1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Consumer Reports...Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Viper-2, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Nov 7, 2007 at 3:55 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 [OP] Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Has anyone seen the new CR? I got mine yesterday and I was shocked to first of all see that the Tundra is no longer recommended. But to see that the V6 Camry wasn't was a shock. Man, what the heck went wrong with those models. They haven't written up what the exact problems were yet and what people complained about in the surveys but it must be bad since they had a tone of irritation.

The next thing was about 3 or 4 previously non recommended Fords and Nissans getting recommended.

The Tacoma is still recommended though and still safe...at least above 80% approval. But dudes what happened to those other two??? :confused:

2. Nov 7, 2007 at 4:11 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm worried that Toyota might be succumbing to pressures to make more money and leaving the quality out...they've passed several "domestic" car makers in terms of quantity, and now, they're passed them in terms of quality (in a bad way).

3. Nov 7, 2007 at 6:05 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I personally think Toyota is growing to fast and the quality is starting to suffer. I am happy with my truck but I think my 98 taco was definitely built better.

4. Nov 7, 2007 at 6:11 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    That's really bad news! !! My wife has an 07 -V6 Camry. She loves it and has 2000 miles on it so perhaps the bad stuff comes later (Right after the warranty is off):mad:

5. Nov 7, 2007 at 7:14 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    As they say in Wayne's World, "well, it certainly does suck."

6. Nov 7, 2007 at 12:17 PM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    Edmunds still gave them 8s....
    Thats pretty strong.

7. Nov 7, 2007 at 12:21 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    The problem with the Tundra was the 4 wheel drive models. I'm not to sure about the camry.

8. Nov 7, 2007 at 2:45 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    December 07 issue of Consumer Reports Magazine:

"What went wrong? Subscribers reported problems with the Camry's six-speed automatic transmission, Tundra's four-wheel-drive system, and power accessories and audio systems on the Lexus(GS)."

"The four-cylinder Camry and hybrid versions of the Camry and GS are still recommended."

These problems are with the 2007 models.

My wife knows my obsession with Toyota. She saw Toyota on the cover and picked it up for me. Too bad it's a negative article.

9. Nov 7, 2007 at 4:17 PM
    chevys

chevys Member

Member:
    Toyota got some bad marks but it didnt seem to hurt the resale value. Most models bring 2-4 K more than a Ford or Chevy that is comparable. That goes for the new ones as well. That is my biggest gripe with Toyota.

In the 70's, 80's and part of the 90's the quality gap was huge when comparing a Yota to the domestics. That is just not the case anymore. Still, perception is a powerful thing. The domestics are gaining ground after decades of having a black eye. It may take that long for the Toyota quality perception to take a hit if they keep introducing new models with camshaft failures and tail gates coming apart literally at the seams. The Camry 6 speed transmission problems is widely known about as well.

In the day and age of the internet information is available in seconds and companies can no longer afford to put out a piece of crap product or the whole world will know about it very quickly. Nothing is perfect and how a company handles a problem can make or break some potential buyers. The Tundra tailgate failure is a good example. From what I understand Toyota is not willing to do a thing about it. That is BS people. When was the last time a Ford, Dodge or Chevy tailgate came apart like the ones I have seen? Talk about a black eye for Toyota and Im sure the owners dont use the Tundras any harder than the domestics so abuse is not even a consideration in my opinion.

I have lost some confidence in Toyota as of late. I know they make good products in general but still. My parents own a 03 4 runner and its 5 years old this month and literally has never had the first problem. Its still on the original battery. 03 was the first year of the redesign and it has been perfect so what gives with the Camry and Tundra?? The 4 runner was built in Japan but other than that its hard to figure. People are more educated that they were 10 years ago about buying cars and trucks and somebody at Toyota better yank a knot in somebodys butt to fix these problems and make sure they never happen again. Engine and transmission problems are inexcusable in my opinion and so are the tail gates.

In the past I may have been willing to pay a little bit more for a Toyota but not anymore. Im a cheap skate anyway and on my last trip to a yota dealer to look at trucks the salesman tried to sell me on the quality...blah blah blah and I ask him about the Camry tranny, Tundra tranny probs, camshaft and tail
    gate issues and looked at me like I had three heads. He had no clue that they were even issues. Why in hell would I pay more to him for a company that is having these issues is what I asked. He had no answer.

Im not bashing here guys but Toyota needs to step up and make these things right. GM and Ford are great about sweeping problems under the rug and I hope Toyota does not take this route.

10. Nov 7, 2007 at 9:01 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring

11. Nov 8, 2007 at 2:11 AM
    chevys

chevys Member

Member:
    Honestly, the camshaft failures were pretty rare. I remember something like 20 cases being reported but it gave Toyota a black eye. The tranny trouble was pretty rare as well in my opinion. You can read about them at Tundra solutions. The tailgate issue seems to be more widespread. Im no expert and Im going off the seat of my pants and gut feeling.

If I were to buy a new Tundra the only problem that I would really worry about is the tail gate. Your friend probably has nothing to worry about.

OT but I remember way back in 1977 when General Motors had a bunch of camshaft failures in the 305 engine. They all went sour around 40 K miles.

12. Nov 13, 2007 at 5:36 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Men,

I also have heard the rumblings, and troubling they are. Lets not talk about it, lets do something about it. One great thing about Toyota is they they listen, remember that it's people like us who brought Toyota to the stature they currently hold. A groundswell of feedback and concern will allow them to step back and reflect on where they have stumbled. Warranties are great for us but cost the company big money. Alright ramblers, let's get ramblin' :poking:

13. Nov 16, 2007 at 1:29 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    All new models go thru teething problems, one quote that you hear alot is " Don't buy the first model year of anything" this may be true with some particular models of the Tundra. Toyota will get the message very quickly, they did not get where they are by not listening to the pulse of the public.

Jeff
    06,V6, 6spd, 4x4 , SR5 Bone stock still ,

14. Nov 16, 2007 at 8:38 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    maybe i should get a fj crusier....
    at least they are made in japan so they have least problems???

since they are coming a trail team special edition in January..
    I might just hop on it!

haha!

15. Nov 17, 2007 at 2:27 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    The big thing, IMO, was all the problems with the new Camry transmissions. Owner after owner has had problems with them and it's been widely reported. However, as someone said above, new (or redesigned) models always have problems so I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyota jump back up in the ratings over the next couple years. Let's face it, there's a reason why Toyota resale is so high and the domestics isn't.

Of course, when you're on top, everyone tries to find fault.

16. Dec 1, 2007 at 11:37 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    You could not give me a Tundra. The suspension has also been recalled.
    The only problem with an `06 Taco is that you are screwing into plastic.
    This is not good twice.

17. Jan 11, 2008 at 1:12 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Thats the very first thing I looked at. How they compared the Tundra to the Tacoma. They did not even recommend the Tundra. I bought a Tacoma b4 I saw this article and it sure did ease my mind in the decision I made between the 2!

Just my2 cents!

18. Jan 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I like the Taco. If I need more, I wiil fire up the Power Wagon.

19. Mar 5, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Best review of the situation EVER

20. Mar 5, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle: