Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bike rack attachment

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
nurseboy has a spectacular aura aboutnurseboy has a spectacular aura about

nurseboy's Tacoma Gallery
bike rack attachment

I just bought beach cruisers for my girl friend and I and I was just wondering/wanting suggestions on where to buy bike racks. Should I go with the one that attaches to the roof rack or get the attachment like this one...

this one cost $54 dollars I believe and I have to use the existing bed cleats for it. Any suggestions or comments? Will my beach cruisers fit this?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Try Rocky Mounts

http://www.rockymounts.com/clutch

Roughly the same price, and you don't have to use up a cleat.

I've been using one of their clutch fork mounts and some extra of the hardware they talk about to integrate it to the tiedown system (bought a wheel holder and use the Rocky Mount hardware to attach it to the bed so it won't move around) for over 2 years, and I can't complain at all.

EDIT: You want the Clutch SD towards the bottom. Also, if you call they will sell/send you some of the extra hardware. Also, their screws are torx, and that's better security because someone's unlikely to have one of those on hand to steal something.

One other quick question: if it is a beach cruiser, you may want to be sure that your front wheel(s) have quick release axles. Otherwise, it will be a pain using a mount that requires removing the front wheel.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
Try Rocky Mounts

http://www.rockymounts.com/clutch

Roughly the same price, and you don't have to use up a cleat.

I've been using one of their clutch fork mounts and some extra of the hardware they talk about to integrate it to the tiedown system (bought a wheel holder and use the Rocky Mount hardware to attach it to the bed so it won't move around) for over 2 years, and I can't complain at all.

EDIT: You want the Clutch SD towards the bottom. Also, if you call they will sell/send you some of the extra hardware. Also, their screws are torx, and that's better security because someone's unlikely to have one of those on hand to steal something.

One other quick question: if it is a beach cruiser, you may want to be sure that your front wheel(s) have quick release axles. Otherwise, it will be a pain using a mount that requires removing the front wheel.
Which one did you purchase? From what I read the Clutch SD has everything i need including the "extra hardware" you bought. I like this because I dont waste any of my bed cleats and this is like an extra tie down..

NM. I answered it right when I was posting...thanks. I think the front tires comes off just 1 bolt. I don't think its like a quick release mechanism
Old 06-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
SuperWhiteDC09 is on a distinguished road
SuperWhiteDC09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SuperWhiteDC09
Hey if I were you I would make your own bike rack and save some money.
Buy two of these
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400007_400172
then go to lowes and buy washers (eight i used two washers per bolt)the same size as the metal part on the tie down clamps that fit into your bedrail. then use the bolt and nuts that come with the fork clamps and mount them right onto your bed rail. It looks really slick and saves you money. Send me a message if you have any questions.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWhiteDC09 View Post
Buy two of these
then go to lowes and buy washers (eight i used two washers per bolt)the same size as the metal part on the tie down clamps that fit into your bedrail. then use the bolt and nuts that come with the fork clamps and mount them right onto your bed rail. It looks really slick and saves you money. Send me a message if you have any questions.

If you go the DIY route, I believe using 2 washers in the bed rail is key. I did this but only used 1 washer. After mounting the bikes on the mount and tightening down the bolt, the washers bent. It's definitely possibly to make your own though. I used JB Weld on mine to hold the nut to the back of the washer that the bolt threads into.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Buy two of these
Sounds like that would work, too.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Buy two of these
This is somewhat confusing? What same size bolts are you rtalking that fit into my bedrail for the tie down clamps? If you are talking about the bed cleats, those are not physical screwed into the rail with a bolt? and with this system, I don't see any holes in the product itself to bolt it down into the rail...can you take pictures of yours?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
SuperWhiteDC09 is on a distinguished road
SuperWhiteDC09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SuperWhiteDC09
I am talking about the bolts that would come with the bike clamps. You need to find washers that are the same size of the bed cleat that came with your truck so you can secure the bike clamp to the bed rail the same way that your bed cleats clamp to the bed rail.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Scored 2 of the locking rocky mounts clutch. Thanks above for the link.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:

If you mount bikes to these type of mounts, don't you usually have to remove the front wheels anyways for the fork up front to attach to the bike mount?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseboy View Post
If you mount bikes to these type of mounts, don't you usually have to remove the front wheels anyways for the fork up front to attach to the bike mount?
Yes, but most mtn. bikes have a quick disconnect front wheel. Unless you have that on your bikes, you'll have to have a tool (sockets, etc.) to remove the front wheel of the bike. The quick disconnect ones have a little lever that you just "open" (kind of like the mounts) vs. the ones that don't have it just have a nut on either end of a bolt that is the axle.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes, but most mtn. bikes have a quick disconnect front wheel. Unless you have that on your bikes, you'll have to have a tool (sockets, etc.) to remove the front wheel of the bike. The quick disconnect ones have a little lever that you just "open" (kind of like the mounts) vs. the ones that don't have it just have a nut on either end of a bolt that is the axle.

K yea. I bought Paul Frank beach cruisers and both front tires don't have quick release axles to remove the front tires, they require you to bolt them on and off, but I don't really mind doing it. Its just a bolt per bike. And I don't want to spend hundreds on other bike mounts that can go on the roof rack that don't need the tires to be removed.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
K yea. I bought Paul Frank beach cruisers and both front tires don't have quick release axles to remove the front tires, they require you to bolt them on and off, but I don't really mind doing it. Its just a bolt per bike. And I don't want to spend hundreds on other bike mounts that can go on the roof rack that don't need the tires to be removed.
Cool deal. Won't really be that big of a deal unless you're carrying them all the time from place to place. Was just making sure you knew it'd be more of a hassle than the roof mounts to use. Hope whatever you choose to do, it works well for ya!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
My girlfriend got me this one for Christmas. Tried it for the 1st time last weekend. Like it a lot. Good system.

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=22&sku=956
Old 06-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #15
tjbee2003 is on a distinguished road
tjbee2003's Tacoma Gallery
Transport Bicycle WITHOUT the rack?

Isn't there a way to transport bicycles without using a rack and just use tie downs instead?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbee2003 View Post
Isn't there a way to transport bicycles without using a rack and just use tie downs instead?
To both of you I say get the motorcycle tiedowns that have hooks on both ends with the cleat thing in the middle that you just pull on to tighten. I use these for the cruisers I have or for any other bike when you just don't wanna pull the wheel off. They come in real handy when you just wanna jump in someone else's rig & they don't have any mounts too or for that 3rd bike facing backwards in the middle of 2 others already using the mounts. The hooks are coated & they are open enough to go over handlebars or grab to brake lever mount, many options on grab points. I'll try to find pic of them..........Here, cam straps, check these out, comes in different colors. Just hook hooks on both ends & pull tight.
http://www.strapworks.com/ProductDet...tCode=MOTOCS2N
Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #17

how do these work? and I id want something i can lock down onto the truck so i know its secure if i ever have to walk away from it.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
tacomatx is on a distinguished road

Name: Sambeux
tacomatx's Tacoma Gallery
I have the one in the top pic that mounts into the factory rail system and it works like a champ!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatx View Post
I have the one in the top pic that mounts into the factory rail system and it works like a champ!!!
As long as you're not trying to haul multiple toys like this.............

...or let's say 2 kayaks on top. Handlebars to high with bedrail mounts. That's when you need the straps or the fork mounts mounted to a board on the floor of the bed. Options, gotta have options. No one thing works in every situation.