Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Emergency Brake Petal

Old 05-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Dennis1947 is on a distinguished road
Navy: 30 yr Surface Line Officer
Dennis1947's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Emergency Brake Petal

Five times I have accidently bumped the emergency brake pedal and released the parking brake while getting in my Tacoma. Only once was I on a steep grade with something near the front bumper. Luckily the transmisson held. For me this is a safety issue and I am wondering whether others have had the same accident. The brake pedal seems to release very easily when bumped. From my view the brake pedal should not release unless the engine is running.

Thoughts? Is there a TSB that covers this?

Dennis
Auburn, AL
Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1947 View Post
Five times I have accidently bumped the emergency brake pedal and released the parking brake while getting in my Tacoma. Only once was I on a steep grade with something near the front bumper. Luckily the transmisson held. For me this is a safety issue and I am wondering whether others have had the same accident. The brake pedal seems to release very easily when bumped. From my view the brake pedal should not release unless the engine is running.

Thoughts? Is there a TSB that covers this?

Dennis
Auburn, AL
Get smaller feet? J/K.

Hopefully someone will chime in, I'm not much help, I drive an auto. Bump to the top for ya.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Get smaller feet? J/K.

Hopefully someone will chime in, I'm not much help, I drive an auto. Bump to the top for ya.
How are you not much help? You drive the same system

I've had this kinda problem as well, nothing to your extent though. I've accidentally hit it many times, not wanting it to release. Maybe someone can come up with a mod. We have enough talented individuals here that maybe could think of something.

Theres no TSB that I know of.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
How are you not much help? You drive the same system
LMAO!!!! Sorry!! We'll then let me re-answer then. I have never bumped the EB. I also don't use it daily. I only really use it when doing maitenance on the truck. I only used an EB regularly when I drove manual vehicles out of fear the tranny would slip out of gear.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Mr. Dennis is saying that when he got into his truck, he accidentally hit the EB which made the truck lurch forward and then rock.

He is wondering if there is a TSB for this or a way to stop from making it roll so much
Old 05-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
snowtaco is on a distinguished road
snowtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i never have had that problem and youd be mad when you truck doesnt start and your e brake is on... now how are you gonna get it off if it has to be running to disengage haha
Old 05-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtaco View Post
i never have had that problem and youd be mad when you truck doesnt start and your e brake is on... now how are you gonna get it off if it has to be running to disengage haha
You can take off the EB when your trucks off
Old 05-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
no he said why dont they make it so you have to have it running to turn it off.. i was just saying that it wouldnt be a good idea to have that feature
Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Oh my bad I didnt clearly read that part
Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
just be more careful when getting in? I got big feet and I don't hit it on the way in. But sometimes when I go to set it, im actually putting the top of my foot on a wire harness and when it doesn't go down I realize it lol
Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
ya i did think of that to make sure its allll the way down so its further out of the way.. doesnt mater where it is half or all the way down it takes the same pressure to release it so try that maybe if you havnt been putting it all the way down
Old 05-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I use my e-brake all the time. It's habit after years of driving a manual... I don't think I've ever hit and disengaged it while getting in my truck. I would not want one that had to be on to turn off.

What about if your truck won't start and you have to take the brake off to get towed? Then you'd really be screwed.

Or if I want to roll down my driveway...not worth turning the truck on. IMHO
Old 05-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've only used mine a couple times, but no problems. WhenI have released the EB, I don't remember it being overly sensitive. You might have your dealer take a look to make sure.

When I get in my truck, I go right foot first and it goes for the regular brake, then my left foot sweeps in and releases EB,
Old 05-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
be like me and never use it problem solved.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
haha for sure i never use it well only on hills if i remember haha honestly if its not manual there is no need for it especialy in new trucks your parking break isnt gonna give out any time soon haha