Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Typically....

Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

Name: Treavor
tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Typically....

Is it typical for somebody to get wheels and tires first or get the suspension done first? I'm torn, Both are going to cost roughly the same, so I don't know which to do first.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
What size tires do you want to run?
Actually the suspension stuff is going to be a lot more. I just checked right now, about $1,000 more.

I'm thinking of doing 265/75/16 BFG All Terrains. I have the stock 245/75/16 Dunlop tires
Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Personally I'd do both at the same time. If you're going bigger tires, you may need the lift first to accommodate them. However, it looks dorky to have a lift without the bigger tires, but you don't really have a choice.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat View Post
Is it typical for somebody to get wheels and tires first or get the suspension done first? I'm torn, Both are going to cost roughly the same, so I don't know which to do first.
It's very typical to get the suspension done first. However, if you do that first without wheels and tires it will looks a bit funky. Don't try to mount the tires and wheels BEFORE the suspension lift though, it won't work.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
If you haven't sean it yet,Drop down menu under mods&tutorials.Tire size calc.may help.You'd be going up 2 sizes.To fit you would need new rims w/a back spaceing less then 5.0".
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #7

tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Got it, thanks guys. All my friends are telling me the same thing about the lift without the tires and how it'd look funny. I don't plan on lifting it too much though. I'm planning on getting the 2.5" King Coil overs with the TC UCA's and maybe the 2.0 smooth body King shock in the back. So, not much of a lift. Do you still think doing the tires first would be no bueno? Would the tires fit is what I should be asking...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Some trimming may be necessary around the wheel well.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #9

After you drive it w/the Kings.....You wouldn't give a shit how it looks w/the stock tires.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I can't really say for the reg cabs. They'd fit fine on a TRD blisten setup, but on the lower stocker suspension I'm sure there'd be some rub. Honestly I still vote hold out, save up and do both at the same time. That way you'll get the full transformation all in the same day or two and be able to really appreciate the change that much more. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy either way, and you don't want to risk damaging your new expensive tires or the truck when you don't have to with the lift.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #11

tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
I can't really say for the reg cabs. They'd fit fine on a TRD blisten setup, but on the lower stocker suspension I'm sure there'd be some rub. Honestly I still vote hold out, save up and do both at the same time. That way you'll get the full transformation all in the same day or two and be able to really appreciate the change that much more. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy either way, and you don't want to risk damaging your new expensive tires or the truck when you don't have to with the lift.

Just my $0.02
I have the regular cab Prerunner though. It's on the 4x4 suspension...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #13

tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
Good choice on the Kings by the way.
Yeuup. I heard they were the best.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmat View Post
Actually the suspension stuff is going to be a lot more. I just checked right now, about $1,000 more.

I'm thinking of doing 265/75/16 BFG All Terrains. I have the stock 245/75/16 Dunlop tires
Question... he wouldn't need any lift to just go from stock 245s to 265s right? Those tires would fit fine.. they aren't that much bigger?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #15

tmat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Question... he wouldn't need any lift to just go from stock 245s to 265s right? Those tires would fit fine.. they aren't that much bigger?
that's what I thought. I think people think I just have the base model 5 lugger. I have the Prerunner though 6 lugger.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #17
snowtaco is on a distinguished road
snowtaco's Tacoma Gallery
suspension first then tires if you go real tall you will look alittle off until you get the tires but if that is the case the tires you really want might not fit with out the lift
Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #19

Here's a pic w/the stock tires. The front was set at 1.75 lift.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
snowtaco is on a distinguished road
snowtaco's Tacoma Gallery
lift if lift it haha