Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tinting tail lights help

Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
cstainton will become famous soon enough

cstainton's Tacoma Gallery
Tinting tail lights help

Does anyone know a write up on how to Tint tail lights? I Have the VHT Night shades i just want to make sure i do this right and i dont know how to take off the tail lights and everything.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstainton View Post
Does anyone know a write up on how to Tint tail lights? I Have the VHT Night shades i just want to make sure i do this right and i dont know how to take off the tail lights and everything.
Not sure on the tints but its easy to take off the tail lights. Lower the tailgate and just unscrew a couple screws on the side. I'm not positive where but its pretty much self explanitory.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
cstainton will become famous soon enough

cstainton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Not sure on the tints but its easy to take off the tail lights. Lower the tailgate and just unscrew a couple screws on the side. I'm not positive where but its pretty much self explanitory.
okay thanks..
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstainton View Post
okay thanks..
Yup not problem. SOrry I couldn't help you out with the tints though. Someone will, there are a bunch of people on here that have tinted them out.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine last week and used VHT and clear coated them.

When you put the tailgate down, you will see 3 bolts that look like they go into the taillights. Only the top and bottom bolts hold the light assembly, leave the center one tight.

Once you have the bolts out, pull the assembly straight out. It will be tight because there's 2 alignment pins that help hold the light in place. When you get it loose from the body, unplug the wiring harness socket from the back of the light. Mine was tight, but it came loose with a little wiggling back and forth while I was squeezing the plug.

Here's how I tinted my tails:

1. Clean the surface of both lights with a clean paper towel and denatured alcohol and let dry. This will remove all contaminates from the surface.

2. Lightly sand the surfaces with 400 grit (or 600 grit) wet/dry sandpaper. Some folks do not do this part, but IMO it should help with the tint sticking to the plastic.

3. Clean again with denatured alcohol and let dry. Do not touch the surface of the lens any more. You want the surfaces as clean as possible before tinting.

4. Find a dust free place where you can do all of the tinting and clear coat without having to touch or move the lights for about the next 6 hours.

5. After shaking the Nite Shades as directed on the label, use light even coats as directed, and allow about 15-20 minutes between coats of tint. I put on 2 coats of tint. Allow 30 minutes of dry time after the last coat of tint.

6. Apply light coats of clear allowing the dry time between coats as directed on the can. Dry time will vary depending on which type of clear you use. I applied 4 coats of clear to my lights.

7. After the final coat of clear, I let the lenses dry to the touch (about 1 hour), and then moved them outside in the sun to cure.

8. After 2 hours in the sun, I started the sanding and polishing.

9. The wet sanding started with 400 grit, and then I used 600, 800, and finished up with 1,000 grit. You want to get rid of the "orange peel" on the surface. I found if I did the sanding outside, the sun actually made it much easier to see where I needed to sand more.

10. After sanding them smooth, I used rubbing compound to remove the scratches from sanding.

11. After the rubbing compound I used to polishing compound to further remove the fine scratches left behind by the rubbing compound.

12. The last step in this process is to apply wax to the finished lights.

13. Finally, reinstall the tails and admire your work.

From start to finish, this mod took me about 6 hours, but it includes and lot of time waiting....... Actual "work time" is about 2 hours, most of that is in the sanding and polishing.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
^ if you're going to do it...do it right! Nice write-up!

I'd like to see pictures of your finished product.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
^ if you're going to do it...do it right! Nice write-up!

I'd like to see pictures of your finished product.
Me too, but it's been raining since I did mine, so no pics yet.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds awesome, can't wait to do mine.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
weekend project! Nice job btw