1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any way to add D-rings without dremel?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgrande, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Those bolts are so tight. I am always afraid I will strip one. With the right hex/star driver, did yours loosen easily?

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I'm with silverback!! chain to each d ring and go....one in the bed bolt wins. :D

3. Jun 3, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    fttank

fttank Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 6-sp TRD OR Super White
    Does anyone know how the factory rear D-rings are mounted? Bed vs. frame?

4. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I climbed under my truck yesterday to take a look because I was curious. It seems they use the same bolt that comes with the extra parts pack you get from toyota, but they bolt right into the frame in the back. Not the plate thing in the extra pack.

I'm also with silverback on the placing issue. I had to haul my buddies GSXR 1000 on a 4 hour drive a few weeks back and used ratchet straps (which is all I really use, you can never have enough straps), I had to really watch how tight I cranked down the ones strapped on the cleats, but I was able to go all out on the rear D-rings. Thats what made me do this mod.

5. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Where can you but the extra D-rings

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I assume you meant "buy"? I got mine from the toyota dealer. Other guys on here get cheaper ones and make them fit, but I figured wtf, I know these ones will hold alot so why take a chance.

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    Moytoy

Moytoy Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner sport tuned
    For those that have mounted them to be bed bolts, what did you torque them to? I've not seen anyone mention this.

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I torqued them till I couldn't torque no more....I think they are tighter than when I took them out.

9. Jun 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Same here, I thought about using some loctite, but no one on here had mentioned using it so I didn't.

10. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    My bed bolts came out no problem, they actually felt pretty loose! I did put Loc-Tite on them when I put the bolts back in. Mount the front ones under the bed bolt, it's easy and they're rock solid!!

11. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    Toyota Man

Toyota Man Toyota Man

Member:
    Oregon, Centeral Willamette Valley
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB TRD super charged off road
    TRD super charger, TRD cold air intake, and exhaust. Downey coil overs coming soon
    There was a posting on Craigslist for Portland Oregon from a guy that had his inner bed replaced after this last winter. The dude left his tire chains in the back they started sliding around in the back and popping a hole in it. The dealer gave him the old one and he was trying to sell it.:confused: Don't know why anybody would want one that had a hole in it, but I have seen one.

12. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Must have been a freeze dried bed......:cool:

13. Jun 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    You can pick them up at the dealer for like $22.00 a set.

Hey this is my 100th pos!! Cool!!

14. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    To remove the washer, just set the bolt upside down resting in a vice opened just enough to rest the washer on. Tap the bolt past the threads at the top where the washer is at. The rest of the bolt is a smaller diameter, so the washer slips right off once you clear the threads at the top. The threads at the top aren't really threads, they're just a method to keep the washers from sliding off the bolts if you look closely.

15. Jun 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Matt gets the Uber Genius award and POS Rep for making the complex SIMPLE.

16. Jun 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    haha yea i ment to say buy not but. but thanks i need some to hold my jet skis down.

17. Sep 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I have seen a cracked composite bed in person. It was on a car lot and the salesman said that the owner had tied down a motorcycle/4-wheeler down too tight.. The salesman is a Douchebag and I didn't buy the truck... even though "it had brand new 20"rims that were like 3000 dollars" <-- his only pitch for it...:rolleyes:

18. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Most utility truck and trailer body shops have “D” rings in about any size you want most often they weld the brackets and rings to the body as tie downs. They have any thing from ¼ to ¾ inch and they are not expensive. I bought two 5/6 “D” rings for under $6 then I bought common flat iron bent it around the “D” rings in a vice bored a ½” hole in the flat iron cut off the uneven ends and ground the ends smooth. I removed the bed bolt drove the washer off put the “D” ring setup on then the washer and bolted it back down total cost of about $11 dealer wanted close to $50 for both rings.

Products Discussed in

To Top