Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Has anyone ever had a MAF damaged by oiled filter?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #21
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I had bad experiences using K&N filters on my taco. I used one for 6 months. In that time period, I had to clean the throttle body 3 times. The filter lets in more dirt, which was clogging my throttle body. The truck would actually get to the point where it would almost stall at idle. I quit using it, went back to a regular paper filter and been fine ever since.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #22
Bre2tSco2t is on a distinguished road

Bre2tSco2t's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I havent tested that, and being still out of work, most of my testing is put on hold until work picks up.
I am watching this one like a hawk. Chris, I like your answers because there is prove behind them, not just opinions. I am interested also in the AFE Pro Dry and will wait on your test.

I don't intend to hijack the thread here, but you have mentioned in several posts about you being out of work. What do you do? Why is work off? PM me if you don't want to answer publically, or don't answer at all if it is none of my business.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #23
TacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to behold
TacoMOnster07's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TacoMOnster07
Carmello before you start saying people have no brains let me ask you, how long have you had your K&N on for? Have you tried the recharger kit? Have you used the proper amount of oil like the bottles says? I did many times, I'm a f"in mechanic, i do things properly. I have had nothing but problems with my maf getting fouled up. Had to clean it at least once a month. It's so bad that when you accelerate it boggs down horribly. I cleaned the filter many times and recharged it properly many times. Everytime nothing but problems. Switched to urd TCAI and amsoil filter and never had any problems. I will never buy another K&n wet filter again.

Edit: I was not using the drop in filter, this was the K&N cone filter with there kit.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #24
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been running K&N filters on my truck for the last 18k miles or so and haven't seen any issues. I've also ran them in my quad for hundreds of hours in sand dunes and dusty trails/roads with an open air box and the cylinder still looked like new when I got the motor built last spring. My truck still runs great(noticeably more top end power with the CAI) and when cleaning the filter(every 5k miles or so) i've checked my intake tube for any residue of oil or dust and have found none. The K&N filters do look questionably thin when held up to a bright light though.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I've been running K&N filters on my truck for the last 18k miles or so and haven't seen any issues. I've also ran them in my quad for hundreds of hours in sand dunes and dusty trails/roads with an open air box and the cylinder still looked like new when I got the motor built last spring. My truck still runs great(noticeably more top end power with the CAI) and when cleaning the filter(every 5k miles or so) i've checked my intake tube for any residue of oil or dust and have found none. The K&N filters do look questionably thin when held up to a bright light though.
Just because no dust in found in the intake track, doesnt mean its not getting into the engine. An oil sample will show this. Particles larger than 20 microns can cause engine damage, particles smaller than 10 may not cause damage, but CAN cause accelerated wear. Will it happen in 10,000 miles or 150,000 miles? Dont know. In the end, its the consumer that decides what they run, and why on their engine. All of my tests on filters were in "real world" conditions, and many in extreme dust/dirt conditions. After the testing was finished, I will never use a K&N filter, or any other oiled gauze filter, for anything more than straining paint.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #26
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just because no dust in found in the intake track, doesnt mean its not getting into the engine. An oil sample will show this. Particles larger than 20 microns can cause engine damage, particles smaller than 10 may not cause damage, but CAN cause accelerated wear. Will it happen in 10,000 miles or 150,000 miles? Dont know. In the end, its the consumer that decides what they run, and why on their engine. All of my tests on filters were in "real world" conditions, and many in extreme dust/dirt conditions. After the testing was finished, I will never use a K&N filter, or any other oiled gauze filter, for anything more than straining paint.
Yup!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #27
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I havent tested that, and being still out of work, most of my testing is put on hold until work picks up.
Could I send you some samples of my oil for the AFE? I just put it in with my most recent oil change so would I need the OEM samples to compare?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #28
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Could I send you some samples of my oil for the AFE? I just put it in with my most recent oil change so would I need the OEM samples to compare?
I would need a "before" and "after" sample from the engine. Im gonna do it, just give me some time.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #29
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I work at a Chevy dealer in the parts dept. I have sold at least 20 MAF sensors for Silverados that have failed due to K&N air filters. On the Chevys, the MAF sensor is very close to the airbox and oil contaminates the sensor. In fact, in the GM performance catalog, the perfomance air cleaner they sell is a dry one. What this has to do with Tacomas I don't know, but I thought I would just throw out some personal experience. If I ever put a high flow air filter in my Tacoma, I would use a dry one. Why take a chance?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #30
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Ran a K&N on my 79 Toyota for 20 + years, about 200,000 on that 20R and filter

Figure I got my money out of it

Ordered a K&N for my 92 4 Runner the day I ordered my truck and installed it before pulling out of the dealers lot .

Ran that for 15 + years and about a 145,000 miles
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #31
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Yeah but Janster-do they really make a difference for you? I have one too but it sits in a box on the toolbench because I felt it did nothing for my truck. My truck runs better with a stock filter-go figure
I had the K&N along with the deckplate mod & manual tranny. It made a noticable difference in throttle response. That was the 3.4L.

I have the AFE pro-dry in my 4.0L and removed the secondary air filter with an Auto tranny. I haven't noticed much difference. But then again, this is an Auto......I haven't played too much with it in terms of going 'all-out' or shifting it manually. I just like the fact I can clean the filter and was hoping for a little bit of gas savings too.

In terms of gas mileage....seems the 3.4L tacomas adjusted positively to different modifications to help improve gas mileage. I've already done the same mods on this 4.0L as I've done on the 3.4L and my MPG stayed the same as the day I bought it. They just arent' the same...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
You'd have to have ethanol for brains to oil your filter so much that the oil is being sucked off the filter medium.
Then I got ethanol for brains.

The first time I oiled my TRD I used half the bottle in the kit. It dripped (inside and out the filter) for days. I followed the instructions pretty carefully, but they don't give a clue how much to use. The diagram shows oil pouring onto the filter.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #33
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
Has anyone ever really had a MAF sensor damaged by an oiled air filter??
On my '05 Altima, yes, and I never oiled it, only used as is from the factory. On the Tacoma, I'm intelligent enough to have learned my lesson the first time.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #34
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What do your oil samples say? Not only did I have visible dust on my intake With 1 filter I tested, but My oil samples showed silica levels that were off the chart. I tried 4 differetn K&N type filters, and all gave high silica levels in the oil, thought 3 of them (Airaid, AFE, and TRD) didnt show dirt in the intake track. All were seated propperly in the air box.
that was what I experienced with the Altima. Blackstone tests before and after showed very high silicates with the K&N as opposed to the AEM Dryflow I used after my MAF died.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #36
Kylie's dad

Many of us have the AFE ProdryS. I haven't done any oil testing with it yet, though.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Man, its like you actually know what ur talking about!
Go figure.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #38
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
FL4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
KN filters won't go near any of my cars. I've had a MAF go out using the FACTORY OILED K&N filter!! So if they can't oil it correctly, we sure can't!!! I've also had upper ends off of many cars running K&N's, trust me... it's not pretty. Cars run better with a Paper filter. Of course K&N is going to try and sway your opinion.... they want to sell you a filter.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #40
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
just installed and maint. req. light is on. is it due to the k&n?
Do you mean the Check Engine light or the Maintenance Required light? If you actually mean the Maintenance light then no the K&N would have nothing to do with it, the maint. light just counts miles since it was last reset to remind you when to change your oil. It blinks at 4500 miles and stays solid at 5000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
If ur serious...I doubt it, check to make sure u didnt knock any wires loose when U were in there. MAF issues tend to take awhile, did u do anything else recently?

BTW welcome to TW from A-town
I think you might have read his post wrong...he said Maintenance Required light not Check Engine light.