1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warning light?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by garrettski, May 31, 2009.

1. May 31, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    garrettski

garrettski [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truckee CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2 ten in JL, 5100s, flowmaster 40.
    BFG allterrains, 2 ten inch JL w3,alpine v power amp,alpine cda-9886, bilstein 5100, flowmaster 40.
    last night i drove home from a party and my batterie light came on, it came on for a couple minutes then went off. Then when i got home it came back on again.

This morning its still on,i checked the Manuel and it says stop immediately and call Toyota! It also say that the drive belt may have broken and thats why its on. the drive belt if perfect.
    Any suggestions would be awesome!
    Thanx Garrrettski

2. May 31, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Possibly your batt is dying or alternator going out... combo of the two...

3. May 31, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you still under warrantee?

Call the dealer and let them deal with it.

How's the truck crank over to start? How's the lighting? etc?

Do you offroad at all? Do a lot of muddin?
    Mud & crap can get inside the alternator making it less effective and stop it from working. Generally, you need to clean it out good and inspect the brushes (if they still have them). When the alternator is less effective, that'll wear down your battery VERY quickly.

Now...if the alternator is caked with mud and the battery is dead from that - then I highly doubt toyota will cover that under warrantee.

4. May 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    My suspect is the alternator, without a doubt. Its more than likely 'less effetive' as Janster put it.... once you drive down the road the RPM's come up and its producing more amperage. But at idle, chances are the draw from your lights and such were reducing the voltage thus the idiot light.

I also noticed you're running a stereo which probably draws a decent amount of power. While the Tacoma alternator is no joke for power, do you think your system could have simply drawn too much juice (maybe you ran it with the truck off?), and kept the battery voltage down, not allowing the alternator to keep up? Also, is the fuse in your stereo the proper size?

Shorts will blow fuses, so I wouldn't bother checking any wiring, other than your stereo. Leading us back to the Alternator.

Products Discussed in

To Top