Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Electric fan conversion

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #21
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
FL4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm more interested in the MPG gain, that's about it.... if I gain HP, cool. But MPG's are my #1 priority. I refuse to have a truck that gets 12mpg's when I'm done.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #22
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the Camaro fans on my old S-10 with a flex-a-lite controler. I really didn't notice any HP or MPG gains. Like Chris said above, the mech fans have fluid couplings so don't drag you down when cooling is not needed. The main differences I found were a lot less noise(mostly lost the startup fan roar), better A/C performance in stop and go traffic on really H&H days, and much better access to the engine with a more compact shroud and no big honkin metal fan in the way. I wouldn't expect any significant mpg gains on a Tacoma. I liked the e-fan on my s-10 but I'm not planning to do one on my 09 Tacoma yet..... Maybe in a couple years depending on how the a/c works in the summers.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #23
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
FL4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Good point Raylo. If you don't even get 1 MPG, it's probly not worth the time/money. I bet removing the mud flaps would do more!!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
It's not that water will screw up the stock fan, but if it's running when you go through deep water say bye-bye to your radiator. :2cents: That is the advantage of being able to shut off the electric fan.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #25
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
It's not that water will screw up the stock fan, but if it's running when you go through deep water say bye-bye to your radiator. :2cents: That is the advantage of being able to shut off the electric fan.
How do you figure? I have had vehicles COMPLETELY submerged, and they run just fine.....Never had a radiator problem....
Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #26
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
If the fan (fan proper, not fan motor) is running during while it is submerged the blades tend to suck forward like a propeller, and often cut the soft aluminum radiator. More of a problem with metal fans, but you'd be surprised what those plastic fan blades can do.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
If the fan (fan proper, not fan motor) is running during while it is submerged the blades tend to suck forward like a propeller, and often cut the soft aluminum radiator. More of a problem with metal fans, but you'd be surprised what those plastic fan blades can do.
Ok...Never had that happen, but it makes sense......
Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #28
WV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
WV_Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Electric fan wiring

My old wiring harness/relay for the Electric fan went out....It had a radiator fin probe temp senser..

My new one sitting on the floor....Is a THREAD-IN (3/8-18 NPT what ever the hell that is).........
  • Anyone use this instead of the Radiator fin probe type?
  • Where do I find this connection...manifold, radiator?
  • Can I make this work somehow?
  • Shouldn't this be a more reliable then the probe?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #29
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revival. There's no reason the fans mentioned in here wouldn't work on a 2010 is there? I'm looking for it for the water crossing issue mentioned in here.