1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand New Double Cab with Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalsmthme, May 31, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 4:29 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    True, but in my case the Dealership, the service writer and the service manager, lied to me about my coverage and refused to honor it even though I fully qualified for the tire warranty and they were fully capable of assisting me in the claim. They admitted they were wrong after I made complaints to Toyota and they were originally going to send me a check since based on their false information that I could not get a warranty claim I bought new tires myself. At some point they changed their tune and would not honor my complaint and I was simply told go to Toyota. Toyota agreed with my complaint and I was told a check was in the mail only to be told a week later they changed their mind and would not hear anything further from me.
    Toyota Dealers that have tire sales are fully capable of honoring the tire warranty just as any tire distributer is and they should be more than willing to do it, but that is not always the case.

My bad tires were discovered after my 1st rotation, 2 out of round and way out of specs were originally on the rear. I was told by another dealer way after the fact that those bad tires were most likely placed on the rear on purpose after it was discovered they were bad or caused a vibration. :rolleyes:
    It sucks, but not everyone is out there to provide you with the correct information or to help you out.

I couldn't agree more. I wish this was always the case, but it seems to me more and more that customer service has gone down the toilet. :mad:

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 4:46 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Now let's hear some more about how it's just how things go, don't be preterbed, la ti da, don't worry about wasting your time/gas chasing shit like this around when you could be doing something else, it was only 30k & brand new, Toyota's not responsible for what they are selling, be all nice about 30k & not even fully functional out the door, birds will sing, fuckity suckity BULLSHIT.

3. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

They why the SEPARATE warranty? Deal with the right people that holds the warranty and you'll get much better response. Toyota agreed to let the tire manufacturer deal with any tire issues. So deal with the tire people.

I do think the deal can help get the problem sorted, but why deal with a middle man? Just another cog in the mess.

This is not a dealer issue (if it's a tire problem). The dealer needs to narrow it down TO the tires, or find the actual problem if it's not the tires.

4. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Um.. If can go to the Toyota dealer and buy tires there, Wouldn't that make them a tire dealer also?

And having to take the tire to a tire dealer for warranty work, would be like having to take the radio to a samsung repair place. But the toyota dealer is replacing radios left and right.... hmmm..

5. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    All this hostility...and resistance from Toyota. Go to the right people on this and waste a LOT less negative energy trying to get the wrong manufacturer to do something.

Saying you just dropped 30k there don't mean squat. Toyota does not warranty the tires, and I can't think of any vehicle manufacturer that does.

I am only saying this as I have had tire issues before...I knew when I bought it that the tires were covered NOT by the dealer (remember, you signed a statement of understanding and have documents stating that) but by the tire manufacturer. You even get tire pamphlets telling you how to deal with tire issues.
    I went straight to the tire manufacturer and it was taken care of. No pissing match with a dealer that didn't have a stake in the warranty in the first place.

Keep on pissing up a rope at the dealer, or just go get the tires dealt with? I guess it's up you and how much anger management you'll need after finding out in the long run that the dealer was the wrong route to go.

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Is there a separate warranty for the radio? No. That's why the dealer takes care of it. :rolleyes:

Is the dealer a tire dealer?

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Tire issues don't cause klunking. Maybe part of the make ready on new vehicles while you sit around & wait for another hour or 2 should include a QA drive down the street & back to ensure no idiot issues for a "valued customer" to be happy & consider purchasing the same brand again or purchasing from the same dealer again. I know, I know, they don't give a shit but they can only play that game for so long before the dealership closes & people are all out of work because no one is concerned about customers being happy with their purchase. Impressions mean nothing right? Fuckhead concept..........

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    The tire warranty issues are in play only IF the dealer has determined that the tires ARE the problem. If there is other problems...of course the dealer should be getting on that. That wasn't part of the debate. Just who is responsible for the tires if they are defective, and the dealer is not responsible. Fact.

Keep in mind here, we are only getting one side of the story as well. A clunk to one person is nothing to another. Not saying the OP does not have a valid issue, but something to take with a grain of salt.

All to easy to jump on the bashing bandwagon when in reality, we don't know the full story. I am simply offering up the devils advocate side.

9. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    aka tobacco industry defense lawyer position. Fact....vehicle should have no issues at all when rolled out for customer to take delivery, especially when new vs. "certified" preowned. Period.

10. Jun 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

:confused:

You buy a new vehicle, it has warranties, if it has problems (it happens on occasion as with ANYTHING you buy), you deal with whoever has the warranty. If you think every vehicle that comes off the assembly line is going to be perfect, you live in a dream world. There is a process in place. Not sure what you keep trying to say...

11. Jun 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    What I AM saying is that a brand new vehicle that is rolled out for you to take delivery of should've been checked leaving the factory for some level of integrity & that everything functions before shipping. It should've been checked out at some basic level when it is accepted by the dealer when it arrives. Batteries charged on occassion, washed here & there until someone shows interest in it while in dealer's possession. It then should be checked over a bit better during make ready to ensure no obvious anything is wrong with it including making sure the tires don't have corners, it runs like it is supposed to, it rolls down the road like it is supposed to & is clean before sending anyone out in it. Anything brand new that leaves the dealership with immediate problems = manufacturer/dealer FAIL.

edit - BTW, I guess I do live in a dreamworld to expect from others what is expected of me....i.e. truth in representation, not half ass work, living within your means, obeying laws, keeping your word, speaking up for what is right, helping those unable to help themselves, showing respect when you want or expect some, not getting by at the expense of others, etc etc etc. You know, all that old school quakery that folks love to hide behind but not practice.

12. Jun 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    I agree, some of these posts here are pretty negative, but my position still stands.

Even though the tires are under warrenty from the manufacturer the dealer could still help you out. I know it's not their responsibility but if it's a simple fix they could take care of it, I know if I was a GM or Service Manager it wouldn't be good to let a customer be unhappy when a $100 tire fix would solve the issue.

When I bought my faucet at HD, inside the box it clearly said, DO NOT RETURN TO STORE, CALL US AT 800-XXX-XXXX for repair or replacement, the store does not warrenty our products. But guess what, I had a problem with the valves and 3 weeks later with the receipt, Home Depot gave me a full refund for a used, unsalable faucet, they could have easily said, didn't you read the warrently information in the box, but they wanted to keep me as a customer.

Regardless, I still think approaching the dealer on a purchase made 70 miles ago is reasonable. Especially these days when the customer has much more power to make or break a dealership.

Also, I'll say that calming discussing your issue will get you farther then yelling and throwing things across the room (not saying anyone did this)...

Rob

13. Jun 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    ^^^^^Someone who understands the show!!!

14. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    This conversation went places I never intended. The truck is at the Goodyear service center as I type this getting new tires. I will adress the front end issue Saturday morning at Toyota.

15. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

If you bothered to read what I have typed, you'd understand that I totally get this whole thing. I have stated that a dealer should inspect the truck for problems, but if it gets to the point it's a tire issue, then it's a different warranty.

As the OP just posted, he is getting new tires from where? Yep, the TIRE dealer. Then on to the Toyota if needed. Sounds like it worked just like it was supposed to. Why all the negativity is beyond me.:confused:

16. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Glad you are getting your issues sorted out. It does amaze me that a brand new set of tires can be bad right out of the box. But, I guess it happens more than I like to admit. Will be curious what your other issues are (if they are still there). Keep us posted.

17. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Turns out it wasn't bad tires. The toyota dealer never rebalanced when they said they did. The two front wheels were a little over an 1.5oz out and one of the back ones was 2 oz out. Goodyear gets my props on this one. The toyota dealer is going to get an earful for wasting my time.

18. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    as they should. :mad: No excuse.

19. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Toyota should be responsible for those tires. They probably or should have some kind of system where defective tires are sent back and refunded for. It makes me sad when I hear all these dealer troubles because I've had nothing but excellence from mine.

I hope changing your tires solves your problem, but a clunking sound....that's back to the dealer if it persists.

20. Jun 4, 2009 at 4:08 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    The Toyota dealers here ARE tire dealers and DO honor tire warranties..well they are supposed to when they are providing the proper level of customer service :rolleyes: mine didn't so I made the complaints to Toyota and to the dealership based on their lack of customer service.
    Some dealerships are not tire dealers and I agree if that is the case then take the issue to an authorized tire dealer for the warranty claim.

Products Discussed in

To Top