1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand New Double Cab with Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalsmthme, May 31, 2009.

1. Jul 4, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    Bob's 07 Tacoma

Bob's 07 Tacoma Member

Member:
    St Marys Co.Maryland
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD SPORT
    I hear ya...I had a 84 Toyota 4x4 pickup..Loved that trk..Kept it until it until frame rusted in haft...Had welded back twice until there was no more metal left to work with...

2. Jul 4, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    Back in the day I bought a new '87 4x4 Toyota pickup, and drove it without problem one until I moved on to a '93, another 4x4 Toyota truck that served me without any issue whatsoever. Then came a '98 4x4 TRD SR5 extended cab, my first Gen 1 Tacoma, and it too was a dream to own and drive. From there I moved into my current truck, the '03 4x4 TRD SR5 Tacoma, and I cannot imagine any reason that I'd ever want or need to part with it - it's just that good.

Of course out here in the desert we don't have frame rust problems like you guys in snow country do with all the salt and slush on your roads, so if you keep your Taco serviced and treat it right it'll come close to lasting forever!

3. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    In case anyone wants an update, here goes. I took the truck in today so the regional rep could evaluate it. He basically told me I would have to live with the vibration between 15-30mph because doing the spring TSB changed the driveline angle enough to create that vibration. They claim adding wieght to the back eliminated the vibration. They are going to swap back to the original springs and basically start over from scratch. I think arbitration is in my future......

4. Jul 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    thomasr1950

thomasr1950 19 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Member:
    central us
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I've got some vibration on my Taco too. Dealer rebalanced tires once, that helped but i still have some vibration. I am going back to dealer for a nd time. I emailed Toyota & let them know to make sure i'm covered in case i still have the issue after the month warranty on this runs out. I'd like to know if anyone else is having this issue.

5. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    So it has been a while since I have updated on this. I am still chasing this issue. So basically I am back to square one. After Toyota put my old springs back in they refused to work on my truck. It took a while, but I convinced the service director to work on it more after a drive where he felt the vibration. It took about a week to get the truck back in the shop, so I took it to anothershp in town with a road force balancer. They were able to rebalance the tires and ALMOST elimintate the entire problem. I sill have some buzzing in the steering from what I believe to be a bad intermediate shaft, but I digress. So I took the truck into Toyota and showed them the results from the other shop. Needless to say, they wern't happy. I recommended that they swap wheels and tires off of another truck on the lot and let me drive it. He refused stating that if it worked, he wouldn't have a data point to give to Toyota to get them to pay for new wheels and tires. I asked if customer satisfaction was a data point and he said no, they don't care if I am satisfied...... Anyway, he remeasured the tires and miraculously my tires were bad, so they ordered a set of Michilen LTX M/S. I was skeptical. I took the truck home to my parents and took my Dads wheels off of his '07 TRD Sport and put them on my truck. It helped alot, but there was a very subtle shake still in the wheel. I went back to the dealer and told him of my findings, he again was not pleased and just wanted to throw on tires. So they did. I got the truck back today. Big surprise it is as awful as ever. I am at a loss. I did attach the alignment readout though if someone wants to desipher anything from it.....

maguire.jpg

6. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    thomasr1950

Member:
    central us
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm going back to my servicing/selling dealer tomorrow for the 3rd time with my vibration issue. Toyota says that is the only way without a possible out of pocket diagnostic fee. The service advisor said something about the tech used the wrong adapter. Not sure what they mean but i will find out & post results.

7. Aug 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    They should be using a Haweka adapter if you have steel wheels. That is for lug-cenric wheels. If you have aluminum, then they should be hub-centric. I have not confirmed if Toyota is using the adapter on my wheels. I suspect not considering the quality of the balance. Either that or I have something else wrong with the truck. I am thinking about shelling out another $70 for a balance at the other local shop.

8. Nov 12, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I had subscribed to this thread a while back because I was having the same problem, but not as severe as the OP. My vibration was at about 50-55 and was there from day 1. I should not have signed the check until they fixed it, but I didn't figure it was anything but a balance issue. Since I was going to change out the wheels, I figured it would get fixed then. BTW I had the 245/75-16 AT20s.

After getting the new wheels installed, same tires, vibration was still there. I lived with it and watched the threads to see it anyone actually seemed to get it fixed. I finally got tired (pun intended!) of the AT20s as I wasn't happy with the wet traction or the way they seem to heel over on anything but the slowest of turns and had them replaced with a set of 265/70-16 Geolanders. Vibration is now gone and it handles much better as these tires don't heel over as much.

Sounds like the OP has several issues going at once, but my problem appears to have been tires. Oh yeah, my truck is an 09 SR5 Prerunner DC Auto.

9. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I just had my rear wheel drums replaced and the vibration went away. They initially turned the rotors and that didn't help much. I now feel a little vibe in the steering wheel and I suspect it's the Dunlop AT 20's. Will drive it for a while and my service mgr. said to drive it in a bit and if any issues, just take it back in. I suspect its either the cold weather tire combo or front rotors but a lot if not all of my vibrations are gone.

10. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I eat my words, after the rear drums being replaced and front tires balanced, I still get vibration at 25MPH when braking. Anyone else experienced this?

11. Jun 2, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I would have them replace the front rotors and pads.

12. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    thomasr1950

Member:
    central us
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I agree, at least have them turned. I had a smiliar issue, dealer tunred the front rotors. It helped.

13. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    ultraxr

ultraxr Active Member

Member:
    Chula Vista, CA
    dalsmthme - any updates.

Products Discussed in

To Top