1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Blacked out tail lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rmb_crew, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 at 2:53 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew [OP] My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    i dont think there is a thread on this yet but if there is heres another one.

Tools:
    10mm socket
    flat head screw driver
    320 grit sand paper
    clear coat of your choice
    VHT Nite Shade
    Painters tape(if you really want it)

So i picked up a can of VHT Night Shade and i already had some clear coat sitting around. So start by removing your tail lights. Really easy just two bolts, the ones with no washers, and it pops right out with a little pull.
    [​IMG]

take out all the bulbs, for the 09's LED its got a funny little plug just pull it out and tuck the other end back in the light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After both are removed i cleaned them off with some windex and wet paper towels and dried them off. Than did 2 coats of night shade and let it fully try. About and hr and it was good. Than wet sanded it with 320 grit paper that was soaked in water. Than let wiped it all off with a clean cloth and let it fully dry. Than on with the last coat of night shade. After that dried i put 2 coats of clear. I wanted the flat look so mine was flat clear coat. You can get the gloss stuff and do the same. After it all dries just slide them back in, i used a cloth to hold them so i would get any finger prints on them incase it wasnt fully dry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And stand back and admire your work.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top