Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weight limits on the Yakima Racks

Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
Weight limits on the Yakima Racks

OK... Background info first then
Questions of the day.

My Yakima roof rack specs state that on a Toyota Tacoma Double cab the max allowable weight that I can load is 100 pounds. According to Yakima reps, the rack is about 23 pounds, each set of bow downs are 25 pounds, so that leaves me with 27 pounds for two kayaks. Not happening in my world, even with fuzzy math. S
o the question is "Are the allowable weights that Toyota has expressed to Yakima low balled??? How much do TW members load on their trucks??? Has anyone ever bent a door frame by overloading the rack???
Old 05-20-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
I want to find out too, Since I have the same brand name roof rack , I almost want to put a extension leader on it, but i have not do it, since i do not want to break it.
Anyone have any idea or info?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
"Load weights" typically refers to the load, not the rack. I load my old 75 lb Mohawk canoe on my Access Cab using one set of Yakima racks in the front. The rear is supported by a canoe loader mounted to the drawbar of the trailer hitch.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I've carried 2 50# kayaks almost everyday in season (May-Oct) on my aftermarket thule system. Also have shoved a 3rd up there on occasion b/w the J-Hulls. Load bars and rack stayed level and handles load fine. Its been on the truck for two years & works great
Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Uhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Uhaul-n-azz's Tacoma Gallery
I fit my dagger Nomad 8.1 an Blackwater 10.5 at the same time with no weight problems I would say you are fine.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for additional comments please... Also Yakima related that Toyota is advising them that the total load on the roof/door frame should be 100 pounds or less. This seems very low...