Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question: Factory Rebate when calculating Sales Tax

Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
khfactor is on a distinguished road

khfactor's Tacoma Gallery
Question Question: Factory Rebate when calculating Sales Tax

I often wonder how each state or dealership treat Factory Rebates to consumers when it comes to calculating sales tax ...

There seemed to be two methods of applying REBATE; one according to dealerships and one according to consumers like us. So if any of you have gone thru this, perhaps you can shed some lights on the issue....

Say, for the sake of arguments, if the TRUCK total comes to $30,000 before tax, title, and tag. (using 6% tax as an example, and $150 for Tag & Title)

We have the following scenarios:

Method #1:

Price of Truck $30,000
Sales Tax $1800
T/T $150
--------------------------
Total $31,950.00
Less Rebate $500.00
----------------------------
Out the door $31,450.00

Method #2

Price of Truck $30,000
Less Rebate: $500
----------------------------
Subtotal $29,500
Sales tax $1770
T/T $150
-----------------------------
Out the Door $31,420.00

I know ther is only $30.00 difference, but who is RIGHT ??
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Vermont taxes pre-rebate meaning you get your rebate after the tax is figured in. I don't know if its right, wrong or indifferent, but just the way it is here. Even if you buy an item at Costco that has an instant rebate, you get taxed on the item pre-rebate.

Also, get this, you get taxed in a private party sale, not on your bill of sale, but nada book value. No matter what you pay, if its worth more, the state wants what the book says. Every window at DMV has the book and looks it up. The only way around it is to go to a dealer and get it appraised which cost you money, then bring that form in and they then tax you on the appraisal. Of course if its less in the book, you pay your bill of sale. Totally messed up. Clerk told me its because too many people were lying on their bills of sale, so hit the honest guy.

That is why I buy online (no tax yet) or go to tax free NH, the live free or die state to shop as much as possible.