Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Things that make you say hmmm...

Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Things that make you say hmmm...

Anybody got an idea what the in-bed load capacity is on an 07 Tacoma? I know that options (TRD, towing package, etc.) might make a difference, but I was just looking for round numbers, and from what I've found, nobody has a definitive answer.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
According to Toyota's website and the brochure

Load capacity for Man. Trans is 1350 Lbs

Load capaciaty for Auto Trans is 1380 Lbs

- M
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, its different for each model but i wanna say for your truck it should be around 900lbs, but if you've done the suspension TBS i would make it an even 1000... or more.... basically i'm gonna load it up till it bottoms out, but thats just me
Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiVR6r View Post

- M
Really? i didnt know it was that high. I think the load capcity goes down alot when you have the double cab too, but i dont know
Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Really? i didnt know it was that high. I think the load capcity goes down alot when you have the double cab too, but i dont know
D'oh!! That is for the Regular Cabs... Do over!

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2008/tacoma/specs.html

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2008/...ccess_cab.html

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2008/...ouble_cab.html

Click "Specifications" on the Left, Click "Capacities" on the right.

I redeemed myself. Phew!

- M
Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiVR6r View Post

- M
This is weird. On My Nissan pickup the manual trans could take more than the auto...why is this opposite with the Tacomas?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
This is weird. On My Nissan pickup the manual trans could take more than the auto...why is this opposite with the Tacomas?
What year Nissan? And are you sure about that? I looked at an 04 Frontier before I bought my 04 Tacoma, and wound up getting the 2.7L in the Taco because the 2.7L 5-speed tacoma could pull 3500 lbs, and the 3.5L v6 Nissan with a 5-speed could also pull 3500 lbs, while an auto in the Nissan was rated for 5000 lbs.

Oh, and to answer your question. It is not a weakness of transmission in the Toyota it is that the auto trans weighs more, and threfore decreases the payload capacity by the additional weight of the transmission because the GVWR of the truck does not change.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
What year Nissan? And are you sure about that? I looked at an 04 Frontier before I bought my 04 Tacoma, and wound up getting the 2.7L in the Taco because the 2.7L 5-speed tacoma could pull 3500 lbs, and the 3.5L v6 Nissan with a 5-speed could also pull 3500 lbs, while an auto in the Nissan was rated for 5000 lbs.

Oh, and to answer your question. it is not a weakness of Trans in the Toyotas it is that the auto trans weighs more, and threfor decreases the payload capacity by the additional weight of the transmission because the GVWR of the truck does not change.
You're right about that...that's also the reason that the 4x4 has less capacity...the stuff to make it 4x4 (transfer case, etc.) makes it weigh more and therefore, it can handle less load for the given GVWR.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Question Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know about max weight in the bed. I have read on other boards people putting 2000-3000 lbs in the bed even while towing 6000 lb trailers. I think that would be a little excessive!...But what really makes me go hmmmmmmmmm...why the hell is it 2008 and these new trucks still have the same problems as the 2005-2007?..You think toyota would have learned by now!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I had 1300 lbs in the bed of my DC, it was squating pretty good, but no problems.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What's a scoop of mulch weigh?

Just curious, cuz that's what I'll be expecting my taco to haul this spring.

ON my old 96 taco - I had the rear leaf pak re-arched with 2 custom AAL's made at the same time. That rear suspension was HEAVY DUTY and I absolutely love it!! It laughed at the mulch!

I'm wondering if this TSB spring pak can handle a scoop of mulch?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I have the AAL's from my Toytec 3" lift in and I've loaded around 1600lbs of wood pellets (give or take a couple 40lb bags) 3 times now. I have between 1/2 and 1/4 inch left between the bump stops and springs each time.

So I'd say with an AAL lift OR the TSB, 1,000lbs should be fine. Just keep an eye on it beyond that.

The thing I can't get a clear answer on is if the cargo capacity (~1300lbs according to Toyota) includes passengers, etc in the cab, or if it's just the bed. I'm assuming it's everything, but you know what they say about ass-uming. So if you have 2 adults in there, keep that in mind.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
With the TSB springs I would assume.....
No just what came with it.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
The thing I can't get a clear answer on is if the cargo capacity (~1300lbs according to Toyota) includes passengers, etc in the cab, or if it's just the bed. I'm assuming it's everything, but you know what they say about ass-uming. So if you have 2 adults in there, keep that in mind.
The owners manual says "Vehicle load limits includes total load capacity, seating capacity, towing capacity, and cargo capacity" and "Total load capacity means combined weight of occupants, cargo, and luggage." In the 2007 owners manual they even give an example of figuring the passengers weight and subtracting it from the total allowed.

It has been the same way for every truck I have owned.

Another thing to remember is that anything added to your truck reduces the amount of cargo you can carry. This would include a trailer hitch, bed mat, tonneau cover or cap, and any racks you install for carrying stuff.

Most Tacoma owners will never need to worry about the cargo limit, but it is also easy to exceed it if you don't think ahead. For example; concrete blocks weigh 40 pounds each. My access cab has 1.340 pounds of payload. If I have 340 pounds of passengers and misc stuff already in the truck that means I can load 25 blocks in the bed. The bed will hold more than that and if you don't realize it you can overload the truck.

My experience is that most small truck owners don't overload their trucks with one big item, but load way too many smaller items into the bed not realizing how much it adds up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster
What's a scoop of mulch weigh?
Most places that load stuff like gravel or wood mulch can tell you how much it weighs per cubic yard and know the volume of the buckets on their equipment. You can then figure out what your load will be.

Watch out for the operators that dump their buckets while high above your bed. Even if the weight is within limits the shock of dropping the load in can damage your truck.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #18
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Remember also, trailer tongue weight also counts as cargo weight.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #19
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post

Oh, and to answer your question. It is not a weakness of transmission in the Toyota it is that the auto trans weighs more, and threfore decreases the payload capacity by the additional weight of the transmission because the GVWR of the truck does not change.
It was a 1997 Nissan Hardbody and I'm absolutely certain about the payloads.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #20
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
It was a 1997 Nissan Hardbody and I'm absolutely certain about the payloads.
Ok, perhaps there was a diference between your 97, and the 03/04 frontiers that I had looked at. And I may have responded incorrectly as I realize now that you were talking about payload and I was talking about towing. So I stand corrected.