Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changed gears, now speedo off, I need a Toyota technician!!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
KingDavey is on a distinguished road

Name: Think about it...
KingDavey's Tacoma Gallery
Changed gears, now speedo off, I need a Toyota technician!!

Hi everyone, I love the forums! You can find almost anything on here. Now my problem. I have a base 2wd 08 access cab with the 4 banger and manual transmission. I swapped out the diff carrier and diff with one from a double cab prerunner for the limited slip and better gears for spirited driving. Now my speedometer still reads like the stock gears are in it. I understand that the speed sensor is in/on the transmission, and that the info is sent to the ecu, then to the speedo. So how can I get the speedo to read right? Can a toyota tech use a Toyota computer and adjust my ecu to know that I have different gears? Or is there an aftermarket computer that works? Or are there different speed sensors like old transmissions that had swapable speed gears? I belive that my truck came with 3.31 and the gears I put in are 3.73. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

Johnson8537's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavey View Post
Hi everyone, I love the forums! You can find almost anything on here. Now my problem. I have a base 2wd 08 access cab with the 4 banger and manual transmission. I swapped out the diff carrier and diff with one from a double cab prerunner for the limited slip and better gears for spirited driving. Now my speedometer still reads like the stock gears are in it. I understand that the speed sensor is in/on the transmission, and that the info is sent to the ecu, then to the speedo. So how can I get the speedo to read right? Can a toyota tech use a Toyota computer and adjust my ecu to know that I have different gears? Or is there an aftermarket computer that works? Or are there different speed sensors like old transmissions that had swapable speed gears? I belive that my truck came with 3.31 and the gears I put in are 3.73. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I sawsomthing out there when researching Chips but it was VERY EXPENSIVE computer plug in to adjust the speedo! I dont know of anyone who did it?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Changing the gears will not affect your speedometer. It should still be accurate.

Did you test it? Got a GPS?

If you change tire size (diameter) and go bigger or smaller, the speedo won't be accurate anymore.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Changing the gears will not affect your speedometer. It should still be accurate.

Did you test it? Got a GPS?

If you change tire size (diameter) and go bigger or smaller, the speedo won't be accurate anymore.
Changeing gear will affect the speedo. Just like larger or smaller tires. It wont affect it if the speedo signal is taken from the diff.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
KingDavey is on a distinguished road

Name: Think about it...
KingDavey's Tacoma Gallery
I also read in another thread of a speedo recalibrator from Dakota Digital. It seems quite involved, but it would probably work. Has anyone every dealt with one of these? And yes, the speed sensor is on the trans, not the diff.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavey View Post
I also read in another thread of a speedo recalibrator from Dakota Digital. It seems quite involved, but it would probably work. Has anyone every dealt with one of these? And yes, the speed sensor is on the trans, not the diff.
I havent delt with any spedo corectors. I useually just GPS my speed, and make a mental note of how far off my speedo is.