LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My version of the Honda S2K Antenna mod...

Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
My version of the Honda S2K Antenna mod...

05PreRunner recently brought it to my attention that a Honda S2000 antenna could be put on the Tacoma. And it fit in perfectly with my Amalgam theme.

The original thread he showed me is here.

But that seemed like too much work for me, so I came up with an easier way.

You will need:

A pair of pliers
JB Weld
Chopsticks from "Golden Chopsticks Chinese Food" (for mixing the JB Weld)
Threaded Rod, Size SAE Fine #10-32 x 36" (or shorter if you can find it, you need about 4")
Two nuts, 8mm, fine threads
Hand saw with metal-cutting blade (or a Dremel with a cut-off wheel)
Honda S2000 antenna.

First, remove the Honda screw base. I just pulled out on it with a pair of pliers. It's the gold part in the picture:

Here it is completely removed:

Then I went and got two nuts that would fit in place of the Honda screw base. I mixed up some JB Weld and put a little inside the antenna where the original screw base came from, and then set the two nuts in:

Next, take your threaded rod and cut off about 4" from the end:

Here's what I ended up with:

Then simply screw the piece of threaded rod into the nuts inside the antenna. The antenna is soft rubber, so the rod will thread itself into the antenna. Leave about 1" to 1 1/4" so the antenna will sit flush on the Tacoma's antenna base. I added a little dab of JB Weld where the nuts meet the threaded rod just to make sure nothing ever vibrates loose.

Finally, just screw the antenna onto the truck!

Thanks again, No, for the idea!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
mine ended up coming off at a car wash .... i may be trying your write up sometime in the future...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
mine ended up coming off at a car wash .... i may be trying your write up sometime in the future...
Damn. Well, at least with throwing the JB Weld on there, you know it isn't going anywhere!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
How's the reception with the new antenna?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
How's the reception with the new antenna?
I have no idea. I don't ever listen to the radio...isn't that a shame? Something that's essentially free, and I turn it down...

Edit: I just got back from outside, and the reception is only slightly worse than with the stock antenna.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty cool dude. I like it.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
You should have ordered the cravenspeed antenna for toyota trucks:
http://cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=215

25 bucks with shipping and while it does not pick up reception like stock, the look is great.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post
You should have ordered the cravenspeed antenna for toyota trucks:
http://cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=215

25 bucks with shipping and while it does not pick up reception like stock, the look is great.
Wow! That is TINY!

(that's what she said)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Cool but I like mine hitting every ceiling beam in the parking garage @ work, lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
Everyday Trollin'
LaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really nice
Name: MeTaL
LaTeM's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to LaTeM Send a message via AIM to LaTeM Send a message via Yahoo to LaTeM Send a message via Skype™ to LaTeM
I ended up buying this antenna for a Honda

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-H...Q5fAccessories

and did mod as written up, looks great, and I notice no difference from stock quality?

Could the slightly different antenna make the difference?