1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Frequency Noise???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rzimm001, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Hey guys I have a strange high frequency noise that comes on as soon as you turn the key on but not necessarily when the engine is running. Near as I can tell it is the electronics under the dash that runs the fuel pump. It's not loud at all but its there as long as the car is running or of course the key is turned. It's just really annoying and I didn't hear it until recently. Any ideas or should I just ask Toyota??

Thanks

2. Jun 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Is your Wife/Girlfriend in the truck when this noise occures?

3. Jun 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    06sportaco

06sportaco FOP @ 45

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    WheatherTech Mats, step bars, Ipod2car, CK3100 Parrot Bluetooth
    :eek::popcorn:

4. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    moconnor11

moconnor11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 red TRD Sport
    red calipers
    I have the same thing, but I have found out that it is from the AC. Try that.

5. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    jiles111

jiles111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Abilene, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 RegCab 4x4 Super White
    In my old nissan I had a small piece of a trash bag that got stuck right next to the fan in the dash. On Low I could hear a high pictched whine. On any other speed it would go away. :eek:

Do you hear it more in the drivers side close to the gas spout outside? If so then it probably is the fuel pump.

6. Jun 4, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    moconnor11

moconnor11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 red TRD Sport
    red calipers

7. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Haha no no fortunately not. I don't think Toyota would be able to help me with that one anyhow :p. I know it has nothing to do with the A/C because I turned it off when I focused in on the noise. Also it can't be my aftermarket stereo system because that all comes on when you turn the key the first click and I don't hear it at that point. I can only hear it on the last click before cranking over the engine. And the only thing else I can hear is the fuel pump running under the truck. Any ideas?:confused:

8. Jun 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    yea turn your system up so you can hear it. haha man we need to hit up the trails again.

9. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Do you have an aftermarket stereo?

Usually sounds like that are caused by bad connections, particularly grounds that will feed into your stereo. I just got one since I installed my aftermarket stereo, but I have no intentions of tracking it down. It just makes me think theres a supercharger under the hood and reminds me to save money to get a real one! :)

10. Jun 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    Shawny33

Shawny33 New Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sport Grey
    I can hear the same damn thing. It sounds like it comes from one or more of the speakers. You can only hear it if you are paying close attention. I don't have an aftermarket system. It has to do with electronics, but I don't know what.

11. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    I have heard it too. But I am not sensitive to those high frequency noises but my little brother is, every time we go somewhere he complains about it. Its not A/C and not stereo

12. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    If you turn the key to the last click before the engine start you can here something running uner the engine bay. I believe whatever that device is running is causing the noise. From what I understand the fuel pump is in the rear of the truck so that can't be it. Smog pump??? Someone at my work mentioned that but i have no clue if that's true. One more reason to get old quick and lose my better hearing haha

13. Aug 8, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    trdferguson

trdferguson Active Member

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC/SB TRD Sport
    Any headway on the issue? 'Cause I just bought an 08 Tacoma and that "dog whistle" noise is driving me crazy; super high frequency! I've heard it may be the ECU.. it sounds like its coming from behind the glove box. Its not the AC cause I rarely use it and its never on, and its not the stereo 'cause its there when the stereo is off. The truck doesnt have to be running, just the electrical system engaged. Any word? Thanks!

14. Aug 8, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    trdferguson

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    I also heard that this was a common problem to all 2008s... can other 2008 Taco owners verify? Do you have this problem?

15. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    I have it sounds like its from the middle of the interior somewhere.

16. Aug 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Haven't found a fix yet. I can only guess that it is part of the trucks computer system and won't go away. If anyone discovers a fix let the rest of us know :)

17. Aug 9, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I haven't heard it in my '08... usually I'm really sensitive to high freq noises (seriously I can hear the damn tv (on, no signal, no white noise or any speaker) in the room above me with my door closed.... I'll try to pay more attention when I move my truck but... I'd probably have noticed it by now.

Also, just because the radio is off, doesn't mean you can't be getting some feedback from poor grounding or wiring from something else driving through the speakers.... just some food for thought.

18. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    trdferguson

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well the dealer here has looked at it for the second time now, and finally a manager was able to hear it (though at first he shrugged it off saying he didn't..) I told him I found that it seems to be originating from under the passengers side dash, possibly the blower motor or somewhere near there. So he got underneath and sure enough, he heard it. So he started messing around with the ECM/ECU (same thing right?) and what ho?; the noise stopped.
    He told me he will be calling Toyota to find out if there is a fix for this (the noise is still there, just while he was playing with it it would stop then start again..). He also brought out an '06 and it had the same noise. I'm hoping it was just a bad batch of cheap electronics and it isn't a problem with literally EVERY Tacoma on the market.. The mechanic and the service rep both could not hear the noise, lucky them... For you sensitive ear types, I'll keep you posted as to what they say

19. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Good find, sounds like it's just a shotty connection or routing is causing some interference since it went away giggling it. I listened to mine ever since this post, never heard it on my '08, but now that I know where to look I'll check again.... Also for ref my truck was assembled in cali.

20. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

Products Discussed in

To Top