Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Auto LSD

Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
jiles111 has a spectacular aura aboutjiles111 has a spectacular aura aboutjiles111 has a spectacular aura about

jiles111's Tacoma Gallery
09 Auto LSD

I know what it is, and how it works, but one thing I noticed that if you turn off the traction control (With the button) the "Auto LSD" light comes on only when you are in 2WD. When you are in 4 hi the "traction control off" lite never comes on, and the "Auto LSD On" never comes on. In 4 LO the "Traction Control off" light comes on, but the Auto LSD does not. Is it available in 4x4 or just 2WD only.
What gives lol.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
New system configuration for 2009, I'm still waiting to hear how it behaves in tough off-road situation. If it has ATRAC, it is supposed to have 4 wheel LSD in 4 low. Someone needs to test this out....
Old 06-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
With the rear locker on 4wd Low, the auto lsd is off. I think if you don't engage the rear locker, the auto lsd is on at 4wd low.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
if you push and hold the button while stopped, it turns off vsc, And auto lsd..
I was pretty disappointed when we got some snow right after i bought my truck, And went to get sideways in the snow and all these lights and buzzers came on and the brakes started locking up and such....
Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Or you can just do the abs, lsd, and auto trac mod that turns all of those off. Search "cheap free mods". It's a simple mod.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
jiles111 has a spectacular aura aboutjiles111 has a spectacular aura aboutjiles111 has a spectacular aura about

Mine does not have the locker.
The buttons only work in 2wd. In 4hi and 4lo the buttons are inactive. You can hold them in for hours and nothing happens lol.

I am not sure if I have the atrac or not. The book states you turn it off and on by the button on the steering wheel. I have the button with the truck and swirly lines behind it, but it only works in 2wd.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #7

This is from the book

'Auto LSD System operation:
The system can be used on 2WD models and in 2WD mode on
4WD models."

And

Turning off TRAC and VSC
Push and hold the button for
more than 3 seconds while the
vehicle is stopped to turn off both
TRAC and VSC.
The VSC OFF indicator light
should come on.
Push the button again to turn both
systems back on.

Automatic reactivation of TRAC and VSC
Turning the engine switch off after turning off the TRAC and VSC systems
will automatically re-enable them.

Automatic TRAC reactivation (AUTO LSD mode)
With AUTO LSD mode, VSC OFF and AUTO LSD indicator lights turn on.
The TRAC system will turn on when the vehicle speed increases.

Automatic TRAC and VSC reactivation
If the TRAC and VSC systems are turned off, the systems will not turn on
even when vehicle speed increases.

Sounds and vibrations caused by the ABS, TRAC, VSC, brake assist
and hill-start assist control system. A sound may be heard from the engine compartment when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This sound does not indicate that a malfunction has occurred in any of these systems. Any of the following conditions may occur when the above systems are operating. None of these indicates that a malfunction has occurred.
• Vibrations may be felt through the vehicle body and steering.
• A motor sound may be heard after the vehicle comes to a stop.
• The brake pedal may pulsate slightly when the ABS is activated.
• The brake pedal may move down slightly after the ABS is activated.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Very confusing.... So the simple answer is??
When in 2WD on the road I assume the TRAC and VSC are on and no lights apear?
What about when you put it in 4HI? No lights come on, so does that mean I should hold the button until the light comes on? The auto LSD is supposed to give you more traction correct?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
fishshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiles111 View Post
Mine does not have the locker.
The buttons only work in 2wd. In 4hi and 4lo the buttons are inactive. You can hold them in for hours and nothing happens lol.

I am not sure if I have the atrac or not. The book states you turn it off and on by the button on the steering wheel. I have the button with the truck and swirly lines behind it, but it only works in 2wd.
You should be able to turn off the vsc in 4 hi by pushing the button and holding it down while stopped. I don't know if this turns off trac in this situation, I haven't tried it. If you have A-trac, there will be a button above the front cup holders and below the little cubby hole, and an A-trac light on the instrument panel that comes on in 4 lo when it is engaged. If you have a locker, you can engage both the locker and A-trac, which then will only work the front wheels. The locker engaged turns off ABS.
Hitting vsc button once in 2 wd will engage the ALSD and turn off vsc, until a certain speed, where ALSD will stay on and the vsc will come back on. ALSD will give you more traction by limiting wheel spin with the brakes, without the vsc tinkering with the throttle. Use ALSD when VSC is would prevent you from using full throttle because of wheel spin, like on a muddy road, or coming up the side of a ditch. If you hold the VSC button down for a few second while stopped in 2 wd, it will turn off the ALSD and VSC and it will act like a regular differential with no interference from the computer. Got it?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Tacoma's Quest!
Mon Leb is on a distinguished road

Mon Leb's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

2WD mode only when you have a 4WD.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
New system configuration for 2009, I'm still waiting to hear how it behaves in tough off-road situation. If it has ATRAC, it is supposed to have 4 wheel LSD in 4 low. Someone needs to test this out....
It works, and seems to work well. But, it's a bit shaky and noisy, especially when real wet. The DAC is the same way, it works, but it lets you know it's working. When A-Trac detects wheel spin, it brakes that wheel HARD and doesn't waste any time doing it. I was playing on a gravel pile with it a while back. I could hear one of the tires let loose and then a stuttering and BAM, that tire was locked and the truck would keep putting along. There are few You Tube vids of FJs using it.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #12
Tacoma's Quest!

Mon Leb's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Very confusing.... So the simple answer is??
When in 2WD on the road I assume the TRAC and VSC are on and no lights apear?
What about when you put it in 4HI? No lights come on, so does that mean I should hold the button until the light comes on? The auto LSD is supposed to give you more traction correct?
In 2WD mode like you said no lights appears and the systems are "ON".In 4WD HI mode you cannot turn "Off" the auto LSD/VSC, so it's useless to hold that button in that mode. The LSD is a system that controls gas/brakes by the means of a computer to help control the vehicle when one of the rear wheel spins you're right.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
ok, so the LSD is always on and when I put it in 4HI I dont have to worry about doing anything else right?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Leb View Post
In 2WD mode like you said no lights appears and the systems are "ON".In 4WD HI mode you cannot turn "Off" the auto LSD/VSC, so it's useless to hold that button in that mode. The LSD is a system that controls gas/brakes by the means of a computer to help control the vehicle when one of the rear wheel spins you're right.

??

And the ALSD should NOT interefere with the throttle control.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Tacoma's Quest!

Mon Leb's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishshooter View Post
??

I don't know bud, maybe it's because you have a "Off Road" model and I have a "Sport". I'll check it out and let you know. You sure your on 4 Hi not Lo ?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Tacoma's Quest!

Mon Leb's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishshooter View Post
??

Damned YOU'RE RIGHT! Just went to check it out in my truck and it does the same as yours. So sorry! But my owner's manuel says this:

I'll ask at the dealer tomorrow to clarify this.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
Tacoma's Quest!

Mon Leb's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
ok, so the LSD is always on and when I put it in 4HI I dont have to worry about doing anything else right?
FishShooter's right. I didn't know it was possible to turn that system "Off" in 4WD HI mode but it is, just did it in my truck. But the owner's manuel says otherwise (see my pic of the owner's manuel underlined in red). So trying to help you I guess I just found out I was as much confused .
All my apologies!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #18

Umm Ok here is something strange. I was out Storm Chasing yesterday on a long dirt road. I was parked on the side looking for rotation and noticed that I was going to get hit by the dust front. Well I took off and got a little exited and pressed on the gas and the tires let go for about 2 seconds. Then the traction "Beep" came on, then all of a sudden the truck turned off the main traction control and turned on the AUTO LSD. Was this normal? I thought that I had to do this manually.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I had something similar happen to me. I had to back on to a concrete curb with wet grass (parking lot style) and one of my rear wheels got up there first and sliped a little on the grass, all of a sudden, I hear some beeping and next thing I know both wheels are on the curb. It happened really fast and I was on the phone so I can't be sure exactly what lights came on.