Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A/C service

Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
A/C service

The a/c isn't that cold on my 2007 prerunner - is it just cos it's getting toasty in Phx or does it need service/regassing/whatever? How often is new freon required?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check the temp.....Anything below 55* is acceptable..

And yes...Its getting hotter here.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

You use a thermometer in front of the vent?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
You use a thermometer in front of the vent?
A cooking thermometer in a vent will do the trick.
I find these work well:
Old 06-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
A cooking thermometer in a vent will do the trick.
I find these work well:
Thanks. If the city would let me build a car port on the side of my house (like almost every other house in my neighborhood has) then that would solve half of my problems!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks. If the city would let me build a car port on the side of my house (like almost every other house in my neighborhood has) then that would solve half of my problems!
I hear ya... Do you have a Sun Shade? It helps a bit.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
I hear ya... Do you have a Sun Shade? It helps a bit.
Yes, but often lack the motivation to use it! I do use it if I'm leaving the car for a while (to reduce sun damage to the dash). I've heard of broken windshields using them (due to overheating) so I use mine on the outside, trapped at either end by the doors.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, but often lack the motivation to use it! I do use it if I'm leaving the car for a while (to reduce sun damage to the dash). I've heard of broken windshields using them (due to overheating) so I use mine on the outside, trapped at either end by the doors.
I have used it that way, also. Seems to work a little better. Until someone took it off my truck. I just put it behind the window now.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How often is new freon required?
Only when it leaks out!!!
Refrigerant never goes bad and if more is needed it has leaked and the leak needs to be fixed.

Yuma Taco,
Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Its hot in Auburn right now. It sucks. It was like 97F today.

Peter, Is your truck not cooling off as fast as it used to? Mine is the same way
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Its hot in Auburn right now. It sucks. It was like 97F today.

Peter, Is your truck not cooling off as fast as it used to? Mine is the same way

I thought so, but it's probably just 'start of the summer blues' whereby I'm not used to the heat.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
It's hot but, mine seems to cool it down pretty quick. One trick is blast it at first on max but after about 2-3min take the fan down a notch. It'll get colder air and you've already blasted the extremely hot air out by that point.

As for sun shades, make sure you leave your windows cracked a hair. I have the vent visors on the front windows so you can't even tell they're open, and if it rains it won't get in. That helps reduce the cabin temp by probably 20 degrees (never verified with a thermometer but it is noticeable). Then if you leave your sun shade in the car, should never have a problem as it's vented. I've lived in AZ all my life (Tucson/Phoenix), and never seen a car have a windshield crack due to a sun visor... ever....

Also, my truck stays parked outside, in front of my near white heat reflecting garage door.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought so, but it's probably just 'start of the summer blues' whereby I'm not used to the heat.
I think so too.

Im scared to turn up my AC to Max. The last time I did it (yesterday) It made an almost "crunch" noise.

Anyways I usually leave my windows down until my AC can pick up the temp on LO and 2 notches above
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
The_05 is on a distinguished road

The_05's Tacoma Gallery
Your A/C system will not be able to handle that high of air temps instantly it takes time 55* as stated above is about right I would shoot for 45* from the center passenger side duct this is the closest to the evaporator core. The best way to test you A/C system is to get a manifold gauge set and test your A/C system with max load on the system. A/C on coldest setting vent closed DOOR OR WINDOWS OPEN and on high blower estimating the ambient air temp. is 100* high side air preesure could be around 220psi-270psi they can be higher because of other factors. My high side reading for 85* here in Texas was higher than norm but thats due to high hummidity and Toyota using an H-Block thermostatic control valve.