Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

new stereo, speakers or sub???

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Mainland Newfie
mainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud of
mainland_newfie's Tacoma Gallery
new stereo, speakers or sub???

Ok, I have a JVC 7 inch double din its not in yet, but will be installed as soon as I get the dash plate for it, its on its way.

So heres my question. I've never been a big stereo guy. Not really my thing. But my buddy gave me a ten inch polk sub. And I'm not sure if I want to pay to get a sub box put in the limited space in the back *access cab. Because with it theres no room for a passenger except a child. And I'm not sure if there'll be room for an amp with the box in.

What I'm thinking is selling the sub my buddy gave me and putting in better speakers and an amp instead of the sub. Still haev the leg room, and the sound might be better than a sub with stock speakers. Any opinions???
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
access cab? do the speakers. I put a AVIC f900 in mine with new 6" component in the front and 6 1/2 in the back. I later had an amp and sub in , and while it had more bass the speakers alone were enough. you would get a greater improvement in sound by replacing the door speakers.
Also if later down the road you need a sub, it's pretty easy to put in. They all take up some room unless you have $600 for the special sub that goes in the center console

gl
Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Mainland Newfie
mainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud of
Come on guys, 28 views and only one comment??? Hook me up here
Old 05-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
NMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to all

NMG's Tacoma Gallery
I would do the speakers first, no question about it. High quality new speakers (especially run with adequate power) may provide you with enough of an improvement that you can live without a sub. I doubt going the other way would. Just my opinion of course

I guess it comes down to whether your preference is bass or mids/highs. I like them all but the latter is far more important when it comes to sound quality IMHO.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
sweater914 will become famous soon enough
sweater914's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't worry about the sub just yet. Change your headunit and decide if you really what to dive into the speakers. Once you start talking speakers and amps you can easily go off the deep end.

Changing the fronts with a good component set up and some rear co-axials for rear fill with a decent amp will be light years ahead of the stock set up.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Mainland Newfie
thanks guys, I will probably sell the two polk 10 inch subs my buddy gave me then and put the money into some speakers then. Give me more room in the back and will probably sound better than stock speakers and a sub
Old 06-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Sg5845 is on a distinguished road
Sg5845's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same as LBTaco. The AVIC F-90BT. Added a backup camera (very useful in that truck). I put component speakers in with an Infinity Amp. (500 watts) Plenty of sound!

That being said, I will probably put the sub in to complete the sound system.