1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

dealer cannot do rear tsb because of spacers up front

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Marioso, May 24, 2009.

1. May 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    so they inspected it and found no problems but said the spacers up front could have something to do with it

if i get it done all i have to pay is 100 dollars deductible through my extended warranty with honda

is this all true?

2. May 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    if you already have an extended warranty then NO you should not have to pay anything!!!!
    whats the point of a warranty if your still going to have to pay anyways?!?!
    and the spacer up front should have nothing to do with the rear TSB

3. May 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    x2 on the spacers having nothing to do with it.

4. May 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    so what do i tell them? well the warranty i guess gave me a deductible of 100 dollars which isnt a big deal im not worried about that i just wanna get the tsbs done by the time i get 83k miles

5. May 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Negative about the extended warranty...Only the 3Yr/36K warranty includes the TSB- It says so on the TSB.

The spacers shouldn't effect the TSB tho...So I'd say if you are having load issues then pay the 100 bucks and get the new springs...

6. May 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    What dealership are you working with? Try different Toyota dealerships around the county. Toyota of Escondido gave me no hassle. They didn't even inspect anything. They just ordered the parts and called me when they were in. I had them installed within a week.

7. May 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Spacers have no impact (or very little) on the rear suspension. Talk to the manager, and let him know its BS.

8. May 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Fight them on this. Print out the Magnusson Moss Act bring it with you. Its a TSB, problem is proven to exhist before any mods were ever done to the truck. Nothing up front can affect your leaf springs ability to carry a load. WTF, give them hell.

New Vehicle Warranties And Your Rights

No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. With that said, some dealerships are more performance-oriented than others and are more willing to work with customers.
    Warranty-related materials, published by the new vehicle manufacturers, state that the installation of aftermarket parts have no effect on the warranty unless such equipment causes the problem that leads to the warranty claim. Nonetheless, some dealers have improperly denied warranty claims even though the claim had nothing to do with aftermarket parts. I.E., just because you install an exhaust system, your suspension failure warranty claim cannot be denied. If you experience a problem with an uncooperative dealership, point out the provisions of the this "FEDERAL ACT". For more information call your vehicle manufacturer or click on the link above to go directly to the Federal Trade Commission's website to find out more about this law.

Brunes is correct though about the warranty. ​

9. May 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner

$100 doesn't sound too bad anymore. :p

10. May 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    so whats a good argument like a good reason why the spacers wouldnt affect it...she told me she didnt put down i had spacers so i could take em out and come back with the truck at stock height again

11. May 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Probably safest if you can take them out and go back. Cause otherwise you might end up in a long drawn out fight to get the work done under your coverage.

I can see them arguing that the spacers displaced load to the rear and caused premature sagging etc etc....

12. May 24, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I again agree with Brunes, but if you like to fight it would have to be on their dollar to prove that the spacers caused the leafs to be inadequate. But we already know that these leafs were faulty so there is no reason they shouldn't change them. The TSB covers vin numbers stating which batch of Leafs were not up to par, if your truck falls into that category they have no legs to stand on with the exception of the fact that your factory warranty is up and the extended doesn't cover the TSB.

13. May 24, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    how complicated is it to take the spacers out

14. May 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    The TSB is even better now- It has the leaf parts numbers that are "lame" and the new part numbers for the new springs with the applicable types of trucks (AC/DC etc etc)
    It's sad to see it's such a big deal to get it done...

Depends on the type. Top plate spacers- All you need to do is drop the strut out, take the plate out, and re install the strut. If it's a preload or in the spring type spacer...You have to remove the strut and disassemble it entirely then put it together again and re-install.

15. May 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Those TSB's are getting fancy and easier to read. I just don't understand why they make it so difficult to do their jobs. I had to go to 2 different dealers to get mine done the first were all butts the second was happy to do it and ordered the parts as soon as I mentioned what was going on. I however called Toyota Corp. and filed a complaint about the first dealer. They are very nice now, they even put a little note next to me info for when my name comes up to ensure I get good service.

16. May 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    On the Sport, the only thing they replace on the TSB is the rear leafs. The front suspension has nothing to do with the rear leafs bottoming out.

17. May 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    So I don't get (almost) everyones point on this discussion.
    1) The extended warranty is NOT a bumper to bumper. So the rear leaf TSB isn't covered by it! Right?
    2) He has almost 83K miles. The factory warranty covers the TSB to 36K miles.
    Isn't he SOL?

I'll be the first to admit, the TSB was done on my truck with 39K miles on it. Here I was thinking I was pushing the envelope. Just my thoughts.

For the sake of argument, YES I would agree that the reason they couldn't do it is/was LAME! The spacers up front! Had they just been completely honest with you, I think you would have understood the above reasons versus their "spacers" excuse.

18. May 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    You wont get it for free with an aftermarket service contract (from honda) so I would pay the 100 and get the springs done

19. May 24, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    take it to a different dealer, don't mention anything about the spacers in front. just state the facts.."when i have moderate/heavy cargo in the bed it's a rough ride..feels like i'm on the bump stops constantly". it's all how you describe the rough ride to the dealer.

i bet the first dealer you took it came to the conclusion that you wanted the TSB's to even out the ride height since you have the spacer lift. remember...the dealer does not have to perform the TSB..it's not an actual recall.

EDIT: i didn't see the part where you are over the milage haha...but still, this can apply to anyone!

20. May 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    The rear leaf TSB specifies that the factory 3year/36K warranty is the only one that applies. The extended warranty may or may not help with the TSB- In this case it seems he's going to get the hook up.

As far as the spacer not affecting the rear springs. I think they could-The OPs profile says 2.5 inch front lift. So those springs have been loaded differently than they were designed for cause the front end is higher. We all know the springs are crap to start with...but the spacer doesn't help them or his argument.

Products Discussed in

To Top