Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OBAMA new truck MPG requirements

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #41
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I thought the Mayans were comming back to destroy the world in 2012?
Nah, not them necessarily. Their calendar just stops in 2012. They knew/know something we don't evidently or they just got bored going that far ahead. 1 thing is certain, we'll find out in a couple of years.

On the truck mileage thing, bet they try to price registration out of reach on older trucks that don't get 30 mpg. That'll be the way they'll try to get all the old stuff off the roads, or gas will be 50.00 a gallon or more. Either way, we got a fuckin comin, you can smell it a mile away. Gots my bicycle fleet ready...........

Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #42
function & form
TRDPyrite09 will become famous soon enough

TRDPyrite09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishshooter View Post
I can't believe some of you guys are cool with the Gov't telling companies what they type of vehicle they can and can't build, and telling consumers what they can and can't buy and drive. They want you not to drive fast cars, SUVs and 4X4s today. Tomorrow it will be something else, there is already talk among some about stupid high taxes on "luxury items" like boats, ATVs, PWCs, and such. They're not "necessary", so why have them? It's a slippery slope guys. Look at the folks wanting to raise taxes on sugar. They say it will promote healthier life styles. Then what? Taxes so high on beef that you can't buy a T-bone? Obama and his crew really believe they know what is best for us, so they are going to take our decision making out of the equation so we don't have to worry with it.
i agree whole heartedly.

its a damn shame most of america has the "american idol" type hype blinding them from seeing exactly what is being done.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #43
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
The government pushing laws on car companies is nothing new. Without it we would not have:

1: seat belts
2: Crumple zones
3: Air bags
4: Catalytic converters

We would have:

2: Leaded Gasoline
3: Poor fuel economy
4: Craploads of pollution

Look at it this way. When emission controls came out in the 70's, it led to computerized fuel and controls equipment that ultimately led to cars with smaller engines that would smoke most of those old muscle cars.

This is nothing all that new. But I can almost guarantee that oil lobbys are at this very moment scrambling to get laws passed that will raise gas prices.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #44
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
fishshooter's Tacoma Gallery
We might also have car companies that are not so burdened with government involvement that they could withstand the present economical trials and not fold like a house of cards. Competition creates more technological advancement than government restrictions, and it does it in a manner that does not stress a company's resources. We will pay for the massive R&D necessary to achieve these standards; either with higher retails, more tax funded bail outs, or both. Probably both. And you can bet better fuel economy standards will result in higher gas prices. But then again, Obama wants higher gas prices, just not all at once. Remember when he said that?

I think I heard light truck and van CAFE requirments would be 25 MPG, but I may be wrong.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #45
Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

mar_ga_rita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoComp View Post
...... Funny, I doubt his new Presidential Limo gets 30 MPGs!!!
x2

Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #46
snowtaco is on a distinguished road
snowtaco's Tacoma Gallery
they added those things for safety and they didnt effect anyting..
i like to see someone offroad in a hybrid.
if soeone is willing to pay for more gass cuz they have low mpg tht is their choice they obviouly wont be driving as much

Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #47
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Chrysler and GM would both have failed in any circumstance. In regards to higher costs at the result of technology, the Camry was basically the same price for almost 17 years. Think about it this way. In 1982, a typical car cost something like $12,000-$14,000. That was back when most cars still had carburetors, no air bags,ABS, no CD players, nav systems and so on. AC, tape players, power steering were still options.

Yet today you could buy a Toyota Yaris that comes with all of those things plus all the gadgets that were considered luxury items just 5 years ago for about $12,000. A fully loaded Camry is about $25,000-$30,000. That's not bad considering inflation and when compared to other things like houses- which in some cases have more than quadrupled in price since then. So no- new technology doesn't mean higher prices. In reality, technology gets cheaper over time.

Its also about perspective. I know there's a ton of folks out there driving HUGE Ford Excursions, Escalades, and Tahoes that think people like us who drive Tacos are "driving puny lil' trucks unlike REAL Americans", and think it is there RIGHT to drive the biggest thing possible.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #48
exactly they want to spend the money to drive that huge car then they can, i know if i had a car with better gas milage then id jsut drive even more and spend aobu the same on gass

Old 05-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #49
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by okietaco View Post
Hey - Obama signed new fuel requirements for 2016. All trucks must have a minimum 30 mpg. How do you think this will affect new Tacomas?
It's a truck fleet average of 30mpg, not that all trucks have to get 30mpg. That's also by 2016. The current average of 23.1 will be raised to 25 in 2011 and then to 30 mpg by 2016 for all pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles, and minivans.

So if the truck you're selling gets 20mpg, you'll need some kind of truck, suv or minivan that also gets near 40 mpg to average out to 30.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...age-standards/

Old 05-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #50
thats makes sense but still sucks cuz they will try to bump up all the mpg of their trucks probably witch one be that great but you can always buy more after market stuff to get your power back ya know

Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #51
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Nah, not them necessarily. Their calendar just stops in 2012. They knew/know something we don't evidently or they just got bored going that far ahead. 1 thing is certain, we'll find out in a couple of years.
Lol. The Mayans used a series of calendars, 2012 is when this couple hundred year series ends and the next begins. It's based off of the moon's position in rotation against the Earth. We should all be okay in the end.

As for the mpg regulations; I don't like it (I'm also a Ron Paul fan) but I think it's probably inevitable. Hopefully Toyota will do the right thing and introduce deisel to the Taco. I know they want to push the synergy drive tho...

And for offroading hybrids? I've been trying to convince my roomate to turn his prius into a rally car. We put the front left tire on a block yesterday for kicks, it has a surprising amount of clearance.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #52
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtaco View Post
thats makes sense but still sucks cuz they will try to bump up all the mpg of their trucks probably witch one be that great but you can always buy more after market stuff to get your power back ya know
Unless we go the way of Europe where aftermarket add-ons are strictly restricted. That bill wasn't just mpg. It also includes emissions requirements (i.e. California Air Resource Board style laws and smog checks for everyone).

Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #53
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
fishshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
Chrysler and GM would both have failed in any circumstance..
You know what GM products make not only a profit, but the highest profit of the entire product line? But they have to meet the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards that Evil Monkey is talking about, so they are forced to produce models that do not make as much, if any, profit so as to meet these standards. It's like forcing McDonald's to produce tofu sandwiches to offset the fat content of the Big Macs, whether they make any money off tofu or not.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #54
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWhiteDC09 View Post
Well I plan on driving my new 2009 DC tacoma until it dies so I should be set for many years to come
Same here.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #55
if they start regulating after market stuff to then they have gone way to far... they are already pushing it with all the mpg crap

Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #56
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I thought the Mayans were comming back to destroy the world in 2012?
No but Planet X just might.

Google Planet X

The Mayans predict that the Destroyer will come through our solar system soon.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #57
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Wow I am glad this hasnt been locked. I feel I have actually learned a lot instead of read useless (yet comical) bickering for once!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #58
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 22 (17 members and 5 guests) dgerm, nate TSS, BLOCKADE, ChocoTaco08, JeffBox, 91r100gs, Bolo, Gorilla_97, Danzer, epa4wd, raskal311, cappo, Pitt1552, NAAC3TACO, okietaco, tussery, mikey05

Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #59
glennv is on a distinguished road
glennv's Tacoma Gallery
Since this guy makes Jimmy Carter look like a fiscal conservative I'm thinking the guy who replaces him in 2012 will undo whatever this a-hole does.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #60
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennv View Post
Since this guy makes Jimmy Carter look like a fiscal conservative I'm thinking the guy who replaces him in 2012 will undo whatever this a-hole does.

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaand there it goes

Closed Thread