1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any way to add D-rings without dremel?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgrande, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jun 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Just picked up my extra D-rings today and I'm excited to perform my first mod!!!! One problem, I don't have a dremel to file down the washer like it's shown in the how to thread. Does anyone have any alternatives? I'd hate to shell out the money right now for a dremel, although it's a good tool to have, it's not in my imeadiate budget. I'm a little hesitant to take my bolts out before I know for sure I can finish the job. Thanks.

2. Jun 1, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    sonjason

sonjason Pink Taco Lover

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    85 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Yota
    Grab a file and use some elbow grease... but be prepared to be there a while.

3. Jun 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I mounted mine on the sides of the bed just off the floor at the cabin end. That way you don't have to do cut outs in any bed mat if you have one.....with the metal plate backing, I am convinced it provides every bit of strength, and likely more when pulled up on, than having it mounted to the floor of the bed. I mounted them just high enough sao when the rings are folded down, they are about 1/4" off the bed floor.

4. Jun 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
  5. Jun 1, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    +1
    This is where the instructions that come with the OE D-Rings actually say to do...so it's what I did too. They come with the backer plates for this.

6. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Do we know he's talking about TOYOTA D rings? Why would he need to drill them out if they were?

Do you have a tap and die kit? You can use a tap to open up the hole more.

7. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Yeah my plan was to use the bed bolts with new toyota D-rings. BFH? I'm assuming you just used a "big f'ing hammer" to flatten the washer out? I fell a little behind today, so I'm gonna end up doing this tomorrow when I know I have enough daylight to take my time and make it perfect. I think I will look into the side mount, it may come into handy if/when I decide on a toolbox. Anyone got pics or a quick how to? Just so I get an idea.

EDIT: JUST FOUND THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAME WITH THE D-RINGS. BUT HAS ANYONE EVER PLACED THEN ANYWHERE OTHER THAN WHERE THEY TELL YOU TO?

8. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Where did the instructions suggest?

9. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.
    I took out the bed bolts. Held them with a vise grip against the bumper of my work truck and then I used a saws all (but you could use a hack saw) to cut off a slice of the washer under the bed bolt. I put the blade right nest to the head of the bolt and let her rip. Filed the edge and put the OEM d ring that I bought right under it. Worked great!

10. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    you could use a hacksaw. or a grinder.

11. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Going to all that trouble to use the bed bolts is.......masochistic. Just drill new holes and install!!!!!

12. Jun 1, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I remember reading somewhere either on this forum or TN that there is one spot that you can drill and install the D-Ring without having to use the bed bolts and dremel.

This guy just enlarged the drain holes:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/20960-added-extra-d-rings-easy-cheap-mod.html

There was another thread somewhere where the guy took a measurement from the corner and installed them. I just ordered four to put in mine but I going on vacation for a month so it will have to wait. When I get back I will put it up on the lift and check things out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

13. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Alright guys, just did it!! It took a little longer than it should have, but it turned out great.

I went out and picked up a grinder bit for my drill to take the place of a dremel. But I couldn't wait for my battery to charge, so I ended up doing the first one by hand.
    [​IMG]

By the time I was done with the first one my drill was ready and I got busy
    [​IMG]

Finished product, my first mod :headbang:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jun 2, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I am with you on that one..

15. Jun 2, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Looks good mgrande. You will use them often. I think it is the most used mod on my truck.

16. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4

Betcha! With the backing plate, this thing isn't going to be pulled out, no way, if you just drill a hole and install, even on the side.

17. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4

You are correct, but not for it's given use. The D-Ring installed into the bed will match the bed mount up to the recommended wieght capacity of the truck bed. The bed mount is stronger, but my point is that going to all the trouble some have is overkill based on it's intended use.

18. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    There is a thread on here somewhere where a guy just knocked the washer off and slid the D ring on and then put the washer back on.

Its on this forum. I'll try to find it. It sounded pretty simple.

EDIT:

Sorry, he used a dremel...

19. Jun 3, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I used an angle grinder ($10 at a Harbor Freight store). Sliced right through the washer so I didn't have to remove it. If I didn't have the grinder, as said, I would've smacked it with a hammer and discarded the washer. It's not necessary for this application.

IMG_4947_ac6a263420cff51a61bc5e97a15d10e4806db36b.jpg

20. Jun 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Interesting points...but I have not seen one single "cracked bed" on TW....is there one? Has anyone had a cracked bed, or a crack development in the bed? Personally, I think they are stronger than steel.

Products Discussed in

To Top