Notices

OBAMA new truck MPG requirements

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
okietaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Major, MC
okietaco's Tacoma Gallery
OBAMA new truck MPG requirements

Hey - Obama signed new fuel requirements for 2016. All trucks must have a minimum 30 mpg. How do you think this will affect new Tacomas?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by okietaco View Post
Hey - Obama signed new fuel requirements for 2016. All trucks must have a minimum 30 mpg. How do you think this will affect new Tacomas?
Well, I know they are already planning on a more fuel efficient engine... but now, I guess they will have to focus on efficiency like everybody else.

I say it is a good goal, will only end up saving us money on gas.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
okietaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Major, MC
okietaco's Tacoma Gallery
changes begin in 2012

Changes actually begin in 2012!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I say it is a good goal, will only end up saving us money on gas.
...And will produce trucks that can't haul anything.

Boo to arbitrary government standards!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
...And will produce trucks that can't haul anything.

Boo to arbitrary government standards!
Trust me, I am with you... but there is nothing we can do, the government doesn't listen to the people, they just want to control everything. I call for a revolution.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Allow myself to introduce myself...
Whataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whataboutbob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Get ready for the A-Bat to replace the Tacoma if the minimum 30mpg ruling is held to trucks...

It looks like a Honda Ridgeline and a Subaru B9 Tribeca had a baby.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe we will get the diesel fron the Hilux? I hear they get nearly 30mpg.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Trust me, I am with you... but there is nothing we can do, the government doesn't listen to the people, they just want to control everything. I call for a revolution.
Well, in this case, the way to revolt would be refusal to buy new cars. Or modify your vehicle until it drives how you want it to.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
Maybe we will get the diesel fron the Hilux? I hear they get nearly 30mpg.

I hope we do!! Damn EPA sucks

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
Well, in this case, the way to revolt would be refusal to buy new cars. Or modify your vehicle until it drives how you want it to.
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #11

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm a big fan of Ron Paul and am disappointed that most people dismiss him as a nut because he's not Republican or Democrat.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
SuperWhiteDC09 is on a distinguished road
SuperWhiteDC09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SuperWhiteDC09
Well I plan on driving my new 2009 DC tacoma until it dies so I should be set for many years to come

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Ibtl

Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #14
Addicted Mod'r
ToyoComp is on a distinguished road

ToyoComp's Tacoma Gallery
Really don't care what Obama thinks or does because I'll still be driving the truck I have in 2012. If you look at the last time our country went through this sort of thing (government sticking their nose up the auto industry's ass) we ended up with the end of the muscle car era, the development of such icons as the pinto, gremlin and other lemons. Ultimately the car industry adapted and were able to produce vehicles that met the needs or wants of the public. Just cause you regulate it doesn't mean it will sell which is why the Big 3 are where the are - their products aren't desirable to the masses. Bottomline, manufacturers have the ability to make a better MPG vehicle and will get it done...not to say that the first version around 2012 is anything that I want in my garage. Funny, I doubt his new Presidential Limo gets 30 MPGs!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Get ready for the A-Bat to replace the Tacoma if the minimum 30mpg ruling is held to trucks...

what about a deisel Hilux??

and oh yeah IBTL

Old 05-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #16

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoComp View Post
...I'll still be driving the truck I have in 2012.
I think that's the important part. Who gives a rat's a$$ what the Auto industry does, short of making it illegal to buy used cars.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the Mayans were comming back to destroy the world in 2012?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #18
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWhiteDC09 View Post
Well I plan on driving my new 2009 DC tacoma until it dies so I should be set for many years to come
I hear that...I love this thing!

Although, I'm OK with increased standards. Toyota has been ahead of the curve for a long time - in both MPG and quality (see Detroit).

People resist change and that will never...well...change. You always hear "it was better back then". But I like all of the energy solutions we are pushing for. Like many other cities, Pittsburgh has a highly polluted atmosphere. I am on board with reducing that. Wind power, geo-thermal power, hydrolic power...all good to me. I'm guessing their are HUGE energy solutions that have not even been considered.

I don't equate this to environmental issues and HATE to see areas of our country posted off-limits to recreational use (dirt bikes or wheeling). But I don't see why we have to rely so heavily on fossil fuels to power or electronic lifestyles. Yes, I like my gas powered vehicle but if you can create something similar that costs less and doesn't pollute...I'll give it serious consideration (once my 2009 dies that is ).

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #19

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
what about a deisel Hilux??
Diesel Hilux would freakin' rock, though I don't think it will ever happen. For whatever reason automakers refuse to sell their most efficient Diesel vehicles here.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
When the A-Bat gets released I'll honestly be ashamed to drive my badass tacoma. I'm already ashamed enough toyota puts out the retarded xB's and prius.

However, if they bring the Supra back with the A-Bat, all is forgiven, and I'll probably be less a tacoma

But seriously on topic... 30mpg would be awesome but it's unrealistic. Trucks are designed for work. Work requires energy. Energy requires a source of fuel.... without fuel, no energy, no work. No truck. Physics, the ONLY law that counts.

Oh, also... if the standard is 30mpg, you're not going to be spending less on fuel. Fuel costs will rise with it, if not exceed what we're paying per mile now.

Closed Thread