Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tow strap

Old 05-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
tow strap

just started wheelin whith my buddies again, and have a stock prerunner but they all have beast 4x4's and i am in need of a tow strap. I have some questions, how to buy them- do i just buy the strap? do i need hooks? what lbs rating? any extra info will be a big help
Old 05-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I know I will never need to have a 35,000 lbs one made by Smittybilt but I picked it up at 4Wheelparts the other day for $35.00. I have had the crappy ones you buy from Autozone and wally world, but those break constantly. I decided to spend the extra $10.00 and get something that will last. As far as needing hooks and what not, if you have a ball hitch on the back in your receiver then you are set for recovery from the rear. For the front however, you need to invest in a "d-ring" or two. I have two for my front and they go right onto the loop loop where the current recovery point is. All in all I have spent probably close to $50 for my recovery equipment and that not all that much because when I get stuck, I don't want my strap break and me having to leave my truck somewhere so I can go get a new strap.

Good luck on the search.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Straps will have ratings and the widths will vary for those ratings (usually). DO NOT get a tow strap with a hook built in. If the strap breaks, the hook becomes a deadly projectile.

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...strap_tech.htm

I highly recommend getting a 'stretch-n-snatch- strap by Keeper - in 3" thickness. The stretch-n-snatch strap will 'stretch' and allow recoil for the recovery. It's easier on the vehicle who's yanking you out.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/KEEPER-STRE...2398_10101.jcw

You also want to get some d-rings with similar ratings & threaded end pins.
(as seen here You can put this D-ring into the ball mount hole on any draw bar.
http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...05325Small.JPG
Old 05-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-S...Straps/52.aspx
Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
The whole point of a recovery strap is that it stretches. Don't use a 35,000lb one. You'll never be able to exceed that weight limit to get to the stretching part of the strap, rendering it pretty useless.
Look into one rated no more than 20klbs.