1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

extremly mad about TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ClemsonTacoma, May 28, 2009.

1. Jul 30, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    Endurozw

Endurozw War Damn Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SR5 w/ tow package
    Fold-a-cover G4 - Wranger Duratrac 265/75/16 Audio Upgrades: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD / JL Audio HD600/4 amp / Hybrid Audio 6.5 Clarus up front / Arc Audio 10 in subwoofer
    To be fair though there is a huge age bias as far as getting work to your truck goes. I'm 24 and if I walked into the dealership with the TSB in hand saying that I often haul with my truck they'd give me one look at laugh. I'm a tall skinny white kid who looks like his dad bought him the truck.....the truth being I went to college for 5 years to get a engineering degree and this was my graduation present to myself. But they won't see that - they just see someone they think is spoiled.

Now if I was 10 yrs older....had a beard going....dirt on my jeans....john deere hat on. I could probably be guarateed that I would get the TSB work done to my truck - but I'll just wait for the actual TSB for the 09's to be released.

I do agree though that if you're not going to load your truck up and prove to them that your truck has this issue then you probably shouldn't bother going in. I read the TSB thread and was irritated that a new truck couldn't haul the rated weight but honestly until I buy a house I won't be hauling anything heavy - so until I can prove it I'll just make do.

2. Jul 30, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    -------------o-----------o-----------o-----------o-----------

I have a 2009 DCSC Tacoma TRD OR 4x2 (6 months old & 5,000).

About 3 months ago I talked to the "Service Director" at a big dealership (where I bought the truck) and told him that truck was on the bump stops with 500 lbs. in the bed.

He said ... he knew nothing of this TSB ... but would check it out and call me.

I called back several times over several days and left messages with NO return call ever.

Yesterday, I had to take the truck in with a "Check Engine Light" and I told the guy writing up te service order that I had whimpy springs on the back and needed the TSB done.

He said he would check out truck and get back to me (I was in service dept waiting room).

Her came back in an hour and said ... ALL parts were ordered (check engine issues and TSB parts for rear springs).

WOW ... I was surprised.

He did also tell me this ... He had to get it approved and Toyota did not want to do it because I had a 4x2 and not a 4x4.

Anyway ... it will be done when the parts come in ... I hope .. lol

Good luck and you just must be "politely persistent".

SOS

3. Jul 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    OK probably just put an add a leaf in and call it good huh?

4. Jul 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Do you haul a lot of stuff?? Cause if you 6 inch lift is working out right now- That'll probably do just fine. If you are having loading issues then look for an AAL or a replacement leaf pack...

5. Jul 30, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    TacomaDoug

TacomaDoug His and Hers

Member:
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 (Pyrite Mica)(Silver Streak)
    Pyrite - Cut mud flaps, AVS deflector, WeatherTech floor liners. Silver Streak - Running boards for wife, AVS deflector, Kenwood DNX6140.
    I have two 2009 double cab PreRunners. I just verified that the part numbers on my rear leaf springs match those on the TSB. They were both purchased on 07/04. I suppose I will wait for the TSB to include 09 models.

I've read in this thread that some people experience a change in ride and some don't. For those that do, is it a huge difference?

6. Jul 30, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    It wasn't massive, but it was definitely more firm.

7. Jul 31, 2009 at 2:14 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Don't know why I'm about to waste these next few precious moments of my life on this :rolleyes:...Listen kid, I did read your entire post from beginning to end and the way it reads is you did not originally do any of that until someone suggested it to you, now I could waste more of my time going through here and proving it and your conflicting story, but you are not worth any more of my time or effort. So good luck to you, hope it all works out for you.
    Oh and it if was a safety issue then it would be a RECALL not a TSB.
    Do you even know the payload of your truck and what factors affect it?

You called yourself lazy, I just repeated what you said ;).

8. Jul 31, 2009 at 2:40 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I was 26 when I had it done and don't look it, plus I'm a female...but some how I managed to walk into the dealership with the TSB in hand, walked up to the service writer, handed it to him and said 'I'd like to have this done to my truck', he looked at it and said 'sure let me take it around back and see which parts you need and if we have them'. They never questioned anything and he wrote on the paperwork 'customer states truck has harsh ride when loaded'.
    Now if he'd actually been concerned with it he could have looked in the bed and seen that I do carry a load as there is wear marks on the bed and I have a sticker on the rear window for the quad forum I'm on, he mentioned it afterwards 'so you ride a quad' and I said 'bought this truck to haul it', he says 'now it should handle much better'. He called a few days later to ask how I liked it and if I had any concerns.
    And I purchased it myself at 25 without any age discrimination (or gender)at the dealership, so I don't agree with the age bias excuse. I've never been treated like I didn't know what I was talking about on the mechanical aspect either as you might expect a male service writer to speak to a young female. I also got much respect at the offroad shop where I purchased my wheels/tires and had work done.
    Go in like a mature adult, have the correct information and be knowledgable to what you are talking about and you will be surprise at the service you receive.
    The TSB doesn't mean EVERY Tacoma can't handle the stated payload, some people have loaded their trucks to payload and didn't have a problem at all. Any truck you load to payload is going to squat to some extent. Our 1/2 ton truck squats worse than my Tacoma with a load, our 3/4 ton truck had to get air bags installed to carry the load we put on it and there is no TSB on those.

If you went in with a John Deere hat and dirty, they would probably say you should have bought a real truck :laugh:.

9. Jul 31, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    Endurozw

Endurozw War Damn Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SR5 w/ tow package
    Fold-a-cover G4 - Wranger Duratrac 265/75/16 Audio Upgrades: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD / JL Audio HD600/4 amp / Hybrid Audio 6.5 Clarus up front / Arc Audio 10 in subwoofer

Eh, it's a little bit different in alabama especially in the area where I bought my truck. I live in Hoover ( probably doesn't mean much to you ) but this is where all of the rich white kids that have mommy and daddy buy them range / land rovers - even driving around I'll have dad's glare at me because they think I didn't buy the truck myself. It's probably more of a southern " worked hard for everything I have " mentality than anything.

That said you're right if I went in - actually towed things with my truck - was on a quad forum ;) - and had the TSB in hand and wasn't a dick about getting the work done, I could probably have it done. I just haven't actually loaded my truck up to 1k lbs because honestly I just put camping gear - my mountain bike back there usually....trips to destin with coolers etc will probably hit 4-500 lbs max and I didn't have any problems then either. When it comes time to load it up with mulch / concrete bags then I'll probably have them come take a look at it :D

10. Jul 31, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    :D Good luck to you. At least you have the knowledge if/when you do have a problem. But be warned that if you like the ride quality you have now and don't plan on hauling near payload often, the TSB will make the ride 'stiffer' and some people do not like that. If you have loaded 500lbs now without an issue then you are probably good, remember payload is affected by weight in the cab and accessories (tow hitch, etc) added and hauling near payload is going to cause it to squat in the rear and will hit the stops over bumps while loaded heavy that is their function, but it should not be sitting on the bump stops if you aren't over loaded.

11. Jul 31, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    dennyct@hotmail.com

dennyct@hotmail.com Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida & New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    Estang Tri-Fold
    I was at my dealer to pick up my PL5300 Pop & Lock and talked to the service manager about the rear leaf TSB for my 09 double cab 4x4 TRD Sport. I stated that I will be clearing 1/2 acre of land and that I would have to transport a lot of logs to the DPW yard. I stated that I read on TacomaWorld.com that many people with the same truck that I have are experiencing problems even hauling 500 pounds in the bed. I pointed out that I have the yellow capacity sticker in the door jam and that my leafs are the same numbers as were replaced on the current TSB. He said that he would have to call the regional manager to see if he would get paid for doing it. I returned a few days later and asked if he would do the TSB and he said "absolutely not". He said my vin was not covered. I told him that when I start clearing the property, when the weather gets cooler, and if I experience hauling problems, I will file a complaint with Toyota and he can deal with my problem then. I wanted to be honest with him but the regional manager for New Jersey is a dick. I wonder if the regional manager is just following national policy?

12. Jul 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I too had to go to through a regional manager or DSPM (district service and parts manager) and after the inspection with the DSPM which they rode around my truck for nine miles, they said they didn't experience any abnormalities and that they drove an equally equipped truck to compare. I then said my complaint is not that the ride sucks, it clearly states on the service paper that it "bottoms out with minimal load" and that it "rides harsh with minimal load" and ask what part of that didn't the dspm not understand? The foreman at the dealership then stated and put in the service ticket that "bottoming out is part of the normal function". That's when I called Toyota back and my case got transferred to a case manager which then called the dspm and told him that there have been plenty of complaints in regards to this and that the 2009's still have the same parts in the truck and that Toyota Corporate knows this and are approving the work done to those who complains.

I went to Toyota of Whittier, CA which has done about 4 or more rear TSB's according to the "dealerships who has done the rear TSB" thread and I still had a hard time dealing with them to get mine done. Mine was the first 2009 to get done at that dealership.

For those wanting to get this done, I suggest you get the NHTSA and the BBB involved to force Toyota to either include the 2009's in the TSB or stop advertising innacurate payload capacity.

www.bbb.org
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov

13. Jul 31, 2009 at 1:45 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

You should have filed a complaint with Toyota first. Sorry to hear that the dealer is jerking you around.

14. Sep 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Congrats on the TSB. Really mindless that the same part numbers for 4 model years (05-08) are covered but the same part numbers on an 09 aren't, for what sane reason? Because they just hadn't gotten around to clerically including them? Really disappointing how limpdick bullshit big 3 nonsense has come to Toyota. Nevermind how the same lame parts are still being used for 5 model yrs until customer complains about them instead of just putting the right shit on there to begin with after people complained about the 05's, you know, the kinda practices that built their rep & customer satisfaction & loyalty to way back when it was being done right the first time.

Products Discussed in

To Top