Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealer oil change!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
jb9281 is on a distinguished road
jb9281's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Dealer oil change!!!

My first oil change was with the local dealer. They did the synthetic "Amsoil" oil change. Charge me $68.00. Saturday i did my secound oil change myself.
I almost could not remove the filter. Took me 30 minutes and 3 different oil filter wrenches to get that thing off. Then i noticed that the filter number did
not match my toyota replacement filter. The first set of number were the same, but the secound set were different. I called the parts dept to make sure i had the correct filter and they told me the number was for the original
factory filter. The dealer did not replace my filter at the first oil change!!!!
Now i am not sure he replace my oil with Amsoil. What woud you guys do?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I'd have it checked at an independent local lube place or preferably a full-fledged mechanic to see what they think. I would think they could tell the difference between synthetic and the stuff they put in at the factory. If it comes back that they didn't replace, I'd have a few words with the service manager, and if that didn't work, I'd talk to the local news media.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I don't know what I would do, but I will tell you this much - I am going to inspect my filter and plug after EVERY oil change now!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
National Champions
death valley fan is on a distinguished road

Army: Louisiana National Guard 205th Engineering Battalion Commo Section
Name: Chris
death valley fan's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the guy at the shop may have had a problem getting the filter off and said screw it, I'm a lazy bastard and he'll never check it. I know some others have had a real hard time getting the factory filters off. Just my theory who knows.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
jgunccrugby is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jgunccrugby's Tacoma Gallery
I had an issue when I took mine in. I asked the dealership: Its 15 more for the same stuff I can get down the street at XYZ Tire & Service. What extra value do you add? His reply: "Do you want someone making $6.50 working on your truck." My reply: It doesn't take a genius to change oil and rotate tires I am just too lazy to do it.

I promptly called the service director the next day and lectured him on how to teach positioning and objection resolution. (I teach financial sales)
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my oil changed "with synthetic" and my tires rotated and they charged me 105.00 . Then the guy changed my address on the receipt ."i believe so that i wouldn't recieve a customer reveiw". I can tell they changed the filter though. Look at your reciept and see if they charged you for a filter.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarian333 View Post
I just got my oil changed "with synthetic" and my tires rotated and they charged me 105.00 .
Ok, I am not complaining anymore...
Mine was only $46, but I didn't get synthetic. I got Castrol GTX.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
The price for regular oil was 69.99 . When i said i wanted synthetic it went to 105.00
Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
My goodness, my Guinness!
NVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura aboutNVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: something between the lines of devine and killing machine
Name: Lloyd Christmas
NVR_QUIT's Tacoma Gallery
Just change it yourself and avoid the trouble... It's cheaper anyways (especially buying synthetic from Wal-Mart)

As for the oil filter. I had to hammer a screw driver through the middle and out the other end. Then turn that to loosen it. It should always be hand tightened to a 3/4 turn.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #10

Tight is one thing, too tight is another.

Not exactly along the same lines but nothing makes me more angry than when they put lug nuts on so tight that you have to fight get them off.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I always change it myself just for that reason. When I do it I know what has been done, and that it was done correctly. If you've got the know how, it is worth the time to do it yourself, if not just for peace of mind.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
CornDog is on a distinguished road

CornDog's Tacoma Gallery
ok i officially cant complain about the price of an oil chaange nemore. from the toyota dealer its 24 dollars where i live. i jus got the third one done. i ALWAYS changed my oil on my other taco but w this new one im lettin them do a few so they have it on record if nething happens to the truck.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunccrugby View Post
Tight is one thing, too tight is another.

Not exactly along the same lines but nothing makes me more angry than when they put lug nuts on so tight that you have to fight get them off.
hey man, you are only fifteen minutes from me, let me service your ride next time.........................i guarantee you it willsave you alot of $$$ and time!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #14

15 minutes....
More like 40-45. I am up closer to the lake.
Do you work in a shop? According to an NC inspector I need to get the GFs serpentine belt changed (though I don't think it looks like it needs it yet) and I can do it, I just hate fighting with the damn things. Best offer I have had is 80. They wanted to charge her 220 to do her plugs & wires and I did them for 50 yesterday.

Anyway, I just like messing with people. You would be amazed at the responses you get for asking "what value do you add."
Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunccrugby View Post
15 minutes....
More like 40-45. I am up closer to the lake.
Do you work in a shop? According to an NC inspector I need to get the GFs serpentine belt changed (though I don't think it looks like it needs it yet) and I can do it, I just hate fighting with the damn things. Best offer I have had is 80. They wanted to charge her 220 to do her plugs & wires and I did them for 50 yesterday.

Anyway, I just like messing with people. You would be amazed at the responses you get for asking "what value do you add."
well, either way man, you arent that far from me!!! i'll do it from cost(materials only.....cause im a decent person........next time you can add to my beer fund!!!)........what does the gf drive????? let me know,and i'll tell ya the cheapest price i can get for a drive belt!!!

anyway, you know wheer carolina golf cars is??(wilkinson blvd?? its where i work) stop in there, and i will hook you up!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:32 AM   #16
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that frickin filter was a beeotch to remove. I bent the hell out of a wrench I had for years, but finally got the damned thing off.

At first I was afraid the warranty would not be honored if I changed it myself, but after a lot of research on this matter I found they would have to prove my materials and/or work caused any damage. So I did it myself.

The first time is the hardest because of that filter, but after that it's a breeze. Plus I have the peace of mind of knowing that what happned to you will not happen to me, they use wrong materials or do not do any work.

Fact is, that I take care of my truck (most of us here will and do) far more meticulously than any garage or repair center. If i have the chance to do it myself I KNOW it is done right, otherwise I find bolts and stuff missing, parts loose, and who knows what else we can't see.

Now if I could only figure out why the maint required light has never come on even after 5,200 miles... (and yes it does work when I turn the key on)
Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 AM   #17
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My first oil change was a breez my filter came right off, now it gets pure 1's. And mobile full syn 10w30.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #18
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
This is why I do my own oil changes. The only person I trust is myself. I use Mobil 1 filters and German Castrol Synthetic.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
The only way to be sure is to change the oil yourself. Period. End of story.

I let some JiffyLube monkeys change my oil and the retards stripped my oil pan bolt. I realize that putting it on correctly is like rocket science so I can't really blame them, right? This is the price for convenience........ruinage of something that was perfectly ok.

Then......they had to use an oversized bolt.....which they stripped again!

Then, the dumbasses had to use a "PanSaver", except everytime they changed the oil they made the mistake of removing it completely thus dropping the rear of the faster inside my oil pan. I had a total of 3 of those in there before I traded the car in with 160,000 miles. (95' Camaro Z28).

Lesson learned? Change your own oil and filter. You'll sleep better.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
While I do agree that the only way to be sure is to do it yourself...for those of us that are retarded (yup, I said retarded) when it comes to something even this simple, that huge insurance premium that the retail lube places (dealers included) pay is a great peace of mind. At least when they screw up, their insurance should cover it; whereas, when you screw up, you just bought a new engine.