll do it from cost(materials only.....cause im a decent person........next time you can add to my beer fund:D!!!)........what does the gf drive????? let me know,and i'll tell ya the cheapest price i can get for a drive belt!!!

anyway, you know wheer carolina golf cars is??(wilkinson blvd?? its where i work) stop in there, and i will hook you up!!!

16. Nov 6, 2007 at 3:32 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Yeah, that frickin filter was a beeotch to remove. I bent the hell out of a wrench I had for years, but finally got the damned thing off.

At first I was afraid the warranty would not be honored if I changed it myself, but after a lot of research on this matter I found they would have to prove my materials and/or work caused any damage. So I did it myself.

The first time is the hardest because of that filter, but after that it's a breeze. Plus I have the peace of mind of knowing that what happned to you will not happen to me, they use wrong materials or do not do any work.

Fact is, that I take care of my truck (most of us here will and do) far more meticulously than any garage or repair center. If i have the chance to do it myself I KNOW it is done right, otherwise I find bolts and stuff missing, parts loose, and who knows what else we can't see.

Now if I could only figure out why the maint required light has never come on even after 5,200 miles... (and yes it does work when I turn the key on)

17. Nov 6, 2007 at 5:28 AM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    My first oil change was a breez my filter came right off, now it gets pure 1's. And mobile full syn 10w30.

18. Nov 6, 2007 at 8:09 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    This is why I do my own oil changes. The only person I trust is myself. I use Mobil 1 filters and German Castrol Synthetic.

19. Nov 6, 2007 at 11:05 AM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod
    The only way to be sure is to change the oil yourself. Period. End of story.

I let some JiffyLube monkeys change my oil and the retards stripped my oil pan bolt. I realize that putting it on correctly is like rocket science so I can't really blame them, right? This is the price for convenience........ruinage of something that was perfectly ok.

Then......they had to use an oversized bolt.....which they stripped again!

Then, the dumbasses had to use a "PanSaver", except everytime they changed the oil they made the mistake of removing it completely thus dropping the rear of the faster inside my oil pan. I had a total of 3 of those in there before I traded the car in with 160,000 miles. (95' Camaro Z28).

Lesson learned? Change your own oil and filter. You'll sleep better.:D

20. Nov 6, 2007 at 11:09 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    While I do agree that the only way to be sure is to do it yourself...for those of us that are retarded (yup, I said retarded) when it comes to something even this simple, that huge insurance premium that the retail lube places (dealers included) pay is a great peace of mind. At least when they screw up, their insurance should cover it; whereas, when you screw up, you just bought a new engine.

Products Discussed in

To Top