Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Electric fan conversion

Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
FL4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Electric fan conversion

Anyone done a Electric fan conversion on the 05+ 4.0V6? On my old early 90's 3.0 I did the Ford SHO 2 speed Electric fan with a flexalite controler box, one of the best mods I ever did. However, I'd like to have something in a kit, with all new parts and not have to fab everything, bolt on ya know. so if I sell the truck in a few yrs I can slap the OEM fan/clutch back on. No permanent mods to this truck (drilling, welding etc). I see Flexalite makes an actual kit for our truck. has anyone done this kit? are there any other kits available?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
damn doesnt look half bad. will be something to do when there's $400 laying around...lol
Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
damn doesnt look half bad. will be something to do when there's $400 laying around...lol
yep comes with thermostat and the aluminum coolant reservoir to take place of the plastic one.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
yep comes with thermostat and the aluminum coolant reservoir to take place of the plastic one.
sweet....was an available mod for my 2.2L s-10 that i never got around to doing
Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
do you guys think the horsepower gain is worth the 400 bucks?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
will that kit work for the 4cyl as well?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
I think two guys on ttora have electric fans

if it's like on my older car, it gives quite a lot more power (when the fan runs only of course)
Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
The_05 is on a distinguished road

The_05's Tacoma Gallery
Found a Kit on Jegs same as above:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/678/10002/-1
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Hell, how often does the fan actually run on our trucks? I rarely ever notice it on except for on startup.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
dang, $400. that's up there. at 1mpg gain it'll take a while to pay that back. I paid $30 for the SHO 2 speed fan which could cool a freight train, and like $100 for the controller. Might be going that route again....
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Now how well do electric fans hold up. Like for off roading through mud and water.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
I never had an issue with them on my last rig, which was a SAS'd daily driver. Everything has to make $sense$. No way I'm going to spend 4hrs + on this kit, or putting one together, messing with my warranty, make the the truck less reliable all for 10HP/1mpg. Hence like I said I'd put my SHO kit on for $130, but i'm not spending $400.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Yea im really not planning on doing this when i could spend $350 on a AFE cold air intake instead.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #15
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
For off roading and river crossing get a flex-a-lite controller. The one I got for my old Chevy S-10 e-fan conversion had a terminal to connect a dash switch that could be used to make sure the fan stayed off during water crossings. Also, I have no idea if they will fit on a Tacoma or what kind of fabbing it would take, but the GM f-body (Camaro/Firebird) dual fan assembly was a great e-fan conversion for S-10s. Plenty of cooling power, not too noisy, and somewhat available at bone yards. Might be worth a look....
Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
the single SHO fan was awsome. 2 speed German motor, Bosch I believe. It kept my 3.0 cool in the FL summer when I was running WOT in sand pits for miles and miles long. I had tried 2 other fans from boneyard cars and they SUCKED. and I like the idea of the Fbody Fan kit.... but those are rare in my area's boneyards. And I doubt the motors are German. I used to sell a lot of those motors when I worked parts. I guess it's either the $400 Flex-a-lite kit or piece one together.... dang it.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
I stumbled upon that guy's write up a few nights ago. To much Fab... Uh, Might actually break down and buy the dang Flex-a-lite kit. I just hope the quality is there for that price. I like OEM quality. I'm scared of aftermarket parts, that's why I like making another OEM part fit.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
www.saveadane.org
Anathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anathollo's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I just love that I can switch on the fan to where it'll run full blast to cool the engine down. I had my sisters nissan Xterra overheat on me while I was evacuating for hurricane Rita. I was lucky and saw the gauge and was able to cool it down before it blew. Ever since then, I've been kinda weary... and no I didn't have the air conditioner on at the time! haha
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVHARD25 View Post
do you guys think the horsepower gain is worth the 400 bucks?
Not much of a HP gain....The OEM fan has a fluid coupling, and doesnt draw too much power, until its enguaged. Nice thing about the OEM fan, water wont screw it up.